• This topic has 30 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dooge.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • So my nephew won a Reverb on eBay without me knowing…
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hi all,

So, I trusted my phone to my nephew this evening to play a racing game and when he gave it back he had bid and won on a Reverb I was watching on eBay! Only thing I can assume was a notification came up and he clicked on it as it was ending soon and bidded.

He only entered in one price and won it! Great, Ive wanted one for awhile except that I cannot afford it at the moment and was watching them for a few weeks time. Also, the Reverb he has won has been listed for ‘parts and not working’ as its got a very slow return and needs help getting all the way up. This is the description:

‘Here is my Reverb seat post, I’ve listed it as spares as it doesn’t return properly, it will lift all the way to the top (with help) and hold its position (no sagging) and returns but both are very slow and sometimes it wont lift up at all. possible easy fix may need a new lever assy I’m not sure’

Ive sent the seller an apologetic message explaining what has happened and I have offered to pay listing fees but I have heard nothing back.

The other option is to pay for it and take my chances but I have read horror stories of reliability issues and dont really want to take the risk. Is it likely to need a good drain and bleed or is it something more expensive?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Sounds like it just needs a bleed and possibly air pressure. Easy enough but you’d need a kit. If it was a good price it could be worth a gamble but could need service and seals, same with any second hand Reverb so always a gamble.

bruneep

Only thing I can assume was a notification came up and he clicked on it as it was ending soon and bidded

rubs chinny chin Hmmmmm takes more than 1 click to confirm a bid also he would’ve had to enter an amount to bid would he not?

dooge
    Free Member

Yeh, true. Im not mechanically incompetent, a pair of Lyriks is easy enough but the Reverb service procedure seems ridiculously long winded. He bid £101 but won it for £97. I wouldnt put it past him to set up a new bank account, transfer all my money out and leave me broke! Hes that good on my phone its scary. Definitely a learning curve for me.

Ive seen perfectly working ones go for £130 which was what I was looking to pay eventually.

bigblackshed

Or just don’t pay for it if you don’t want it.

Not the way to deal on eBay, you’re bid is legally binding, but then that doesn’t stop all of the time wasters. Request the seller withdraw your bid, apologise, and move on with your life.

Or take a punt, buy a service kit and get cracking.

Slogo
    Free Member

sounds like it just needs some air.

d45yth
    Free Member

It’s not worth chancing it – I’ve an old Reverb that returns slow as well…turns out that I let it wear too much and it was going to cost more than what’s it worth to fix it.
    I then had further trouble with the replacement I bought, but at least it was covered under warranty.
    You can buy Reverb’s new for £150 from Germany…your LBS can still sort out warranty work.

dooge
    Free Member

Cancelling the sale is the route I have been thinking, thanks for your help gents.

stu170
    Free Member

EBay legally binding? Really?

oli31
    Free Member

Could be the wrong weight oil in it, proper reverb oil is really thin and thicker oil causes really slow return

Superficial
    Free Member

Or the lever just needs a bleed. But I wouldn’t take that risk if you can get a working one for £30 more…

The nephew story sounds like a rouse though. I mean, what are the chances of someone that didn’t know what they were doing entering a bid that was within ~5% of the estimated value? My nephew would either enter 20p or £50k. If you’re having buyer’s remorse, just cancel the bid. Plenty of other people seem to do it. Anyway, good luck with it.

bigblackshed

eBay T&C. Have a read of the little pop up box whe you place a bid.

There have been a few cases were a buyer bid high, won an item, then not paid and was pursued through the courts for breach of contract. These were things like cars or boats IRC, many thousands of £ or $.

Not on a £100 seat post though. 🙂

mrmoofo

Write to ebay and the seller and explain what happened …
    And put password on your ebay account – it could have been far worse

hora
    Free Member

EBay legally binding

Who says that? Is that the new tosh on the back of ‘the spirit of ebay’?

All ebay will do is give you a none-payer strike. Means eff all as they can give you loads without ill effect.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Wining it at 97 means someone else bid 96. You could always stick it back on as a buy it now for the same price.

hora
    Free Member

Then lose to ‘bay on paypal fees as ‘bay insists you offer paypal as ‘preferred’.

Just say it was a mistake. The seller can do a second offer within seconds.

I wouldn’t touch a Reverb that needs a service- service kits (or if it needs to go away) etc ramp up the costs very quickly. Better off waiting for a sale one from Germany etc brand new.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Or, congratulate your nephew on his new purchase and ask when he’ll be paying for it.

Seriously, boundaries…

weeksy

We’ve all bought things and decided it wasn’t right and then blamed our kids… nothing to be ashamed of.

Kahurangi

He only wanted some Pringles!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Super easy to bleed takes 5 mins tops. That’s all it needs. There’s a rebound speed adjuster on the leaver maybe reset that too.

Pook

Hora, why do you abbreviate ebay to ‘bay? It’s no shorter – indeed on a mobile it’s actually longer to type ‘ than e.

Muppet.

razorrazoo

Kids ordering stuff is not so far fetched, first thing that my neighbour knew about his 8 year old locating the credit card and setting up an amazon account was the first unexpected delivery of loom bands!

xcgb
    Free Member

Hora, why do you abbreviate ebay to ‘bay? It’s no shorter – indeed on a mobile it’s actually longer to type ‘ than e.

I think you know the answer to that!

He spends all his energy being an brilliant driver 😛

hora
    Free Member

In the old days people said ‘bay almost in terms of endearing’/loveable community of people trading their wares in a lovely environment. I say ‘bay in a very derogative-way.

Same with the term ‘in the spirit of ebay’. ****.

Pook

‘ora

hora
    Free Member

P’ook. Its cos we is Y’orkshire reet?

leftyboy
    Free Member

You should buy it and either fix or re-list as they’re the ‘fair’ options.

In the meantime change your password on you phone and eBay and never ever let him use your phone again!

hora
    Free Member

He spends all his energy being an brilliant driver

Nay just being able to spot warning traffic cam road signs, developing hazzards, speed cameras etc. Mucho like any competent driver should 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I agree with Batman.

bearnecessities

The chickens?

dooge
    Free Member

Its not the first time. He spent £35 last year on donuts for The Simpsons Tapped Out game. I really should learn…

The eBay app dosent have a password unless I log out then I dont get the notifications. He couldnt have paid for it as he dosent know the password for Paypal.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘So my nephew won a Reverb on eBay without me knowing…’ is closed to new replies.