Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 212 total)
  • So Jesus said to his disciples as he was nailed to the cross..
  • OK,leave out the fascists then. They've had a lot of bad press and I'm sure they're not as black as they're painted.
    And maybe I was being a bit harsh on the others. Perhaps they could just be sent to their room with no dinner.

kimbers

graham you forgot estate agents

OK then, shoot estate agents.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you started quoting leviticus to defend your views you'd not get much credibility from anyone except far right lunatics.

Geronimo
    Free Member

If you started quoting leviticus to defend your views you'd not get much credibility from anyone except far right lunatics.

…but it is part of the BIBLE, non?

Who's leviticus ?
    I've not been on this forum long and I don't know everyone yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

but it is part of the BIBLE, non?

Yes, but not many Christians take the bible as inerrant…

I just had to look up inerrant. 😳

So, it's a bit like that argument that atheists disbelieve all gods, religious people disbelieve all but one of them.
    If most xtians accept that there are errors in parts of the bible, it's not such a big step to accepting that the whole thing is made up is it ?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not at all. I think that many Christians believe that the bible was written down by people who talked to God. So there's plenty of scope for errors.

The entire bible could be completely made up and it would in no way preclude the existence of a god, would it?

IdleJon

molgrips – Member
    I'd be surprised if children really were taught Christian ideas as facts these days. We had religious stories in primary school but that was 25 years ago. As far as I understand it (my family are teachers) they take great care to be secular these days.

My 6yr old's state school teaches the Easter and Xmas stories, and to a child of that age it comes across as fact, hence her arguing with me about the existence of Jesus/God/wise men/etc.

Strangely enough despite her school being 50% Muslim, she doesn't come home with brainwashed opinions about Mohammed.

duckman

Militantgraham; Nice try with the guy from the airport, earlier you made a statement that anybody who is religious has mental illness.Do a bit of research on your militant atheist,the guy who was leaving offensive cartoons in a Muslim prayer room,google him,By your own definition above, is he sane? Feel free to ignore this question if it is too hard.

Geronimo,Church of England,female and Gay Ministers are a fact,what is your point about members of the 11th biggest landowner sitting in the house designed for landowners? Fit in pretty well amoung the port drinkers IMO Not as if the rest of the house are shining beacons of social reform.Most of them probably have less progressive views than the CoE members.
    Levicticus is part of a number of books in the Old testament instructing the Jews how to live their lives,to show they are "different" to the non-jewish tribes.
    If you want to apply people turning up for an election as say against attending Christmas services,9 million labour votes v 11 million people in Church(all Christian faiths)between 23-25th Dec.
    Labour membership,not the same thing as voting is it? still; 169,000 members of labour party.260,000 attend CoE each Sunday,by your own logic Christianity has more relevence than Labour.
    For anybody posting about how their kids are being "indoctrinated" I am a teacher,and a father of a primary age boy.In the rural school my boy is at they do Easter,xmas,Ramadan,Dwali(festival of light)reincarnation.Despite their being NO kids from any ethnic backgrounds,same in secondary.Still,why let it get in the way of moaning about the all-prevading influence of religion because we do 2 Christian festivals.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Put the computer down. Nobody touched Jesus's easter eggs, so you can step away from the keyboard now thanks. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

My 6yr old's state school teaches the Easter and Xmas stories, and to a child of that age it comes across as fact, hence her arguing with me about the existence of Jesus/God/wise men/etc

I'd have strong words with the school if that were the case with my kids.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Diwali this, Channukah that. Christmas? Banned.*

(*© Bellamy's People)

duckman

Phoenix,could you please look through surfer,woppit and Junkyard's posts on how to troll Christians.Then if you could check sfb's on how to generally troll EVERYBODY.Do a bt of research and then come back,as you are falling short of the required standard.I realise that the ante is upped a bit from the MBUK part of Bikeradar,but you must try harder.

PS;Still waiting for the evidence on the Christian's involvement in ww2 as well.

IdleJon

duckman – Member

PS;Still waiting for the evidence on the Christian's involvement in ww2 as well.

I'm still eagerly awaiting the historical proof that Jesus existed that was mentioned early in the thread……

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Duckman. Why would I want to troll Christians? I don't believe that there is a god, but don't have any problem with others following their choice of religion as long as they don't disrespect my beliefs and retain their sense of humour.

Also, I gave my answer to that question a bit further up.

duckman

Must have missed it Phoenix?

Idlejohn,even Wiki (as much as it pains me to say) presents the evidence of his existance.There is little/no debate even amoung Atheists as to the existance of Jesus of Nazereth.It is what he did that annoys you so much…

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

I dont think anyone would dare attempt to deny that there might have been some dude who called himself Jesus that lived in Nazareth.

I would.
    Why would a guy from Nazareth have a Mexican name for a start.

trailmonkey

*sniggers*

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well Nazareth is inTexas, and there's a lot of Mexican immigrants living there.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Fair point.

So these people cannae even get the name right. is that correct?

higgo
    Free Member

I'm still eagerly awaiting the historical proof that Jesus existed that was mentioned early in the thread……

I'm still eagerly awaiting the historical proof that Jesus died and was resurrected that was mentioned early in the thread……

(although if he did exist, it's fair to assume he's died by now)

onewheelgood

duckman – Member

Must have missed it Phoenix?

