Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 566 total)
  • So my bro got caught speeding
  • edward2000
    Free Member

97mph on the M1 junction 40 northbound on 28th December. Silly boy

wrightyson
    Free Member

First question would be how much does he earn? It’s going to be very spendy hurty no matter what!

bearnecessities

Real men get caught doing triple digits.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Has he got any points already?

scotroutes

7-56 days disqualified or 6 points. Plus 150% of weekly income.

footflaps

Plus 150% of weekly income.

How do they determine that, net, gross, with pension contributions etc?

We don’t get pay slips any more, all online in some HR app….

edward2000
    Free Member

I dont believe he has any points

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Most likely 6 points and fine dependent on current outgoings/commitments

taxi25
    Free Member

Most likely 6 points and fine dependent on current outgoings/commitments

Yes it will be this. It’s 150% of disposable weekly income capped at £2,500. But I suppose if you earn enough to pay the maximum you can afford it more than someone on minimum wage paying £100. Just don’t speed, it’s not big or clever. I found that out the hard way 🙁

Rockhopper
    Free Member

And good luck getting insurance if he does get disqualified.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s 150% of disposable weekly income

150% of Zero is Zero.

Awesome.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yep. Disposable income is a pretty meaningless measure.

Ewan
    Free Member

It’s weekly income after tax and ni. I did read somewhere that if the defendant doesn’t say what their income is then it’s worked out on the median wage which is 440 per week apparently.

Seems like a bit of a loop hole – duno if there is any way the court can force the defendant to tell them.

TheBrick
    Free Member

So if you spank loads of money on a expensive car each month you have a smaller fine?

stumpy01

I don’t remember reading that it had anything to do with ‘disposable’ income.

I think it’s just a percentage of your weekly income; although not sure if that is gross/net etc.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s not disposable income, but the court does take into account assets and liabilities.

Guidance here

Here’s the MC100
    form that the OP’s brother will need to complete.

I was recently stopped and was 1mph inside a band B offence (4-6 points & up to 125% fine). Am content with a conditional offer of 3 points & £100 fine.

taxi25
    Free Member

It’s not disposable income, but the court does take into account assets and liabilities.

True I’d got disposable bit wrong.
    Handy fine calculator here.
    https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/speeding-fine-calculator

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I know a chap who got caught speeding twice in one journey. One ticket was in one county and the other was from the one he crossed into a few minutes later. He argued in court that going by the time and distance between the speed traps that he could not have dropped below the national speed limit between them. Therefore it could only be proved he had broken the limit once and so he was only liable for one of the tickets, it worked.

martinhutch

He argued in court that going by the time and distance between the speed traps that he could not have dropped below the national speed limit between them.

That’s some curious logic at work there. Surely there’s another inescapable conclusion given that argument?

EDIT: Ah, I see now. I’d have been tempted to withdraw the charge at that point and see if the CPS fancied a stab at Dangerous Driving given the admitted sustained excessive speed over a considerable distance…

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Therefore it could only be proved he had broken the limit once and so he was only liable for one of the tickets, it worked.

Far from the only one, it is a common (and legitimate) argument. Usually only worthwhile deploying if you are facing a totting-up ban. For someone with a clean licence, two FPNs will probably be cheaper than a court appearance.

footflaps

Suggests it’s capped at £1k…

rene59
    Free Member

I got caught doing 112mph a bit further north on the A1(M) on my way back home to Glasgow a few years ago. I pleaded guilty on the paperwork but I had to go back down for court to be sentenced and before that had a chance to write up excuse/reason/mitigating circumstances etc as well as I had to provide a statement of my financial situation. Was told that a disqualification (most likely) or points and a fine would be the outcome so not to take my car as the ban would start immediately. I had a chance to speak to the magistrates and I asked outright for the points and a fine to which they agreed to no bother. I didn’t make any excuses, just said that I should have known better and that was that. They took into consideration the statement from the traffic police (I never said anything to them except to confirm my details), my annual mileage (at that point about 60k pa) the fact I never made any excuses for speeding and that driving around the UK was part of my job. Cost me a fair bit in fines, victim surcharge and travel/accomodation and I got 6 points added to the 3 I already had. Insurance premium went up but not by as much as I would have expected tbh. I think your bro will be ok unless he was being a knob to anyone during the process.

matt_outandabout

I got caught doing 112mph

😯

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cost me a fair bit in fines, victim surcharge and travel/accomodation

Eh? Who’s the ‘victim’ of speeding on the motorway?

TheBrick
    Free Member

112 is fast but the context makes a big difference.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, so rattling along nearly 30mph above the limit takes you right up the backside of considerate drivers like me..
    Thanks.
    And 112mph, you deserve a 10yr ban. You should know better.

