Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • So, my S4 mini got 4.4.2 and ANT+ this weekend – recommend me a HRM…
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Operating system now upgraded so I want to get a HRM that will interface with Strava. Any users of this setup on the other Samsung S4/S5 that has already had this upgrade. Real world experience preferred rather than wild speculation…

muddy9mtb

list of compatible ant+ products here, then go and find one on ebay or something. I managed to pick up a branded hrm for 99p! bonzer http://www.thisisant.com/directory

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

S4 has ant+?

Ohhhhhhh 🙂 why have they taken so long to switch it on?

[edit] how do i switch it on and how do i get it to work with strava?

Deveron53
    Free Member

Check your software version. I just got the upgrade to 4.4.2 this weekend. The s4 mini was a bit late getting it’s upgrade. I’m still stumbling about in the dark so I may have got it wrong about ANT+, hence my questions…

BrickMan

At least you got an update for the S4, back when I had an S1 then S2 they would just not realse the big firmware updates so you were stuck with launch or whatever folk on XDA developer forum could cunjure up.

If it had ANT+ it would have had it from launch surely, its a hardware capability not software.

Strava doesn’t work with ANT+ but it does with Bluetooth (inc BT4.x low power), yet….

kbomb
    Free Member

Most Sony Xperia phones have ant+, which I’ve got and used with this strap:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-cardio-belt-cycle-computer-accessory-id_8181212.html

The strap works as well as any other, haven’t seen it spiking, or dropping any data. As above, the strava app doesn’t work with ant+ yet, but if you use an app like IpBike, it uploads the workout data, including heart rate data, straight to Strava, as well as any other training site you use. Works well for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve just googled it and apprently it was activated a year ago!

If it had ANT+ it would have had it from launch surely, its a hardware capability not software.

Apparently even the S3 has an ant+ chip. I’m guessing it’s something inbult to a generic chipset that most phones probably have, but few designers choose to actualy implement, after all the actual transmitter bit’s the same 2.4GHz as Wi-Fi, bluetooth, etc.

smcneil
    Free Member

Hi Deveron53,

Did you have any luck connecting an ant+ strap? I’m considering getting an s4 mini, and it would be nice to not have to use the usb dongle.

If it does work, is there any chance you could confirm the model number of your mini, (i9195 etc)

Cheers,
    Stephen

rp16v
    Free Member

Noooo I’m gutted smashed my s4 mini last week this my get me to get it fixed quicker

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m none the wiser.

I’ve given up trying to find out if I can attach a HRM to my s4 mini and create Strava compatible GPS/HRM files. I’ll hand the baton to someone else now.

No doubt I’ll get loads of suggestions for what I should buy. I haven’t got £300 to spend on a Garmin whatever but if it’s less than £100 all-in…

drofluf
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Mio wrist sensor which I’m happy with so far – less than a week old though.

Otherwise I’m selling my 3 month old chest strap – Bluetooth only- if anyone’s interested

verses

Not sure how helpful this is but it’s related 🙂

I have a Sony Z1 Compact with ANT+ and use a Garmin HRM with it running the Endomondo app. Within the Endo settings it was an option, when I enabled it it wanted to add extra drivers and since then it “just works”. I don’t need to enable anything, just as soon as I launch Endo it detects the HRM.

I’ve not tried with the Strava app, but based on what others have said above I assume it wouldn’t work.

verses

Scratch that last line, this review suggests it should work with the Strava App too;

Strava Review

rp16v
    Free Member

I’m planing on using mine with the giant ant+ sensor when the bike arives

smcneil
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear if anyone with an s4 mini (or s5 mini) has managed to pair any ant+ devices, there seems to be mixed messages coming from Samsung about ant+ support on these phones. Funny as it’s better technology than Bluetooth low energy

markgraylish
    Free Member

This may, or may not help, but I got a Wahoo Tickr hrm and Blue SC cadence sensor last week. Both are BT Low energy and Ant+ compatible and I’ve linked them to my Galaxy Tab 4 running 4.4.2
    The free Wahoo Fitness app will manage the connection and automatically upload direct to Strava (and a few other apps)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘So, my S4 mini got 4.4.2 and ANT+ this weekend – recommend me a HRM…’ is closed to new replies.