• This topic has 121 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Lifer.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • So my daughter is freaking me out a bit, any advice please.
  • fasthaggis

Teadrinker’s new bike

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

My kids do this kind of thing and we live in a new build house. It’s just kids, trust me – not ghosts.

If it’s just a random occurrence that’s that no big deal.

I mean you just have to apply your scientific views to investigate if you find something unusual or suspicious.

Lifer
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    Not all events are due to ghosts coz that’s simply illogical. The events or the scenarios as described on this thread I would say is possible.

Yeah because that’s really logical 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

Lifer – Member
    Yeah because that’s really logical

Yes, it’s logical because it happened repeatedly albeit with small sample size unique to that event/location.

The case of the “old lady” at the corner room happened several times so the only possible assumption is a paranormal activity because the alternative explanation is not possible. i.e. poisoned by the house due to fungus releasing gas/spore, chemical reaction etc.

😯

edit:

fasthaggis – Member

Teadrinker’s new bike

That’s a random association due to the model of the bike and perhaps the colour … 😛

nickc

“If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”[/i]

Said it yourself way back there.

BigJohn

If it’s only curtains don’t worry. It could be worse. She could be blind.

senorj

Me and the missus where pushing Li’l J around v large local cemetery.
    We’re not goths or’out , it’s just quiet. 🙂
    He woke up all of a sudden and said ” A smiley lady was talking to me”
    Cue mucho panic from the missus re ghosts…Nearly everyday, a smiley lady stops to admire him .
    She still thinks its a ghost.Ha.
    Should I be worried?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I used to do a similar thing when I was 2 – 3. The curtains in the lounge had a pattern on it. It was very 70’s browns, golds and dark reds with diamond shapes.

When the curtains were closed the 2 half diamonds at the top of each curtain came together to make another sort of contorted diamond.

This was called ‘The Tick’ and I was terrified of it. I would not leave the far wall of the lounge when the curtains were closed and was convinced it has an evil agenda. My folks got pretty freaked out too. It took a while for them to get me to tell them what ‘The Tick’ was. I couldn’t even talk about it at first.

I am not mental to the best of my knowledge, and I don’t believe in ghosts either. I did used to have a very vivid imagination though.

Spin
    Free Member

The case of the “old lady” at the corner room happened several times so the only possible assumption is a paranormal activity because the alternative explanation is not possible

Did you look really really hard for an alternative explanation?

chewkw
    Free Member

nickc – Member

“If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
    Said it yourself way back there.

The question is are you able to eliminate all the impossible? If not then how do you reach your truth? If yes then what impossibilities have you eliminated?

What methodology do you apply to eliminate the impossibilities? I would like to hear your logic.

😯

BigJohn – Member

… She could be blind.

That is illogical because unless the family has a genetic defect that is not a probability.

senor j – Member
    She still thinks its a ghost.Ha.
    Should I be worried?

No, unless little senor j keep repeating the same event happening again in your house with the same smiley lady.

Jef Wachowchow – Member

I am not mental to the best of my knowledge, and I don’t believe in ghosts either. I did used to have a very vivid imagination though.

You don’t know at that time because you were a kid and, my assumption is nobody told you to be afraid but yet you were afraid, yet reacted with fear. So why were you afraid of the pattern?

For me as a kid I was hallucinating due to high fever …

Lifer
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    What methodology do you apply to eliminate the impossibilities? I would like to hear your logic.

i) No evidence for ghosts in the history of the world, ever.
    ii) See i)

chewkw
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

chewkw – Member

i) No evidence for ghosts in the history of the world, ever.
    ii) See i) [/quote]

i) That’s does not mean you have eliminated the impossibilities because you are making an assumption that No evidence are probable.

ii) See i)

What methodology(s) have you applied to come up with your conclusion? Research publication? Hear say speculation?

🙄

prawny

My eldest used to do this thing when he was little when he would name and point to himself, me, his mom and then say ‘and you’ and point to an empty space next to us. It was odd. The cat would often freak out staring into space too.

Our house was only built in 1991 and there’s no local Indian burial grounds as far as I know.

chewkw
    Free Member

prawny – Member
    The cat would often freak out staring into space too.

This is interesting because I noticed my cousin’s cat doing the same thing when I stayed in their guest room. Their house is known to be haunted. 😯

prawny – Member
    Our house was only built in 1991 and there’s no local Indian burial grounds as far as I know.

Not necessary burial grounds. Sometimes it could just be “passing visitor(s)” that dropped by. Check the history of that local area.

Lifer
    Free Member

Brilliant.

chewkw
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

Brilliant.

Indeed.

Where are the scientific research papers?
    See you’ve not eliminated the impossibilities.

😛

teadrinker
    Free Member

Impossible fasthaggis – it’s not a 29er.

Tonight she got me to wave at the “lady” and promptly followed it up with “hello ladies bot bot” 😆

Ghost or not, mini teadrinker is awesome and makes me laugh so much.

chewkw
    Free Member

teadrinker – Member

That bike is ugly … 🙄

unknown
    Free Member

As it happens, I studied parapsychology in the final year of my degree, so 10 years ago now. It is a real (branch of a) science, and the researchers are a fairly even mix of agnostics, sceptics and wahoos, they generally declare their views as measured by a standard scale. There are plenty of research papers, with very well designed experiments and I don’t recall any that supported the existence of ghosts. What there were, were hundreds of mundane explanations for the sort of anecdotes that some people think are ‘proof’.