I’ve zero tolerance for speeding motorists.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yeah, so rattling along nearly 30mph above the limit takes you right up the backside of considerate drivers like me..

So you sit in the fast lane doing 70mph? You could like, move over… 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, 60 in the slow lane occasionally pulling out to overtake trucks.

You think I’m joking don’t you..

Rong.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

EDIT: Ah, I see now. I’d have been tempted to withdraw the charge at that point and see if the CPS fancied a stab at Dangerous Driving given the admitted sustained excessive speed over a considerable distance…

Yes I think he probably would have deserved that. I’m not condoning his wriggling out of it I just thought it was an interesting tactic.

Far from the only one, it is a common (and legitimate) argument. Usually only worthwhile deploying if you are facing a totting-up ban. For someone with a clean licence, two FPNs will probably be cheaper than a court appearance.

I’m pretty sure he was facing a ban from the two charges together.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Just did 100 mph on motorway.

It was a dumb thing to do now looking at your bro or the possible consequences or injury/death to others.

Thing is my car can do 155mph and 0-60 in 5.9 secs.

Should have bought a leaf.

Not speeding again.

rene59
    Free Member

Eh? Who’s the ‘victim’ of speeding on the motorway?

I don’t know, think it’s just something that gets added onto all fines to go into the pot.

112 is fast but the context makes a big difference.

Empty 3 lane motorway, good conditions. Even the traffic police said I was driving safely just at excessive speed. It’s not really that fast on a long, clear, straight bit of motorway.

Thanks.

I wasn’t up the back of anyone but you’re welcome all the same.

And 112mph, you deserve a 10yr ban. You should know better.

I’ve zero tolerance for speeding motorists. Ok cool. Maybe you should start a campaign or something.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Real men get caught doing triple digits.

Nah. Real men dont get caught doing triple digits.
    Cars need too much space to go fast, so it happens in obvious places. Bikes don’t. So it doesn’t.

Poopscoop

Frankenstein – Member
    Just did 100 mph on motorway.

It was a dumb thing to do now looking at your bro or the possible consequences or injury/death to others.

Thing is my car can do 155mph and 0-60 in 5.9 secs.

Should have bought a leaf.

Not speeding again.

BMW? 😀

thegeneralist
    Free Member

doing 112mph a bit further north on the A1(M) on my way back home ….., my annual mileage (at that point about 60k pa)

What a **** up legal system we have…

Judge: You’re accused of breaking the speed limit and endangering life. Do you have anything to say?
    Accused: Yes I do it shit loads throughout the year.
    Judge: Ah ok, then we’ll not give you a big sentence then.

eh..

maxtorque

I once was stopped for doing 83mph on a Mway (it was just before 10pm on a sunday evening). The policeman, who’d clearly had a bad day was pretty rude, and accused me of “nearly killing everyone on the motorway at the time” To which i answered. “There was one person on the Motorway, and that was me” (the police car was sat in one of those “up and over” mounds you see occasionally at the side of the mWay, but wasn’t a marked car so i hadn’t seen any Batternburg glint etc)

The guy eventually let me off, after i’d calmly apologized and said i was sorry. He then said ” I really hope you don’t normally drive at that speed” to which i quite truthfully answered “no, of course not officer”. It was completely truthfull, because just prior to that i’d been doing an indicated 175………

jambourgie
    Free Member

The guy eventually let me off, after i’d calmly apologized and said i was sorry. He then said ” I really hope you don’t normally drive at that speed” to which i quite truthfully answered “no, of course not officer”. It was completely truthfull, because just prior to that i’d been doing an indicated 175………

*In before the hand-wringers*

That is very funny, and fully awesome 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I wonder what decisions you make when you decide to speed?

Is it because you feel entitled or are you just plain selfish? Maybe because you do “colossal” mileage’s means you are a better driver than you actually are?

Maybe a clear road in front of you equates to “sod the speed limits, I’m awesome”

I’d offer the courts ought to take that sense of smug entitlement away from you and once the sentence served that you take a driving test once a year for the rest of your life..

Happy to offer my opinion, you are welcome.

funkmasterp

I’m with bikebouy on this one. It’s no wonder people speed like they do. The consequences might as well be nonexistent.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Respect your opinions chaps, but if it’s an empty road, what’s the problem? No one to hurt but yourself.

‘If a tree falls in the woods’ etc…

funkmasterp

The problem is that not everyone can follow the empty road logic. There are a lot of seriously daft people out there. Simple blanket rules help keep things simple. Want to go fast go to the track

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 566 total)

The topic ‘So my bro got caught speeding’ is closed to new replies.