• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • So… I've made my Chilli Jam a bit hot… Any way to rectify…
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Made a batch of chilli jam this evening with some (a lot) of home grown chillies. Had used a couple for cooking and they didn’t seem that hot. Apparently they are and I’ve created chilli flavoured lava.
    I quite like hot food but this stuff had me drinking milk straight from the bottle when I had a tiny taste off the plate I was using to test setting.

Before I stick it in jars and sell it as a chemical weapon, is there anything I can do to temper it oh wise STW collective?

Robz
    Free Member

Quickly knock up a batch of complimentary fruit (I.e. Plum) jam and cut it with the chilli mix.

Klunk
    Free Member

MTFU

oldnpastit

Mix lots of sugar into it.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

It’s so hot I got the wrong forum…

Unfortunately at nearly midnight and with a lack of ingredients dilution is not an option.

I added a bit more sugar but it’s still nuclear.

I’ve had to jar it so it didn’t turn to chilli toffee…

Small dab on end of finger has left lips still tingling 10mins later…

frankconway

Wash your hands and neutralise with milk before any ‘intimate touching’ – of self or others……………..

doltonrozzer
    Free Member

I think adding sugar will help. then send us some. 😮

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Christmas presents….

jonnyboi

Bin it, make a new batch if you still have any chillis left. There’s no magic ingredient to fix something that is massively over spiced, so your only real option is to dilute it somehow which has more risk of failure if it’s still way too hot

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Sell some to me!

kayak23

Cold weather Chamois cream.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Update:

I’ve tested it this morning and it hasn’t quite set to jelly/jam more of a very thick sweet chilli sauce consistency. It’s still effing hot. I tasted a tiny bit on the end of a tea spins about a quarter of an hour ago and I can still feel it now.

I might have to re-har it in to some tiny 41ml sample jars and send some out. I don’t think I should let 200ml at a time leave the building…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My local pub does like their hot sauce, the last order (a significant $$ value) turned up in 2 separate shipments on 2 days, everyone was suspicious there was a dangerous chemical issue going on that nobody wanted to talk about 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Add some lemon juice.

Job done.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

It had the juice of two limes in it, maybe I can add more and re-set it…

I’m considering making a second batch with practically no Chilli in it and combining them but even then I suspect it will still be a tad warm…

johnners
    Free Member

I’m considering making a second batch with practically no Chilli in it and combining them but even then I suspect it will still be a tad warm…

Just mixing a tablespoon of the chili stuff with a tablespoon of ordinary jam should give you an idea if it’s worth trying. And if it’s really nuclear maybe consider “making a second batch with practically no Chilli”?

Having said that, it sounds great as is!

bodgy
    Free Member

patent the recipe and market the jam; you’ll have loads of people nutters wanting to buy some . . .

McHamish
    Free Member

Use it as a rub/marinade for next years BBQ hot wings.

I want some.

bodgy
    Free Member

^^ Q.E.D.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

add a can(s) of tomatoes?

did you de-seed the chilli’s?

Cougar

Stop fannying about with it, make a new batch and gift the old one to someone who isn’t a wet lettuce. Like me for instance.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Repot them into very small 42ml jars and give as gifts / sell not as jam but as a cooking item?

Incidentally, what chillis were you growing? I’ve a crop im about to harvest…

plyphon
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Stop fannying about with it, make a new batch and gift the old one to someone who isn’t a wet lettuce. Like me for instance.

Alright if you’re throwing posts like that out there you gotta be held to account.

I’ll pay for postage.

andytherocketeer

did you de-seed the chilli’s?

-‘
    seeds aren’t the hottest bit. but I wouldn’t put them in jam anyway.
    think it’s the membrane that’s actually the hot bit.

thermonuclear chilli jam/sauce ftw.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I think I’m going to re-jar some of it in to some 41ml jars and send some out to the victims, I mean volunteers above…

Just have to be careful I don’t get bombed for selling WMD’s…

I did de-seeded them but a hand full got through.

I’d used the chillis in cooking and they didn’t seem very hot. Perhaps they have ripened up a bit in the interim. The recipe said 150-200g, maybe they didn’t mean over 100 suddenly very hot chillis.

Chilli plants were Aldi’s finest that I was given so I don’t know what variety. Generic supermarket Chilli I guess.

kimbers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxn08JBfggs[/video]

Houns

If I actually liked that stuff I’d offer to meet in the pub and swap a jar of yours for my damson, apple and plum jam. But, as I dont, I can’t verify the stuff for stw, let some other mug try :p

Houns

And to add, a few local pubs may have a jar off you as they like silly hot things. Try the Duke and the Robin Hood

z1ppy

Man that sounds like some good stuff, I love chilli jam! It’s a guess game even after a number of attempts as to how many chilli’s to put in it. I received the best feedback from a friend who’d just finished chemo (Chemo doesn’t do your taste buds many favours)

mariner
    Free Member

Make some red onion jam and cut it into that.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Ssend me a little 40g jar and i’ll wang one of mine your way when the crop’s in. Nice work.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cinnamon!

It instantly kills the burning mouth syndrome, ~20 years ago remember “steam coming out of my ears” after eating a raw chilli, housemate then gave me a generous slice of bread pudding that had masses of cinnamon in it.

tlr

Mmmm, chilli jam and roast chicken salad sandwiches. That was my lunch yesterday.

No bad thing to have a hot base sauce, which can be diluted (or not) to its audience.

lunge

And to add, a few local pubs may have a jar off you as they like silly hot things. Try the Duke and the Robin Hood

Guessing your a Stourbridge local, try The Waggon and Horses on Worcester Street too, they had some ragingly hot stuff behind the bar last time I went in.

Nico
    Free Member

Quickly knock up a batch of complimentary fruit (I.e. Plum) jam

I think you mean e.g. plum jam.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘So… I've made my Chilli Jam a bit hot… Any way to rectify…’ is closed to new replies.