If I could be hooped I’d have a scan through the recent literature to educate chewy, but I should really be scanning the literature for my masters dissertation instead.

teadrinker
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    teadrinker – Member

That bike is ugly …

and your point?

chewkw
    Free Member

teadrinker – Member

chewkw – Member
    teadrinker – Member

That bike is ugly …

and your point? [/quote]

It is ugly.

What is yours?

😯

unknown – Member

If I could be hooped I’d have a scan through the recent literature to educate chewy, but I should really be scanning the literature for my masters dissertation instead.

Link to the published literature/research papers? I search the interweb but could not find proper research papers … would be an interesting read though.
    😀

teadrinker
    Free Member

I like it. Alot.

chewkw
    Free Member

teadrinker – Member

I like it. Alot.

I don’t like it because of the bent tubes.

For whatever reasons the bent tubes just put me off.

😯

unknown
    Free Member

Journal of parapsychology.
    European journal of parapsychology.

Or try ‘an introduction to parapsychology’ by Irwin.

Squidlord
    Free Member

chewkw
    Free Member

unknown – Member

As it happens, I studied parapsychology in the final year of my degree, so 10 years ago now. It is a real (branch of a) science, and the researchers are a fairly even mix of agnostics, sceptics and wahoos, they generally declare their views as measured by a standard scale. There are plenty of research papers, with very well designed experiments and I don’t recall any that supported the existence of ghosts. What there were, were hundreds of mundane explanations for the sort of anecdotes that some people think are ‘proof’.

Interesting. So they are not in agreement I guess. 😆

😆 Yes, please recent literatures.

edit:

unknown – Member

Journal of parapsychology.
    European journal of parapsychology.

Or try ‘an introduction to parapsychology’ by Irwin.

Are they free to download?

Squidlord – Member

😆

unknown
    Free Member

I expect you’d need a subscription, but you could try sticking parapsychology into google scholar and seeing what it gives you.

chewkw
    Free Member

Found the fellow Irwin.

Some of the stuff he published

A quick glace suggest that he has approached the subject from Psychological point of views which subsequently, IMO, framed the research in certain ways. i.e. in our brain and our brains are the starting point etc.

While others who approached the subject from “scientific” point of views may naturally framed their research from their scientific understanding.

The problem with both is that they both perceived phenomena from their own perspectives.

IMO both are insufficient and there need to a new approach to human understanding.

😀

edit: Were you critical in your approach to the subject when you were studying them or were you “put in your place” i.e. being told to investigate from a particular views?

ojom
    Free Member

So millions of adults do the same thing daily to what they term as ‘god’, and they should know better.

A 2 year old at least has the benefit of not knowing better.

Your daughter is not the problem here. Perception is.

Lifer
    Free Member

Incredible.

unknown
    Free Member

My dissertation wasn’t on ghosts, it was on remote attention focussing, a sort of low level ESP. We found a weak trend towards supporting it’s existence but nowhere near statistical significance.

Anyway, you asked for published research and there it is. I think if you took the time to read the literature it would be pretty clear that you haven’t eliminated all the possible explanations apart from ghosts as you suggested. My own view is that it’s entirely possible that ghosts or some type of afterlife exists, but I’ve yet to have seen a single piece of evidence to suggest that they do, so I think it’s exceptionally unlikely.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Had a spare room downstairs in a house which I turned into a home cycle workshop.

It was always freezing in there with the heating turned up or in the summer. Tools would disappear but assume that was me or housemates.

Felt a bit uncomfortable but nothing more but felt I was being watched.

Sold the house and as I was putting away things into a removal van, old lady who walks her dog everyday while I lived there starts a conversation with me about the house.

She tells me how she used to visit the previous owner who died of cancer and used to stay bedridden in that room… 😯

chewkw
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

Incredible.

Indeed. 😆

unknown – Member

My dissertation wasn’t on ghosts, it was on remote attention focussing, a sort of low level ESP. We found a weak trend towards supporting it’s existence but nowhere near statistical significance.

Interesting. However, if your apply your ESP perspective in the investigation then you have framed it as an internal phenomena from psychological perspective.

Anyway, you asked for published research and there it is. I think if you took the time to read the literature it would be pretty clear that you haven’t eliminated all the possible explanations apart from ghosts as you suggested.

There you go not all possibilities are eliminated which is one of my point. However, I am not here to tell others if there is such phenomena or not as I rather let them interpret their experiences themselves. I only say what I feel is the possibilities. It would be Very boring if everyone agrees with me …

My own view is that it’s entirely possible that ghosts or some type of afterlife exists, but I’ve yet to have seen a single piece of evidence to suggest that they do, so I think it’s exceptionally unlikely.

