• This topic has 281 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 282 total)
  • So. I've just ridden a Trek Stache….
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Pics?

Leon
    Free Member

I was thinking of a Stache 5, but was wondering what happens if you decide you need suss forks? Can you buy funny g2 geometry forks aftermarket? Does the bike catch fire, or dissolve if you use normal forks?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

theres is only the manitooos at the moment that take the tyre size no?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Blatant on mtbr has fitted sus forks on the 5 and is well happy

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bonesetter, just look at the Trek website! It’s bog stock standard and fresh out of the box save for Specualized Bennies pedals which I already had. 🙂

I’ll ride it the long, off-road route to work in the morning but I’ve played around a bit with the forks and general set up. Never had Manitou forks of any sort before and initial testing is very favourable indeed.

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK

Give us the gush after your ride 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

steel Konas from 81-95 were fairly unremarkable bikes in almost every way. (yes. I have owned and ridden quite a few)

Hmm,I can only remember them from 88.

scotroutes

Hmm,I can only remember them from 88.
    [/quote]

stanfree
    Free Member

^^^ Ha ha brilliant.. 😀

helpful1
    Free Member

jamj1974

sorry if this upsets you.

Of course it doesn’t. Why would it? It’s your opinion and you are entitled to one…

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Does anyone know where they have a stache 5 in a size large that I can go along and sling my leg over? I want one, but need to try it for size

stevedoc
    Free Member

I must admit I was finger banging one at Wheelbase a couple of weeks ago ,, I liked

swanny853

Tried one at coed y brenin this weekend- not sure what I expected but I was grinning like an idiot. Rides nimble,fast and insane levels of grip. Contrary to suggestions, if you really puah hard and chuck the thing around it basically gets faster until eventually you cant keep up.

I am currently very tempted!

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m seriously looking at the 7. It seems to tick a lot of boxes for me as a playful 29er.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’ve just taken the plunge and ordered a stache 5 in 19.5″ flavour……hope it fits!
    Looking at what Ittle there is on the webz, I think I’ll be fine with the 19.5″, but you never know until you can actually ride one…..apparently, there were only going to be 5 arriving for general sale…….so that’s 4 now!

Denis99
    Free Member

I have the Stache 9 , 5 10 tall, 32 inside leg.

Riding a 19.5 inch frame
    Regards

Denis

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

eekend- not sure what I expected but I was grinning like an idiot. Rides nimble,fast and insane levels of grip. Contrary to suggestions, if you really puah hard and chuck the thing around it basically gets faster until eventually you cant keep up.

I’ve done 3 rides on mine now and that’s it in a nutshell really. It turns in really well and holds a line beautifully. The faster you go and the more you work it, the better it gets. It’s not a slow plodder that’s for sure.
    I’ve gone tubeless as well. The rims already have tape on them and valves are supplied, so why not? That’s made a noticeable difference, as you would imagine loosing 5-600g of your wheels would do!
    Mine weighs under 28.5lb with pedals (Specialized Bennies) so it’s not a heavy bike at all.
    I’ve played with the fork a bit too. It’s got adjustable air chamber volume (ie Spring rate adjust) and I’ve made mine one step more linear which makes the fork a bit more active. It’s a bloody good fork actually.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh, make sure the dealer gives you the included Bontrager 4mm torque tool. Lots of high end Treks are supplied with them, as is the Stache 9.

garlic
    Free Member

Steel Konas from 81-95 were fairly unremarkable bikes in almost every way.

Dunno though. Those ’82 Explosifs with the lugged 531 frames were pretty rad for their time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh ek, I like these things. Now for me to say that must mean I’m turning all funny inside or my left brain isn’t working. This is wholly due to the fact that anything “fat” related gives me a case of the heavies and I don’t like heavy bikes at all.

However..

Bespoke in Canary Wharf have a black and lime green one sitting in the window. I went in yesterday to get a book signed by an ex roadie( name?, not giving that away) and this bike was just sitting there and it was tempting me to go ride it.. it looks that good.

Still not going to buy one, shame but really don’t have anywhere I could possibly use it.. but this bike has certainly turned my eyes towards fatties.

8)

cinnamon_girl

I went in yesterday to get a book signed by an ex roadie( name?, not giving that away)

My (roadie) son went to a talk and asked the man to sign a copy for my Xmas pressie. 8) One happy Mummy. 😀

nedrapier

You tease, bikebouy.

Why so coy when “canary wharf book signing cycle” gets you there so quickly? It was too quick to even be fun!

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’d just call him a nasty word and I don’t like nasty words 😆

cinnamon_girl

From memory, when he’s been discussed the response on here was mixed, some were particularly vitriolic though. 😐

iain65
    Free Member

Funnily enough, we raced back from Cannock last Saturday to our local bike shop (Cotswold Cycles in Moreton in Marsh) to get a book signed and listen to ‘The Racer’. We also returned the Trek Stache 9 that we had out on demo – it was a good day really, the Stache was great and the talk/book signing was good.

So if you want see or Demo a Stache 9 then head to my local bike shop!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We’ve got a demo model in too. Stache 9, same as mine 17.5in frame. Dunno of I’m allowed to put the name of the shop here but my email is in my profile.

iain65
    Free Member

Awesome bike, really impressed everyone that rode it, I think I’m hoping that Trek will do a 29+ Remedy next year…..

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Do we know any english people who have ridden/tested the 5 though?

yamaha46
    Free Member

Peterpoddy, does the stache 5 come with the bontrager torque key? Got one on order.

bonesetter
    Free Member

The 5′ are now in stock at Trek HQ

bikebouy
    Free Member

That 9 I spotted last week costs £2700…

Hmm.. Nice’n’all but…

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Do you know what size 5’s are in stock?
    I’ll ring tomorrow if not

bonesetter
    Free Member

I don’t know what sizes are in stock

Let us know if I find out

wiggles
    Free Member

All 5’s in stock except the 19.5″ currently

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Bugger….guess which one I’m waiting on!
    Ah well, cheers for the update

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That 9 I spotted last week costs £2700…

Hmm.. Nice’n’all but…

It’s not cheap, no, but break it down a bit:
    £700 groupset
    £750 fork
    £650+ wheel set including tyres (Just add sealant to go tubeless)
    £200 brakes
    £230 bars, stem, saddle
    £240 dropper post

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, it’s also pretty light for such a bike. Mine is 28 1/4lb after tubeless conversion, including flat pedals

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK

We need 5 ride reports

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Just spoke to a nice bloke at trek, and he says the date for the 19″ is still looking good for the 2nd of November, but South downs have got a 19″ going their way…..someone needs to write a report!
    I’m v excited :0)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 282 total)

The topic ‘So. I've just ridden a Trek Stache….’ is closed to new replies.