Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 271 total)
  • So, just sent my watch off for a service…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

.. And it going to cost £580 and take 3 months!!!!

Am speechless…

cyclebiker

I would be too, but I am unable to post a reply with nothing in it…

camo16
    Free Member

I take it this is no 1980s Casio then?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    loddrik
    Free Member

I would have just sold it tbh but any sale price would end up being minus a service price so I’d still end up paying it anyhow. Very pissed off atm…

bearnecessities

That can’t be a service only? *inflection*

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Meanwhile, at the watch servicing place….

derek_starship
    Free Member

Are you sure you didn’t mistake your watch for your family car?

Go on – what is the watch?

loddrik
    Free Member

That can’t be a service only?

Includes a crown but that is included in the price of the device anyhow. After having recently had to spend £900 on a new turbo for the car and now this, the worst kind of things to have to spend money on.

The watch is an Ebel BTR GMT, it was a 30th present from the wife so obviously I couldn’t really sell it. I always kind of thought a service could cost around £250ish, never in my wildest dreams could I have thought £580.

I could have bought a used Sinn U1 for not much more, which I’d much rather have done.

DT78
    Free Member

I would have sold on eBay and bought something else….unless its got sentimental value of course

unklehomered
    Free Member

Stop pussyfooting about, what silly more-money-than-sense watch have you got? 😀

Unless the above is actually the case of course…

wl
    Free Member

I always thought half the point of posh watches at silly prices was their quality and reliability. They don’t really do anything extra or better than a normal cheapo watch, unless you count conferring status.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Madness in the extreme. Plenty of great looking watches about for less than £200. If I had a remotely nice one I would be too scared to wear it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Ebel BTR GMT, the problem is they have a proprietary movement which might win enthusiast brownie points but means that it cost big money to work on, unlike ETA based movements which can be worked on by any competent watch mechanic. Didn’t cross my mind when I bought it, and why would it. You live and learn I guess.

juanking

You should have used Genesis (http://genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/) fabulous service by a person at least as competent than by the watchmaker (if it’s an inhouse movement) themselves. Approved by TZUK and if your a member of TZUK you get a further 15% off.

binners

You could nearly get a set of forks for that!!!!!

camo16
    Free Member

Or more than 450 Sayers’ meat and tater pies!!!!!

scotroutes

I is confused.

If you need a watch to find out the time, a cheap digital one will do the job.

If you like the look of a nice watch as a piece of jewellery, then what does it matter whether or not it actually works?

loddrik
    Free Member

😆

Never thought of it like that, and I guess that’s context for you, forks can now cost nearly a grand, and are generally used for a few years, I guess the watch will last decades.

brakes
    Free Member

£580 over 3 months, that’s about £1.20 an hour, which seems pretty cheap.

peterfile
    Free Member

The hypocrisy is deafening isn’t it? 🙂

wl
    Free Member

What does the proprietary movement actually do? My £80 Nixon loses about 1 second per week and is now 10 years old. Are posh watches any more accurate than that, and what would be the point anyway? I’m genuinely curious.

loddrik
    Free Member

You should have used Genesis (http://genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/) fabulous service by a person at least as competent than by the watchmaker (if it’s an inhouse movement) themselves. Approved by TZUK and if your a member of TZUK you get a further 15% off.

I am on TZUK and tried Genesis, they said the same thing, due to the movement it would be hideously expensive and would be better to get Ebel to do it anyway.

bails

now this, the worst kind of things to have to spend money on

Really? Really?

You know you could just have bought a new watch, right? For less than a tenner, and it would have told the time just as well. Probably better.

But no, you’re right. A £600 watch service is literally the worst thing to have to spend money on.

*mutter* first world bloody problems *mutter* 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Most high end watch manufacturers are now heading down the proprietary movement route (Panerai Breitling etc) as I guess they can justify the ridiculous prices more than using modified ETA movements like they always used to.

julians
    Free Member

Did it really need a service? or just a new crown, which any competent watch maker could do?

I’ve got a couple of expensive’ish watches, but I’ve never had them serviced in 12 years, they still keep time as accurately as they did when new – which compared to a quartz watch like the nixon above is not very accurate at all.

expensive watches really are a totally irrational purchase, there is no justification for one, other than ‘ I just want it’

boxfish
    Free Member

There’s no need to lose face over this. It’s now out of your hands. It must be a wind up though. If you’re struggling to fund the service, you could always em-bezel the funds.

warton
    Free Member

Are you sure there’s no movement in that price? Of Quartz, if you’re strapped for cash you could always buckle and not pay

Del

jewellery, plain and simple. which is fine, if you’re like that. 😉
    on the other hand my forks typically cost 2-300 quid and i wear a g-shock, when i wear it. each to their own.

molgrips
    Free Member

uwe-r
    Free Member

My Bike cost £800 second hand. My watch cost £80 in a sale.

10:1 ratio. What’s yours?

Edit: i do not own an octopus!

MrSmith
    Free Member

My Bike cost £800 second hand. My watch cost £80 in a sale.

10:1 ratio. What’s yours?

£4500 / £80 you do the maths.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

£4500 / £80 you do the maths

christ, does that mean his bike cost £45,000?

derek_starship
    Free Member

£4500 / £80 you do the maths.

May the cock jousting begin 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mine was ten weeks and 350, but I claimed off the house insurance for accidental damage. Incidentally that included two crowns and new fingers/hands. Why they change them is beyond me?

MrSmith
    Free Member

christ, does that mean his bike cost £45,000?

it may have been £80. you get 2 for the price of 1 at Halfords.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got a lovely Oris watch which is in for service at the mo (8 yrs old) because it stopped working.
    It was a 40th birthday present. Keeps terrible time.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What’s involved in a watch service? they’re fully sealed units, waterproof, shockproof, so nothing to get in there to crap the mechanism up.

lucien

I’ve got a Rolex that hasn’t been serviced for 10+ years, doesn’t keep very good time and sits at home most of the time…the “estimate” for the OP has put me right off doing anything…..ho hum

Tiger6791

ha! ha!

You are SurfMat and are just trying to show off about an expensive watch in a clever, subtle and roundabout way…

and I claim my £5

righog
    Free Member

20 Quid from E bay, just fixed wife’s fancy watch with this kit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘So, just sent my watch off for a service…’ is closed to new replies.