Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • So.. Kids & Youbtube accounts…
  • PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Hope this doesn’t sound too netmums (there’ll be no mention of bedside glasses for post coital dunking or moistening of plastic chairs) my gf’s 7 year old tonight asked if they could have a youtube account to upload videos.

Apparently someone else in his class does, & he’s seen all the bloggers & has started making his own videos. We’ve read a bit online about people who have let their kids under 13 & can lock down the privacy settings etc.. Finding it really tricky to make a decision as there are strong arguments for & against…

Just wondering of anyone here has done similar or just any advice…

andy4d

I told both mine…NO..they have access to viewing YouTube under my sign in(so I can see their history) but no uploading allowed. Restricted mode turned on. Aged 8 and 10 by the way.

aracer
    Free Member

No, not yet as they’ve not asked. But if and when they do (9 and 7) I’ll let them have one, but keep a very close eye on what they’re doing with it. I can’t see the problem if you’re doing that.

Have you ever been to Centre Parcs BTW?

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Have you ever been to Centre Parcs BTW?

We’ve not finalised the holiday plans as yet…

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

A little bump for the daytime workshy crowd

P-Jay
    Free Member

Went through it a few years ago with Jnr, at first I let him use my account for over-sight but I got fed up with being bombarded with notifications for Twatty LongTwat et al so gave in and gave him his own. He can’t access restricted content, but after a long session he comes away with a mid-Atlantic accent and some interesting ideas about what’s polite and what isn’t.

It’s a funny old thing YouTube, you can find endless videos of people being killed, accidents, even murders, too much nipple though and they’ll pull it faster than you can say “Yanks are funny people”.

DezB
    Free Member

…has started making his own videos

If you are bothered about 3 classmates watching 10 secs of his vids and clicking “like” don’t let him 😉

the-muffin-man

My daughter started with an account at 11 (uploading Minecraft Videos). The very first comment she received was “You’re shit”.

Taught her a valuable lesson in internet a-holes! 😀

She’s nearly 14 now and the novelty has well and truly worn off.

poah
    Free Member

both my kids 7 and 11 watch youtube (and have done for a couple of years) and have youtube accounts. They watch videos of people playing video games. Lewis uploads vids that are well shit but its something he likes so happy for him to use it. Never had any issue with them watching it. what exactly have you got to be worried about?

footflaps

My nephews create loads of lego based videos, they don’t have their own Youtube accounts though.

This was from last WE

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEBhUUQIclg[/video]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘So.. Kids & Youbtube accounts…’ is closed to new replies.