Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • So just got my zesty 514 and have a problem…
  • downs523
    Free Member

Bought a second hand 2010 zesty 514 took it for a spin down the road and back and all seemed good. Today decided to adjust the air to the fork and rear shock. Front fork fine,rear shock is a fox float RP2 and as I unscrewed the air valve to attach my shock pump some oil started to seep out. Then there was a hissing noise. I connected the shock pump after wiping the oil away and it measured 90 psi. Took pump off and still the hissing noise so re connected the pump and the psi was now 40!! I am assuming air is leaking, is this normal?. Tightening the cap on the valve seems to hold the air inside but is rather annoying.

Any idea

faz083
    Free Member

the dust cap is the only thing holding air in?

This is not normal in the slightest.

Oil seepage = not normal.

downs523
    Free Member

Yeah soon as I remove the dust cap air hisses out and pressure drops. Keep the cap on and it holds it in. The oil only came out when I fisrst opened it and has gone now.

haggis1978

Might just be a bit of crap stuck in the shraeder valve. Ive had this happen before. When you say oil seeping out do you men just a seep or more than that? Ive had a shock completely deflate on me before as i was adjusting the pressure because there was a bit of crap in it. Id completely deflate it and start again. You cant ride it with 40psi in it anyway. Try getting the hoover into it with the wee brush bit.

downs523
    Free Member

Was just a seep, stopped after like 5 seconds. Does seem to have a bit of crap in the valve but would that cause air to leak out? I’ll give it a clean and deflate and see what happens

Thanks

takisawa2

Let all the air out. Get some tweezers & remove the valve core by unscrewing ant clockwise. Give it a good blow out, make sure its not got any grit etc, stuck in it; then pop the valve back in. If its still leaking try the valve core from a spare tube. A bit of oil coming out is normal.

mikey74
    Free Member

Dirt in the valve can cause it to get stuck open, hence the leaking of air.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 what takisawa2 says, I had similar happen on some air marzocchis. I replaced the core with one from a local diy shop which cost pennies (I dont use schraeder tubes so couldnt cannibalise one).

A little oil coming out of an air chamber is normal, and likely to have more come out if you have a knackered vavle letting fluid through.

downs523
    Free Member

Ok, was no visible dirt, what I saw must have been remains of oil, gave it a clean and pressurised it, took pump off and no leaks! I then put the pump back on and released some pressure and unscrewed the pump again and… It leaked. I tried this again and no leaks.

I will take apart the internal section that was mentioned above and see it that helps.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘So just got my zesty 514 and have a problem…’ is closed to new replies.