Viewing 31 posts - 241 through 271 (of 271 total)
  • So, just sent my watch off for a service…
  • ransos
    Free Member

That’s pretty classy and understated actually

Yep, much nicer than the “look at me” blingfest that is most modern expensive watches.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s awesome. How to pull it off though…?

Pink lacoste polo shirt, dark blue jeans and white loafers with no socks.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Good style tips, but, how do you unbutton a polo shirt far enough to show off your (graying in my case) hairy chest and collection of medallions and gold chains though randomjeremy? 😉

CountZero

Nico – Member
    Don’t you people have phones?

The wristwatch became popular in the late 19th/early 20th century as it is much quicker and more convenient than having to fish your time keeping device out of your pocket when you need it.

Exactly.

It’s sweatier and less comfortable though. And more expensive (since the phone is already paid for and present for other reasons).

I don’t wear my watch for those reasons.
    Don’t know about sweater and less comfortable, I’ve never been daft enough to try wearing my phone on my wrist.
    Cost? Many people already own watches before going and getting the phone, so your argument is spurious and irrelevant.
    For security reasons, where I usually work I’m not allowed to have a mobile phone switched on, and most of the time my computer is off, and I have no clock in the room. I still need to know the time.
    Anyway, if I’m out and about especially in this weather, spending two or three seconds glancing at a watch is SO much easier than dragging my phone out of my pocket, fiddling with it until its facing the right way round, and right way up, then waking it up, just to find out the info that my watch gave me in a fraction of the time is, quite frankly, bloody daft.
    Anyone who thinks going through that palaver with a £600 phone/computer when a £14 watch does it better and quicker needs to examine their priorities. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t know about sweater and less comfortable, I’ve never been daft enough to try wearing my phone on my wrist.

Carrying a phone in my pocket is more comfortable and less sweaty than wearing a watch on my wrist. Of course you knew what I meant though.

Anyone who thinks going through that palaver with a £600 phone/computer when a £14 watch does it better and quicker needs to examine their priorities.

It’s not really a palaver, and as I’m sure you understand I carry a £600 phone anyway for other reasons. It also tells the time. The second or two of extra time it takes to check the time on it is worth the comfortable sweat-free wrist, to me, easily.

If I put myself through discomfort to save a few seconds a day, THEN I’d need my prioritites examined 🙂

billyboulders
    Free Member

£600!!!!
    Who would spend that on a phone! Surely you can get a functional one at a fraction of the cost trollgrips 😉

(though it wouldn’t be as bling I admit) 😉

tinybits
    Free Member

I know what you’re saying, but what you’re about to get is an engineers reasoning on the validity of choosing an over priced phone for fashion whores (I’d know, I’m typing this on an iPhone 5), against any other possible purchase. There will probably be spreadsheets involved…!

boblo
    Free Member

Oh please don’t. I can’t stand the prospect of listening to Moly convincing us about him buying an iPhone over the perfectly acceptable and (gasp) cheaper alternatives. It’ll be even duller than bling vs plastic 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t spend £600 on a phone.

And I certainly didn’t spend any money at all on a phone purely to tell the time, that would be ridiclous. I bought a device that makes calls, surfs the net and all that – it tells me the time for free 🙂

nicko74

The people who make these £4k watches are only making stuff this way because they know that some folk will pay tons of money for them. That’s it.

Nah, they make them because they CAN. They make lots of them because they can sell them. When you look at the engineering that goes into making the leap year models, too, that’s frickin awesome – this thing can keep pretty accurate time, and tell you the date even allowing for the nonsense irregular calendar we use, simply through cogs and a weight. It’s impressive.

boblo
    Free Member

But I bet it’s an iPhone. Busted 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t have an iPhone either, never had one.

It’s impressive

Impressive waste of money being almost but not quite as good as something costing £15 🙂 Lolz.

bearnecessities

[controlled rant] A watch isn’t a normal adornment though.

It’s not a static jewel or metal. It’s a an ever-changing reminder of how much of your day has passed, and how much is to come. It’s practically a living thing on your wrist.

Watches have an appeal since you were a kid probably; either a parent or relatives watch, with the lustre of gold and leather. You asked what the time was, because time (as we have defined it) dictated so much of your life, and continues to do so.

Into adulthood, we just grow older, possibly wiser, but the relevance of time remains the same, if not more so.

