• This topic has 281 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 282 total)
  • So. I've just ridden a Trek Stache….
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’ve looked at these and to be honest I’m a bit confused by the frame sizing, why is there 2 sizes on the frame?, i.e. 17.5” actual size 18.5” (or the other way round) I don’t get it???

mtbtom
    Free Member

I’ve looked at these and to be honest I’m a bit confused by the frame sizing, why is there 2 sizes on the frame?, i.e. 17.5” actual size 18.5” (or the other way round) I don’t get it???

It’s Trek’s way of dealing with the sloping top tube on a mountain bike. Bit less of a big deal these days now that sloping top tubes are pretty common across all ranges. Is a bit of a hangover from ‘back in the day’, when Treks came with VW logos on the seat stays.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/support/faq/question/can_you_explain_the_virtual_sizing_on_some_of_your_mountain_bikes/

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And other thing is how agile this bike (and 29+ in general) is with those mahoosive hoops – especially

Very agile indeed.
    As I think I’ve already said somewhere in this thread, I’ve never got on with 29″ wheels because they always felt ponderous and slightly disconnected to me. But someone somewhere (Gary Fisher?? 😉 ) has managed to get this thing to turn in quickly and precisely and yet keep the traditional 29er advantages people love, but then add in a silly amount of grip.
    I come from motorcycling and I like to lean a bike over and have it stay put, but the MTBer in me likes fast handling, and the Stache does this. It’s not an XC race bike, it’s not an enduro bike, it’s not an adventure bike, it IS a fun bike. I work in a Trek dealers, yes, but we sell other brands too and I’ve sold and worked on most things. It’s easy to get jaded when your life is bikes, but this thing seriously has impressed everyone that’s ridden it. All the staff have taken the demo bike out and come back smiling. We love it, honestly we do. We want you to buy one!
    Those big hoops are the key and Trek/Bontrager have got them right. All the models use the same rims and tyres, and that’s got to be worth noting. No scrimping where it counts. The wheels are actually remarkably light for their size, and light wheels always help. They come with tubes but also have tubeless rim strips fitted and ready to go, and come with the valves too (I’m assuming all three models do since the rims are the same) so loose the tubes and improve it further. If I was buying one I’d make sure the shop set the tubeless up at PDI stage to be honest.
    And I’ll tell you one thing – I’ve never ridden a bike that’s attracted so much attention form other riders…..

bonesetter
    Free Member

Good feedback PP – thanks

First, what is PDI?

Your demo/test sled is a 7 isn’t it, or at least the HT version of Stache?

The general consensus from feedback here and elsewhere (MTBR too where the bikes have been around for some time) is all good for the HT’s, but there’s little to no e-reportage of the rigid 5 which is the bike I am very interested in and being the 29 plus platform

Of course there’s going to be similarities and I take that as good, but it’s Trek’s execution of the Rigid which I would like to try – it all looks good, my only reservation is how the front feels weight wise

I have asked my LBS if they can arrange a demo, so finger’s crossed 🙂

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’m near stansted airport if you want a spin………

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s good of you to offer. I’m in the Midlands though

piemonster

More photos please… 🙂

Stedlocks
    Free Member

More pictures you say?
    Oh, go on then :0)

piemonster

*wants*

bonesetter
    Free Member

Brilliant pic – so many angles

Any more gush after today’s ride?

Next to ideal riding conditions for such a macheine

rideforlife2
    Free Member

Here’s mine, first ride went on for a bit longer than intended. Lucky I brought a set of lights!

ajc
    Free Member

Which one of you lot was riding a stache 5 through Farley green at lunchtime today?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

@bonesetter even though the initial ‘new bike’ blurred vision has past, it is still an excellent bike! I’ve found myself tinkering with tyre pressures a lot….a couple of pumps make them much faster for dry stuff, whilst you can let a bit out for the gloop or bumpy stuff….. I’m not sure if I’ve got a buckle in the front rim now though…might just have been not tensioned correctly…..I had a tyre slip off a footy bit with a ‘pop’. It might have been a small burp, but I can’t work out how to get the through axle in my home made wheel jig! I’ll play later

bonesetter
    Free Member

He he

Yeah, I’m taking the newer feedback with the caveat of honymoon in mind 🙂

I am in the process of getting a 5 demo from the LBS, who although are Trek dealers say they cannot arrange one. Thought that was a service a lbs provided, but maybe I’m wrong…