It is highly unlikely that you will have evidence for now due to the following hindrance:

1. The framing of the subject. We are handicapped by our perspectives from the start of the research.

2. The instrument of measure. The tools we have are not that advance yet to measure phenomena.

3. No big money involved. i.e. so what if there are ghosts etc as it does not make economical sense other than some understanding.

😛

IanMunro
    Free Member

She tells me how she used to visit the previous owner who died of cancer and used to stay bedridden in that room…

Did she mention if the person had a tendency to knick tools ?

chewkw
    Free Member

Frankenstein – Member

It was always freezing in there with the heating turned up or in the summer. Tools would disappear but assume that was me or housemates.

Felt a bit uncomfortable but nothing more but felt I was being watched.

Based on my experience or “observation” the cold is very different from cold you encounter as in cold weather. Let me explain.

1. Cold weather – normally the expose part of your body will feel the cold first and gradually your entire body feel the cold. i.e. the cold would start from your feet or hand or face etc then your body.

2. Cold from phenomena – this kind of cold usually start from the centre of your body gradually moved towards the back of your neck. By the time that chill reach the back of your neck you get the goosebumps feeling or the chill. This kind of cold does not require your body to be exposed to cold.

She tells me how she used to visit the previous owner who died of cancer and used to stay bedridden in that room…

This is something I need to find out as to why certain “people” do not move on …

😀

Lifer
    Free Member

What’s that Sam?

chewkw
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

What’s that Sam?

😯

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What’s that Sam?

Aww hell naw. Don’t bring me into it, I only work for that jerk ‘cos he pays me.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I agree that if you eliminate all the possibilities then whatever is left must be the truth, that’s fine.

The issue is how you identify what is a possibility, and how you eliminate a possibility that you’ve identified.

“Ghosts” are said to be a possibility.

There is no known mechanism by which there can be ghosts, and the evidence for their existence is purely anecdotal and (as the only person contributing to this thread who has read any serious attempts to substantiate them using usual methods of scientific inquiry states, rubbish).If you aren’t going to eliminate a possibility on the basis that it has (a) no known way of being possible and (b) no evidence that it exists then you have to entertain literally any explanation you can think of that hasn’t been definitively shown to be impossible as well, including:

– side-effects of homeopathy;
    – Karmic retribution for the martyrdom of Ched Evans; and
    – Roko’s basilisk messing with you because you haven’t been devoting enough time to bringing Roko’s Basilisk into existence lately.

And all of those should have a much lower a priori probability than (say) aliens, the existence of which is supported by anecdotal evidence and whose existence has both a clear possibility according to known scientific principles and (depending on the value you attach fl and fi in the Drake Equation) a material probability of actually existing (although all the anecdotes are in fact nonsense)….

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member
    The issue is how you identify what is a possibility, and how you eliminate a possibility that you’ve identified.

That is the dilemma i.e. the method of enquiry. Without understanding the method of investigation (a better technique) there is no end to open assumption regardless of whether there is or there is not. Hence, it is opened to individual interpretation.

There is no known mechanism by which there can be ghosts, and the evidence for their existence is purely anecdotal and (as the only person contributing to this thread who has read any serious attempts to substantiate them using usual methods of scientific inquiry states, rubbish)

IMO, like I said previously perhaps the methodology is insufficient or the instrument for the research may not be advanced enough to conduct such investigation. Personal experiences can be or cannot be the truth but it is unique to that event. Replicable? I don’t know.

If you aren’t going to eliminate a possibility on the basis that it has (a) no known way of being possible and (b) no evidence that it exists then you have to entertain literally any explanation you can think of that hasn’t been definitively shown to be impossible as well, including:

You have just increased the impossibility by making such assumptions (if I read you correctly?).
    a) by framing the improbability from the start of your question.
    b) which lead to the support/assumption that evidence was not possible.
    The two are interlinked as former or latter needs to start first by giving the probability which as you argued is impossible. The question is where to start? A bit like chicken and egg …

– side-effects of homeopathy;
    – Karmic retribution for the martyrdom of Ched Evans; and
    – Roko’s basilisk messing with you because you haven’t been devoting enough time to bringing Roko’s Basilisk into existence lately.

Homeopathy – never experienced and will never try it so beyond me. No comment from me I am afraid so if you say it’s shite or good then so be it.

Karmic retribution – it is far easier to understand the big bang then karmic retribution. This is one that is beyond comprehension. However, you can reason it but whether the logic stands is another story …

I don’t believe in Roko’s Basilisk singular ultimate superintelligence or the AI whatever. Yes, you might have mighty robot but that’s that. Anyone or anything that professes to be the singular then couple with the word ultimate is illogical.

And all of those should have a much lower a priori probability than (say) aliens, the existence of which is supported by anecdotal evidence and whose existence has both a clear possibility according to known scientific principles and (depending on the value you attach fl and fi in the Drake Equation) a material probability of actually existing (although all the anecdotes are in fact nonsense)….

Therefore, until you eliminate the impossible it will always remain as unknown or anecdotal.

The problem is the techniques apply to eliminate the impossibility which in themselves are not perfect hence the constant search or shall I say research … that never ends.

😛

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘So my daughter is freaking me out a bit, any advice please.’ is closed to new replies.