So when you have the chance, and if you are afforded the luxury, you buy a watch because it means something gutteral that you don’t understand, but for a mulitude of possible reasons, you want one. If you have a fiver or five thousand, it means something. It conveys something of relevance.

Watches are a reminder.

[/end controlled rant]

boblo
    Free Member

Bah! Pesky kids… 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

you buy a watch because it means something gutteral that you don’t molgrips doesn’t understand

I thought it was us electronic junkies that were into constant reminders of time and the pace of life….

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Nice controlled rant! Weirdly you might have just explained why I love watches, always have. Don’t own many and I’ve lost the first real one I bought at 14 which I’m gutted about.

Who wouldn’t love to own something like this? I think it’s pretty awesome and remember with fondness the first time I showed the kids, they love tipping it from side to side and watching the movement and seem even more amazed it doesn’t take batteries.

Untitled by monkeyfcuker, on Flickr

We’re surrounded by electrical items all day every day, they’re a bit cold really aren’t they.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Typed and taken by my iPhone….

**** haha!

molgrips
    Free Member

Who wouldn’t love to own something like this?

Me!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Silly head.

jp-t853

molgrips – Member

I have decided to give this to my daughter when she is 18 and who knows she may give to her child. There are not many things in life that you can do that with

Knowledge, values, wisdom.. but yeah nothing important

I call those the basics and have little problem with handing them on.

I can imagine however that some people can spend so much time on forums arguing about things they have no interest in that they struggle with these basics.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Monkeyfudger, molgrips isn’t capable of appreciating what you see in that watch. He’s considered one of the most iconic pieces of engineering design (possibly designed by one of the greatest thinkers of all time), and finds it lacking because the same functionality is on his phone. This is a chap who’d look at the pyramids and think “not much in the way of window design”

aracer
    Free Member

He’s considered one of the most iconic pieces of engineering design (possibly designed by one of the greatest thinkers of all time),

Comparable with Einstein, or greater?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d just like to chip in that I have owned two Automatics for the very reason you describe. Sadly the white faced one I posted before was stolen…

I tried Casio, and then the 3 HK made fakes all of which were beautifully made, ran within a minute a week and cost £40 each!

Finally I bought another Tissot to replace the first, but after a couple of years I decided that it was frivolous of me to own such an expensive thing when I am a student and struggling for money. So I sold that too, at a 66% loss…

Now I have another Casio, not quite as nice as nice as the first. Again with a screen and hands, 100m waterproof, accurate as anything and has several useful functions including moon phase [for my cheap telescope] and tide – set to Falmouth where my mate’s moored. It even tells me the temperature [bloody hot] and graphs it!! And it’s also got clear hands for at-a-glance reading.

It’s been an interesting journey, but I’m sticking with my Casio. The cheap folded steel strap rattles – which the Tissot’s never did 🙁

I totally get the desire to own these extraordinary works of engineering art, but I just don’t think it’s for me. Can’t justify the investment.

Tell you what though, A Casio doesn’t make me punctual 😉

CountZero

It’s been an interesting journey, but I’m sticking with my Casio. The cheap folded steel strap rattles – which the Tissot’s never did

Put a Maratec NATO strap on it. It’s even possible to adapt a G-Shock G100/101 to take a NATO strap. It’ll be more comfortable, and quieter.
    Oh, and monkeyfudger, that’s a lovely piece of work! I was considering getting onto Yokobies, and seeing if he had a window back to fit a SPORK, but decided not to.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK 🙂

mogrim

Who wouldn’t love to own something like this?

Me! That’s fugly. Money > Sense fugly.

Kevevs
    Free Member

this thread is amazing. I love you STW

neilnevill
    Free Member

Casio doesn’t make me punctual. Lol!

I do find that wearing a mechanical I’ve developed a more ‘approximate’ appreciation of time. It’s more about time passing (as some one said above very well) and less about the current time. 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

Whats the opinion on this?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Crap. How the hell are you supposed to know when it’s lunchtime?

A?????????????w????????? ??????????????????????w???????????????????h???????????á?????????????????t??????????????????????? ??????????d?????????????????????o??????????????? ???????????????????I??????????????? ????????????????????k????????n????????????ó????????????w??????????????? ?????????????a?????????????????????y?????????????w?????????a?????????????????????y??????????????????????.?????????????????.????????????????????????????????

Tiger6791

Lazarus 😈

Viewing 31 posts - 241 through 271 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘So, just sent my watch off for a service…’ is closed to new replies.