Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • So I've ridden my 29er hardtail or a week, then back on the FS 26er…
  • Alex

29er is a solaris. FS is a rocket. I appreciate that’s a bit fanboi. Rocket has about 700k on it since Nov, Solaris 100k ish since last Sunday.

26–>29 isn’t that much of a jolt. Especially as FS is 150mm and HT is 100mm so it’s going to be different regardless of wheel size. Best to compare Solaris against my old C456. More grip definitely, more carve-y in the corners, definitely more forgiving, rolls so much better and is just a sweet bike to ride.

29–>26. First up, WHERE’S THE FRONT WHEEL? Oh it’s all the way down there is it on the end of that big fork. Right. Rocket is 3-4 lbs heavier I suppose and that’s noticeable. On flowing frozen singletrack it was ace, but I reckon I was faster on the solaris. Just didn’t seem to be as – and I hesitate to use this phrase – locked in. Winched up for a couple of rocky descents and ignored the brakes (and the shouting voice in my head suggesting I needed to grab them RIGHT NOW) and by crikey it was brilliant. Proper, silly quick over stuff that’d have me picking careful lines on the HT. Faster you go, the better it is. Just phenomenally l planted at speed.

Conclusion. Very happy to have two ace bikes. Completely different and better for it. Solaris will get more miles, but Rocket will get bigger terrain (esp if I can convince myself to plug a new x-fusion 160mm slant in the front) and big ‘wooah did you see that’ grins. I really wasn’t sure if the 29er thing was hype; in my non scientific way, I’m already a convert. But I love my FS as well.

One bike to rule them all? I think not.

Cotic Solaris by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Cotic Rocket 2012 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Just want to ride my (any) bike every day at the moment. Not going to get into which was is ‘best’. They are both ace, and I’m a very lucky lad to have them 😉

nickc

that Solaris is about as right looking as any 29er I’ve seen I think.

Alex

Ta. It looks a bit better with Conti MTN kings on it now rather than the superbly grippy but a bit too fat Hans Dampfs. I’m staggered at how capable it is, even in my hands. Still dry trails/new bike – novelty will probably wear off soon 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I draw pretty much the same conclusions between my Swift and My Pitch.

I’ve got a part built 130mm 26″ hardtail as well, but the more I faff with it the more I kinda wish it was a 29er.

Bazz

I also have come to that conclusion, don’t see why some folk have to get so shouty about different sized wheels 8)

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Wow! – A Hans Dampf fits on the rear!

I run one on the front of my Solaris, but didn’t think there was enough clearance for one on the rear.

Interesting………

singlespeedstu

You could come to the same conclusions comparing any full suss bike to any hardtail irrespective of wheel size.

Geometry has a lot more to do with the way a bike handles than what wheel size it has.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lovely bikes. Hmm must accelerate my 29er build efforts!

andypaul99
    Free Member

quote One bike to rule them all? I think not. quote

Thought so too until i got my anthem x 29er, apart from another 10mm travel or so i cant see why you would need much else

Alex

There’s enough room but it’s tight. I’ve taken them off for now, but they’ll be back on come spring. Super grippy. You might be right Stu, but I’ve had LOADS of hardtails and the Solaris feels quite a lot different. Certainly making me rethink my ideas about for travel. The 456 has a 150mm fork so was pretty slack I suppose.

Alex

I dunno about that. I like the fact the rocket and solaris are so different. I’m sure there’s a case for one bike, but if you’re lucky enough to have a couple (and the cx bike, and the road bike ahem..) then for me it might not make more sense but it makes more fun… YMMW, etc 😉

singlespeedstu

Thought so too until i got my anthem x 29er, apart from another 10mm travel or so i cant see why you would need much else

Bollox.
    A middle of the road Giant 29er might be your ideal bike but to say that it could do everything well is a bit short sighted.

A range of bikes that are vastley different to each other is far better.

deepo
    Free Member

I’ve got roughly the same, 29er HT/26 FS bikes and love them both. They add depth to my riding as I hop betwen the two. Would be keen to have a shot on a FS 29er though.

roverpig

Seriously singlespeedstu? You’re having a go at andypaul99 for suggesting that his solution might work for somebody else then, in the next breath, that a range of bikes is far better. What, for everyone ?

If I did want one bike to rule them all (and I’m not saying I do) I reckon a 120mm full suss 29er might be where it’s at for me too.

