• This topic has 281 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 282 total)
  • So. I've just ridden a Trek Stache….
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah the shop did the tubeless for me. They said it wasn’t hard, used Gorilla tape. Those tubes are quite meaty!

I’ve had the wheels off a few times while interfickering, they’re not heavy.

But I’m expecting to put a heavier tyre on the front when wet season arrives.

Is there any consensus about tyre pressures folks?

GavinB

I’d be keen to try one of the 2016 ones, but nowhere seems to have any in 21.5.

mattjg
    Free Member

just the 17.5 and 18.5 left I think Gavin.

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyone know how to get extra travel out of these Manitou Comps? At full travel (110mm) there is still 20mm or so of stanchion left so I guess it’s hitting a bumper or something.

ps the saddle is crap.

mattjg
    Free Member

another question: anyone on a Stache 9 with XT brakes and the SRAM shifter – does it come with Problem Solvers or just 2 clamps? (Trying 2 clamps on my S7 to run XT brakes but can’t get positioning to work for my lickle hands).

Any closeup pics of the S9 setup please?

mattjg
    Free Member

Alex I see from your pics you’re running 2 clamps, brakes outboard. I’ll give it another try.

swanny853

Anyone know how to get extra travel out of these Manitou Comps? At full travel (110mm) there is still 20mm or so of stanchion left so I guess it’s hitting a bumper or something.

You’re not supposed to- the top of the stanchion isn’t actually used. IIRC because otherwise the fork arch and the downtube would be getting a bit familiar.

edit- let the pressure out if you want to see where the ‘correct’ bottom out location is

tomlevell

I bought a 5 a few weeks ago becuase the colour is ACE and the saddle is fine :0)
    Being cheap helped too.

Struggles on rocky fast trails unsuprisingly as it’s rigid but I still need to buy an accurate pressure gauge so I can repeat air pressures and reduce by small amounts.

Compares to a 4″ Fat bike it’s not as comfortable but it weighs a lot less and goes fast.

Thrutching up steep stuff is amazing I’m currently eyeing up a rockysteppymanmade climb that I’d never thought I’d even think I could clean.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kw6SDy]Dalbeattie[/url] by Tom Levell, on Flickr

mattjg
    Free Member

@swanny sure I understand thanks. But the ’17 models are specced at 120mm travel not 110mm, for the same named fork and frame geo, so I bet it’s just an internal mod.

bonesetter
    Free Member

My 5 is the only bike I ride now

So fast once in the flow.

Still B+ rear and 29+ front and 11/12 psi (Topeak D2)

Also, XT brakes, Stooge Moto bar, 60 stem (21.5), Layback post, and a creaking Hope BB (screw together expensive one)

I thought the saddle ok to begin with but now I can feel a centre ridge and it’s looking worn

One thing – check your headsets as I did and it was rusty. A few have found the same on mtbr

swanny853

@swanny sure I understand thanks. But the ’17 models are specced at 120mm travel not 110mm, for the same named fork and frame geo, so I bet it’s just an internal mod.

Ah, sorry, misunderstood the question. You might be able too but the ’17 models might have slightly longer stanchions!

mattjg
    Free Member

So fast once in the flow.

amen. takes a bit of booting up but once it’s rolling, hang on and work it! a big bag of fun.

chomp
    Free Member

does anyone know anywhere that has the 5 at £1k? Having had a week or so on a mates I’m very keen to get my hands on one and am just re-eligible for C2W again

bonesetter
    Free Member

I should get looking quick as the new 5 has a suspension fork

chomp
    Free Member

yeah – think I’m going to end up looking at 2nd hand . . .

fd3chris
    Free Member

Bonesetter your right about the headset. Mine was grumbly on my 7 and when I took it apart the lower race was shot and rusty as hell. I replaced it with an cartridge acb and then it pours all day……

bueller
    Free Member

Chomp, Stans Cycles in Shrewsbury had a Stache 5 in size 18.5ins a few days ago. Didn’t look at the price, but assume it will be same as Trek website if they still have it.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ Should be able to get that for £1100

Chris – yeah, just not enough factory fit grease – what’s a cartridge acb?