Idlejohn,even Wiki (as much as it pains me to say) presents the evidence of his existance.There is little/no debate even amoung Atheists as to the existance of Jesus of Nazereth.It is what he did that annoys you so much…

I assume that by wiki you mean this article on the Historicity of Jesus. It doesn't seem to reference any contemporaneous accounts at all, and the vast majority of the 'evidence' is from the Bible or the Apocrypha. Doesn't look like a proven case to me, and I'm not even an Atheist (since that requires as much faith as to be a Theist).

higgo
    Free Member

…and the vast majority of the 'evidence' is from the Bible or the Apocrypha

which is a bit like saying hobbits exist because they're in both LOTR and The Hobbit.

duckman

Militantgraham,is it inconvenient to answer the question I asked earlier? Or would that require an element on consistency on your part. (Cue standard "a Christian asking for consistency remarks" without having to be yourself)Mind you,having an obsession with old,pointless trucks may be a sign of an ocd,oh wait,no.

Higgo,no I don't actually,Jesus is referred to in a number of contempary documents.But you provided a lazy link yes? There is more written evidence of his existence than there is of Socrates or Plato.What was the most reliable for finding ancient sites in the middle east before modern tech?It was the bible.Funny how they dictated position of cities etc,but made up 400 pages detailing the exploits of somebody who did not exist.Move the goal posts if you like,I did not say you had to believe he died and came back,you made that up all by yourself.You are free to believe what you want,free will etc.

Again,I have no problem with people having a different/no belief system,and unlike the majority of the posters on here,respect other people's viewpoint.I am impressed that you all care so much about something you claim is untrue.Good night and God Bless.

higgo
    Free Member

Higgo,no I don't actually

No, you don't what?

But you provided a lazy link yes?

I didn't provide any links, lazy or otherwise.

Move the goal posts if you like,I did not say you had to believe he died and came back,you made that up all by yourself.

No, I didn't. It way 'tyger' (not you) who said that " the evidence for Jesus's life, death and resurrection is overwhelming, historically as well as Biblically.". Show me the 'overwhelming, non-biblical historic evidence of resurrection'. Or get tyger to.

Militantgraham,is it inconvenient to answer the question I asked earlier?

Yes, I was asleep.

Do a bit of research on your militant atheist,the guy who was leaving offensive cartoons in a Muslim prayer room,google him

I'm not researching your argument for you. You google him and post the relevant bits here. Keep it short though, I haven't got a very good attention span.

hainey
    Free Member

Can someone explain to me why he decided to walk on water? Seems like a rather elaborate magic trick to pull for someone wanting to keep a low profile.

duckman

I'm not researching your argument for you. You google him and post the relevant bits here. Keep it short though, I haven't got a very good attention span.

Noticed already
    You brought him up to try and make a point about how Christians/religious people get special treatment.

…Or you now realise he was not a very good example for you to use…Or is he a fair representation of a "militant Atheist?" (His description of himself.)

A "Prayer room" in an airport for a start. Isn't that special treatment ?
    My original question was why was he arrested for distributing offensive leaflets about imaginary people when others don't get arrested for being equally offensive towards real people ?
    And why the change of tack to mentioning my "obsession with old,pointless trucks" ? Do you really find it so odd that I might have another hobby besides mountain biking and the one I mention in my profile ?

duckman

A prayer room payed for by the local Mosque,open to all faiths or even as a "quiet place for reflection"(Not my description)Hardly special treatment.
    People do get arrested for being equally offensive.Racial hatred is actually a crime,yes? This was pointed out to you about a page ago,but I don't mind reminding you.
    Again; Is he a fairly typical Atheist? Based on your ever changing rantings…I would imagine you would think so.
    I found your interest in trucks,enough to link your user profile on a mtb website to your own fanboy site seemed to fit in well with your own flawed description of mental illness.

tyger
    Free Member

Higgo – you've got mail 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Blimey, this thread still trundling along!

A Jewish leader called Jesus is mentioned in Josephus "History of the Jews", written circa AD70. There is no mention of the resurrection, or any of the other miracles mentioned in the Bible.

fwiw my 6 year old goes to a C of E primary school. They cover Christianity in a fair depth, being linked to the village church, but also cover other religions and religious festivals. My lad likes going to church with school or Beavers, he enjoys the singing and story telling. But he wasn't even 6 years old when he was telling me about the Bible story they'd been studying and finished with "But there isn't really a God is there?" I stopped worrying about it at that point, he'd got a handle on it.

tyger
    Free Member

swadey –

A Jewish leader called Jesus is mentioned in Josephus "History of the Jews", written circa AD70. There is no mention of the resurrection, or any of the other miracles mentioned in the Bible.

Is that all you've found for your evidence? You either didn't look very hard or don't want to.

john_drummer
    Free Member

even Wiki (as much as it pains me to say) presents the evidence of his existance

oh, Wikipedia has an entry. Must be true then 🙄

john_drummer
    Free Member

Can someone explain to me why he decided to walk on water

so people 2000-odd years later can tell jokes about Kevin Keegan?

tazzymtb

but Jesus invented fish fingers so he must be real! how else do you feed 5000 with some loaves and few fish

higgo
    Free Member

Higgo – you've got mail

I have but it doesn't contain the "overwhelming historical evidence" of resurrection that you claim.

As I said have above, if you want to follow a religion based on faith and belief, go right ahead but don't claim there is evidence where there is none. You shouldn't need evidence to support a faith-based religion.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘So Jesus said to his disciples as he was nailed to the cross..’ is closed to new replies.