Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • So, living in the Canary Islands, the Costas or the Balearics…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

… what would your choice be?

Either of the two Palmas looks attractive but I’ve never been there…

Looking to arrange a life where the biggest problem I’ll have after getting up in the morning is where to have breakfast.

Potdog
    Free Member

Can’t say anything of the Costas or Balearics, but life here in the Canaries can be pretty good. Don’t for one moment think though that it will be free of frustrations and annoyances though as it isn’t. They are just different ones and everything is easier to deal with when it is sunny 😆

Any specifics you want to ask, fire away!

Mackem

Costas. Cheap flights. Good riding. Easy access to inland Spain and it’s lesser known but great places.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the answer is: ‘Not The Canaries’.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you, potdog? Tenerife?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Been there, done it.
    Would do it again once the kids are older though for the reasons you want.
    But remember it isn’t plain sailing.
    A very good friend of mine calls Tenerife “El culo del mundo” – sometimes he’s right.
    However – I have lifelong friends there and wouldn’t hesitate to go back tomorrow.
    Ignore awhiles.
    If you’ve an income stream, money to buy outright and are happy to just potter then it’s a nice life.
    If you need to work/rent/save then it can be a mare.
    Remember you’ll never, ever get more than a 70% mortgage, will need another 10% over the purchase price for impuestos, etc.
    Plus side is bills are cheap, weather is good even when its raining, everything dries very quickly, etc.
    Just need to decide where you want to stop.
    IIRC Potdog is just below Aldea Blanca? Not a bad place to be.

mogrim

Whichever you choose, avoid the big British ex-pat colonies, unless you’re a particular fan of bitter pensioners complaining about everything.

I’d probably go for the Costa Brava – close to Barcelona, lovely little beaches, great diving off the Islas Medes, not quite as hot in summer, the Pyrenees relatively close. Although I’m quite happy in Madrid, no massive urge to move.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ll have a Bonbon Mogrim 😆

Potdog
    Free Member

Yes Mr W. I’m in Tenerife.
    A lot depends on what you want from the place. If you want Blackpool with sun then its here, but equally if you want seclusion and stunning scenery then its also here in abundance and not too far away from the coast if you need a fix. Been here 10 years this August and discovering more about the island all the time.

Potdog
    Free Member

I’ve moved a bit further up the hill now Hammyuk, now in San Miguel.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My future MiL lives in Tenerife and has done for 20yrs+ It is quite a place with different areas and climates, it’s a real consideration for us at some point in the future. But I still think I’d rather be in the Barcelona area on the mainland and close to the Pyrenees, like mogrim says.

hammyuk
    Free Member

San Miguel is nice.
    If you don’t know it – take the back road out from there up through Cruz de Teá and make sure you have the ribs or carne de cabra 😉
    Eres de las Mozas behind the church in Valle is simply the best for solomillo though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If you’ve an income stream, money to buy outright and are happy to just potter then it’s a nice life.

Yep. That’s the one.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The bitter pensioner comment is interesting. Palma Majorca has a Brit expat community of 60,000+. I suspect these are those bitter old gits I should avoid.

Tenerife is starting to take the lead…

Early days, though. Research research research.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Feel free to ask Woppit -)

samunkim
    Free Member

Considered Portugal ?

Cheap flights, Weather etc.

Most things still cheap – away from Algarve obvs..

Potdog
    Free Member

Brits will be Brits where ever you go I think. Not happy unless complaining about something. Especially the bitter pensioners and Saga louts !

Potdog
    Free Member

Brits will be Brits where ever you go I think. Not happy unless complaining about something. Especially the bitter pensioners and Saga louts !

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Just remember which side of the road to drive on.

Xylene
    Free Member

Greece might be cost effective soon

mefty
    Free Member

Pensions are tax free in Portugal if I recall correctly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We have some friends who retired moved to Majorca for the climate/health reaons. Not so cheap to buy but they really liked it especially the heavy German influence, something to bear in mind if you don’t like rules and regulations. If its Spain you are interested in then look around on the mainland there are many fabulous options. I am a fan of Galicia, dramatic coast, mountains, great wines, hardly any Brits 🙂

Also have a look at Basque MTB – perhaps go on a holiday with them and ask a few questons ?

julians
    Free Member

I’ve got an apartment in mallorca, but I dont live there.

I think it depends what you want . If you want year round decent weather then your only option is the canaries/tenerife. Majorca in winter, whilst loads better than the uk can still be pretty cold and wet.

Other factors to consider , Flights – in summer most places will have frequent cheasp flights to most uk airports, but you msy find that in winter you can only get flights to heathrow/gatwick, this may or may not be a problem.

I like majorca – the weather is almost guaranteed to be nice from april to november. the boating is good, the riding is good. Downsides – it can be expensive , I Wouldnt want to try and make a living in mallorca, certain locations can be very quiet/dead outside of april to november.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m just in the process of trying to buy in Tarifa. Mountains, windsurfing, kitesurfing and Africa a fast 50min ferry away. And the latest nightlife around.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Tarifa is hellishly expensive though because of the windsurfing/kitesurfing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘So, living in the Canary Islands, the Costas or the Balearics…’ is closed to new replies.