Anyway, back to the thread. I’m intrigued by the idea that you could feel the 3-4lb extra weight of the Rocket. My weight varies by at least 2 lb over a week and my pack by at least the same, yet I’ve never jumped on my bike and thought “gosh I feel heavy today”. I recon that, if somebody broke into my shed and stuck a 4lb weight in my bike, it would be a while before I realized. I’m not saying that you couldn’t feel the difference, but I wonder how much was down to the weight and how much of that is down to the fact that you know it is heavier.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered myself a 29er full sus to compliment my Cotic soul. Did a demo day at stif yesterday and it felt great really looking forward to getting out on some big rides when it comes.

singlespeedstu

a range of bikes is far better.

Yep it is.

As good as andy thinks his Anthem 29 is, it’ll be a bit meh in many situations.

It might be a great bike for him to ride his trails on but to say

i cant see why you would need much else

BTW I wasn’t having a go.
    Just pointing something out.

Is very short sighted.

Different hourses for different courses and all that. 🙂
    BTW
    I wasn’t “having a go” just giving my view.

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteBollox.
    A middle of the road Giant 29er might be your ideal bike but to say that it could do everything well is a bit short sighted.[/quote]

Single speed anthem x 29er ?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Wow! – A Hans Dampf fits on the rear!

I run one on the front of my Solaris, but didn’t think there was enough clearance for one on the rear.

Interesting………

There is a big difference between a tyre physically fitting and it being useable. Tubeless on anything but a narrow rim it will rub when you stomp the pedals.

singlespeedstu

😆 at andy.
    Like I said it’s maybe a great bike for your trails but there’s all kinds of different types and styles of riding out there.

Alex

1. Hans Dampf is fine unless its uber muddy once I’d hacked a chunk off the mech

2. Rocket felt a lot heavier/less sprightly/spin don’t stand than the Solaris. This may be because it was my third ride in three days and/or I’d been gardening with an Axe 😉 But while I want to go and hurt myself uphill on the Solaris, I’d much rather risk Injury on the Rocket on the way down. It’s not a bad climber, it’s just not as good as a 100mm hardtail.

3. The one bike/wheel size/you can ride than on a cross bike doesn’t really call to me. Lots of reasons to have different bikes. But I’m not being preachy about it 😉

nickc

It’s a bit like the thread about wearing tights/long lycra last week, getting angsty about what other people are having fun on seems like the ultimate in toss tbh.

The correct answer for anyone who proudly shows off their new bike is “that looks absolutely spot on* you must be dead chuffed”

*yes, even if you think it’s gopping

avdave2

but I reckon I was faster on the solaris.

I went for a 2 mile run on Thursday night ( I’m just getting back into it after a couple of years off where I kept getting problems with my ITB) and it went really well, I felt really good and felt that I had really good speed. I did exactly the same run yesterday and every step hurt and I just felt like I was struggling to get any rhythm going. When I looked at my time I’d run 1’22” faster than on the Thursday night. If you’d asked me which was quicker I’d of told you I was far quicker on the first run. So I wouldn’t read too much into which feels faster as being an actual indication of which is faster.

Anyway you’ve got 2 very nice bikes you like riding and that can’t be a bad thing.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Sorry, I must agree with SSStu, a range of bikes will cover a vast spectrum of riding, be it trail centres, natural, or even alpine, one bike on everything would show a compromise somewhere.

Solaris does look nice though ” thumbs up”

the_lecht_rocks

Wonder if my fireline Evo 29r will light a candle to my Nicolai Helius AC 29r……?

Doubtful, but will no doubt be the trail centre hack needed once Glenlivet opens its doors 👿

takisawa2

When I ran a 26″ FS & 29″ HT at the same time I found they complimented each other well. Felt so different, & really appreciated each after riding the other. I sold the FS early last year, convinced I could adapt to just the 29er. Whilst I enjoyed the HT, deep down I knew I should have kept the FS. Thanks to a mate, I’m only a few hours wheel building away from getting a FS up & rolling again. I think the HT will be the one that gets the most use, but looking forward to some good trails this spring. Regarding a 29″ FS, I tried a Trek Rumblefish, & it was just lovely, but it was nearly £4k. It was so bloody quick, but I don’t think it would cover both bases for me.

jamj1974

Both bikes are something special but your Solaris looks especially amazing!

geologist
    Free Member

Anyone want a blue pig? Ill swap for a 29er 😉 that solaris looks great.

garage-dweller

Quite green eyed at both! Lovely bikes and I can imagine a nice complement and contrast to each other.

ononeorange

Can’t wait to get hold of my Solaris!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘So I've ridden my 29er hardtail or a week, then back on the FS 26er…’ is closed to new replies.