• This topic has 38 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • So Kona dropping UK distributor (Paligap)
  • wwaswas

and going direct from Euro HQ.

what does it mean for dealers and customers?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Paligap were not all that hot by all accounts. Maybe servcie will get better now?

bent_udder
    Free Member

Probably little change for Halfords, I guess.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t they also used to to Formula Brakes and Wingnut Packs? Doesn’t leave them a lot does it.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Damn! I was hoping to blag a mega discount on a couple of major jake frames for next season. Maybe I’ll have to brush up on my euro now

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Their cross frames do look very nice this season!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

yeah, really well thought out too. Maybe they’ll be trying to get rid of them…..

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Somewhat wishful thinking that, especially after Ryan Trebon’s success on them in the US

hora
    Free Member

This could be interested. After all the EU should have no borders etc.

Set up a super-distributor in say France to service accounts in Europe.

Love to see how they get on.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

yup, and helen wyman’s results bringing good euro exposure

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

It’ll mean the same sort of levels of service that used to mire me down when dealing with Cannondale and currently lead to hair-extraction when trying to sort broken/creaky/just-plain-rubbish Bianchis, to wit: making sure the forms are filled out in triplicate and having to explain to customers that it’s taking ages because “it has to come from Europe”.

There’s no reason for stuff to take more than a day longer to come from the continent, but the bigger the distribution centre, the longer stuff seems to take to happen.

Paligap aren’t that bad compared to some, and I always thought the Hawaiian connection was ‘nice’.

wwaswas

well, their current European headquarters is Swiss so non-EU…

juan
    Free Member

wwaswas wrong HQ are still in Monaco. It’s very complex. Paperwork/HQ is in Monaco. All the communication press and all it’s done in Switzerland. They have an outlet in France for test bikes and sales. However things are going very bad at the kona HQ.

wwaswas

things are going very bad at the kona HQ

well that’s another positive 🙁

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i guess this is why they’re selling stuff off on ebay!

shaggy

Formula and Wingnut was Propel. That’s a sad story, but unrelated.

clubber
    Free Member

Who did Kona before paligap?

Onzadog
    Free Member

shaggy, so it was. Do I get a prize for being close though?

ziggy
    Free Member

There’s more to this than just ‘being dropped’.

The HQ isn’t in Monaco, but the owner may well live there, who claims not to own Paligap 😉

We deal with two companies from Europe, one is great, the other are Italians, the work to their own rules 😕

ziggy
    Free Member

Who did Kona before paligap?

Second Level Imports, that was some time ago!

hora
    Free Member

was Propel

What happened??

racefaceec90

i for one am hoping that kona keep on going (as i want to buy a honky tonk road bike).unfortunately won’t be able to get it until next year.i think the bike looks fab,plus it’s steel (which i wanted).it would be a shame if they disappeared. 🙂

kimbers

However things are going very bad at the kona HQ.

how so?

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Second Level Imports Sport

[pedant]
    FTFY
    [/pedant] 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Ah yes SLS, it was Paligap then that I had the crap experience with though admittedly about 10 years ago now.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I shall no longer see the Paligap / Kona van trundle past my office then.

kimbers

i really hope they dont go under i love my konas and theyre back on form with their new DH bike

and what looks like a shorter travel version for 2012

pjt201
    Free Member

explains why it’s the Ritchey Bristol Bikefest this year then!

scruff
    Free Member

Kona have done a frame with 2 shocks. This is very silly.

kimbers

Kona have done a frame with 2 shocks. This is very silly.

although karim amour is cleaning up enduro titles on his magic bike

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Second-Level were great.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Second Level Sport were just fine. Paligap have been good too. I imagine existing Kona dealers will be offered accounts with Kona Europe (or whatever it’ll be called) and continue with business as usual. I’d just echo someone else’s concerns on lead times and supply, from experience of Cannondale before CSG took over.
    If ever there was an awful company to do business with, it was Cannondale Euro.

kimbers

2nd level used to offer a good crash replacement scheme:30% price of a snapped frame off a new one

juan
    Free Member

Billing and accountancy is done in Monaco by myriam and IIRC the “raison social” is still is at Monaco. Communication and retail in switzerland. The think is jimbo owns a company who is hiring the building to konaeurope (own by jimbo too).

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Damn it! I really wanted the 2011 kona honky inc and its now reduced already at Wiggle. Pity i’ve bought something else now!

juan
    Free Member

Nick I think there is some communication issues (at least in France). Five or six year ago, LBS was shifting dawg supremes and stinkes at a scary rate (about at least 4 a week). Now they struggle to sell a tanuki.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Worringly I can see Marin going down the same route.Both brands have suffered longheld mis-conceptions in the uk (marin=dull+sandals,kona=heavy+poor spec) and its the uk importers that get it in the neck.Paligap were always very supportive and pro-active with the brand both at shop level and nationally with events and sponsorship.The last two seasons bikes have been really good but were overlooked in favour of the ‘new’ (lapierre,ghost,canyon,rose etc) brands.I guess its much easier to build a new image from a clean sheet than it is to overturn old prejudices.New buyers attention spans seem to be 2-3 years before the shineyness wears off a brand and they start looking for the next flavour of the month-see commencal and very probably shortly to be lapierre…..if not orange.If you’re not one of the major players and can weather the lull till your time comes round again (even specialized went through a tough patch for a bit)its tough titty.
    Business is business.

wwaswas

It is a shame that it looks like the LBS will be the ones to suffer (along with Paligap).

I did wonder how Merlin had got hold of a big batch of Kona bikes they could sell off cheap a month or two back – maybe it was a prelude to what we’re seeing now.

I can see Kona struggling to get LBS buy in to new distribution channels after this – it may be they end up being a ‘chain’ only brand (maybe via Evans)?

juan
    Free Member

although karim amour is cleaning up enduro titles on his magic bike

Nope he’s not… It’s an amazing bike (I know it I rode one several times) but Karim isn’t up to the job…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘So Kona dropping UK distributor (Paligap)’ is closed to new replies.