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Anyone know how the stache 5 rides compared to a stooge. Looking to go b+ on either

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve owned both, at the same time

Geo of the the stache means you’ll be more weight forward, but you’ll get used to that, and of course you can tweak the cockpit (I ran a Stooge Moto bar which works fine)

Stache CS’s are super short and it feels it. With B+ and if you like the CS’s short then you’ll be popping off anything you can find, albeit at higher speed stability sacrifice

Stache is mega lightweight too

Stooge gets the nod for me though, and shines better in B+ mode. You can feel the steel

fd3chris
    Free Member

Sorry bonesetter I missed your question. Its a angular contact bearing. Its a lot better quality than what I had originally in mine.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks Chris

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Cheers chap. Been told that the stooge mk3 frame arrives end of march with improved fork and two sizes. Think that’s the one to go for.

bonesetter
    Free Member

It’ll have to be, unless you can find a used Stache 5 – no more new ones

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Seems an odd move dumping the rigid 5 from the range. It’s the only one I’ve seen out and about, which suggests it sold ok. I quite fancied one too, but couldn’t get a demo on a superlankytallguy sized one.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I got one of the last 5’s in 19.5. That was back in August.

It’s the best colour by far 🙂

I swap between using the rigid fork and a Lefty. Put some XT brakes on and went tubeless. One of the most fun bikes I’ve ever ridden. Slam that rear wheel!

Stedlocks
    Free Member

My stache 5 has been transformed by fitting some 2.4 conti mountain kings for the mud…..I can now ride it without fear of getting slammed in to the ground in the greasey stuff!

rone

My stache 5 has been transformed by fitting some 2.4 conti mountain kings for the mud…..I can now ride it without fear of getting slammed in to the ground in the greasey stuff!

Is that on the standard rim?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Yep…..and the added bonus of masses of mud clearance too

Stedlocks
    Free Member

rone

Stedlocks, I’m completely sold on that. I thought I’d have to get new rims. Dont rate the current tyres at all.

Doing it today. Cheers.

rone

Stedlocks – I can’t get the 2.4s on for love nor money. I’ve tried two different tyres, cO2 and compressor. Just don’t seem to want to lock on the rim.

How did you do it?

Daffy

There’s not a chance in hell I’d be putting a 2.4 tyre (particularly a Conti) onto a 45mm rim. That’s a VERY flat, square tyre. Schwalbe recommend nothing larger than 29mm for a 2.5″ tyre.

rone

Managed to get the rear 2.4 x-king protection on. Had to double tape it so it was slightly tighter all around.

Went up a treat. Rides loads better than the 3.00 chumbawumba tyre. Faster and grippier.

Won’t be going back to those Bontragers again. That said the 3.0 on the front can stay for now as I experiment with semi-fat front.

tomlevell

Love the Chupas. Ok maybe not so much right now in our mud but they get by.
    How much wear have yours had and how much do you want ;0)

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Chupas are working ok for me in the Peak, muddy climbs seem to be their downfall which is a shame but I can live with that as if it’s that muddy I’d be better off riding elsewhere. I’ll run them until they’re dead then replace them with something meatier.

On proper rocky trails they’re grand.

Think I posted these on the other Stache thread but here’s mine. It seems to really suit being built up a bit more hardcore with a big bar, dropper and tiny stem. It seems almost a shame to waste the bike’s potential building it up like Stedlock’s bike.

fifeandy
    Free Member

There’s not a chance in hell I’d be putting a 2.4 tyre (particularly a Conti) onto a 45mm rim. That’s a VERY flat, square tyre.

The MKII 2.4 is a stupid profile with the side knobs half way down the sidewall. Squaring it up with wide rims is going to vastly improve it.

rone

How much wear have yours had and how much do you want ;0)

900 odd miles. Which is okay.

But it’s a lethargic tyre for not much grip.

rone

It seems almost a shame to waste the bike’s potential building it up like Stedlock’s bike

I’m guilty of that too. And will be rid of probably it in the spring as it’s just turning into a winter heffer for me. It doesn’t really do anything my other bikes do, but it is a lot cheaper so less cocnern.

Bream
    Free Member

I guess it all comes down to the conditions you ride in regularly as the Chupas are working great for me. I’m lucky that in my area there is no real mud to clog things up; mainly a sand base mud.

Before I bought the Stache I was also considering a steel B+ option, specifically a Tarn and posted a question about this; one post that hit home was from pigyn: ‘I say don’t bother with steel for 3″ tyres, what’s the point? Compliance you can’t feel through 3″ of squish?’.

Anyway, in the end picked up an ex-demo as new Stache 9 and been really impressed with it, it’s like a fun fat bike. It’s agile and can actually be ridden fast without my legs exploding.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 282 total)

The topic ‘So. I've just ridden a Trek Stache….’ is closed to new replies.