Tyre pressure tinkering is the new shock & fork tinkering – whereas before with 2.1 to 2.3/4 tyres you had a large window of psi, with the fatter it comes down to a couple of psi sweetspot

bonesetter
    Free Member

Mine’s arriving Wednesday 😛

Finger slipped 🙄

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Ha!
    You won’t regret it though……it’s a giggle. I just used it to run into town to post a couple of letters and get a hair cut..I was pulling wheelies and popping off kerbs like a 15 year old chav! And the chavs kept coming up to look at it outside the barbers :0)

bonesetter
    Free Member

What chainring does the 5 run?

It’s the Race Face AEffect crankset – does this mean it’s a Cinch/Next SL type?

Like this one:

RF 30T Cinch Direct

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Yep, except a 32 tooth one

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Why having just built up my Rooster do I still hanker over the Stache? 😕

Stedlocks
    Free Member

^
    Oh, dunno….it might be because it’s light, flickable and a real hoot to muck about on? :0)

A rooster was high on my list of wants, but it would have worked out too dear for my measly income…..this came in very cheap with the cycle to work

eddie11
    Free Member

the 18″ looks great, why did they stick that little strut on the seatpost on the 19.5″, why not a straight top tube? really makes the frame messy to my eyes.

Andy

Stand over on what will already by a tall bike due to the large wheels and large tyres. Have similar on my XL 140mm travel 29er Sultan and means I can get the right size frame without breaking my balls on every dismount

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyone SS’d one of these?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Mtbr chap has

Stedlocks
    Free Member

@bonesetter ….ridden that there stache yet? :0)

bonesetter
    Free Member

Got it, but not ridden it 🙁

Too busy

Maiden ride tomorrow 🙂

However, so far the bike looks really well engineered, and light weight too

Biggest positive so far is the 21.5 fits, and doesn’t look like a five bar gate 🙂

Leon
    Free Member

Anyone any idea how b+ wheels affect the Stache? Little concerned that as good as this bike may be, 29+ could be a bit of an evolutionary dead end…I know trek says you can use b+ wheels, but that will drop the bb, reduce the trail, probably have other effects…

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Got a demo one to try tomorrow down the Forest of Dean from Cheltenham Cycles so will see how it goes.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think Trek have made a fine job of things

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I hate to say I told you so but……!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Awesome bike best hardtail I have ever ridden only problem will make your other bikes feel insignificant Hay Ho well good in mud forks excellent Mantiou are back.

Denis99
    Free Member

Only downside that I have really found is that now the weather has changed, the front tyre is beginning to let go a little.

Had a couple of moments and one spill when the front tyre turned in on me on the steps at the top of the skyline descent.

Rear mech hanger is very slightly out of true causing some shifting issues.

Might change to a Maxxis Chronicle for the winter.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got a demo booked on a 7 at trek store on Friday ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

One of these big ugly things?

fd3chris
    Free Member

No that’s a 9. This is lower down the ranks but a lovely purple . I nearly bought it this wkd and when I went in the staff had decided to use it as a demo due to so much interest.

robdob
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking this bike has the same look of it as this great mans own bike.

I was fortunate enough to ride Geoff Apps Cleland bike at this ride in Scotland. Same short wheelbase, chunky tyres etc.

Looked ALL wrong but I have never ridden a bike which looks so wrong but feels so right even after 1 pedal turn. Nothing climbs like it and I didn’t get to ride it downhill much but I did witness Geoff, 30+ years older than me absolute belt past me on his Cleland on a rocky downhill.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Fair play to him, for riding hard at his age, but it’s not very pretty from those angles…….beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that though….

robdob
    Free Member

Fair play to him, for riding hard at his age, but it’s not very pretty from those angles…….beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that though….

Ride it and within about 1.2 seconds you no longer care what it looks like. Such a shame he never managed to get it into production, especially when fads like fat bikes have done well.

AlexSimon

If you do want a Cleland – the instructions are here:
    The untold story…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Back OT

Here’s mine

Wheels and bike (XL) almost look small 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 282 total)

The topic ‘So. I've just ridden a Trek Stache….’ is closed to new replies.