Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • So, I've just bought a singlespeed.
  • juanghia
    Free Member

Anyone else got the ‘ V3: better knees in 5 days ‘ advert half way down this thread?

I don’t see any adverts anywhere on STW! Welcome to Singlespeeding.

I’ve currently got 3. A Cube Elite with Laufs and a tensioner made from an old XT&105 Mech, A Niner RDO and an On One…Got to say I enjoy the On One more than any of the others..that could just be that the Enve bars and Seatpost make the frame look a mockery 🙂

When I’m out on one of the geared bikes I tend to find if I vary from the 32:18 I feel like im riding in the wrong gear.

juanghia
    Free Member

Get yourself entered!
    https://www.ssuk17.com

What is it the website doesn’t really sort of say much 🙂

pirahna
    Free Member

mlbaker
    Can someone (tazzy) tell me more about oval chainrings on an SS? I’ve ridden SS for a long time but never even considered oval rings

I love oval rings but haven’t tried one on my SS. I’ve used them on a fixed road bike so they will work if you want to give it a go.

drofluf
    Free Member

mlbaker – Member
    Cheers drofluf, does it alter/improve performance?

Nothing empirical that I could back it up with except to say that it felt better.

tazzymtb

Oval work really well with singlespeeds, I got into using them around 2009/10 when guys like ned overend and fuzzy mylne were racing on them. Rotor Q rings are still the daddies of elliptical rings. Absolute black are ok if you’re on a budget, but they are made of cheese.

The rule of thumb for SS elliptical is to go two teeth up over a round, so if you use a 32 go to 34 oval. you can swap like for like, but like your mum used to say if you were wearing a coat indoors “you wont feel the benefit”

set the chain tension with the crank at 4 O’clock and then you wont get any chain drop issues.

Ovals help to smooth out knee bounce at very high cadence when you are spinning your titties off and at very low cadence grunts up climbs help to get over the dead spot.

adsh
    Free Member

There are a few things that make me smile when I’m really pissed off/down in the dumps

1. My dog saying hello to me

2. Taking my SS Superfly for a ride.

I think it’s because when I ride it I forget all about zones, power, HR etc all I can do is ride it hard and think about nothing apart from whether I can spin faster or grind more powerfully.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QzQz3D]Superfly SS[/url]

fifeandy
    Free Member

^^ That’s lovely
    How did you get one in the UK? I thought it was US only

adsh
    Free Member

Thanks – online from a shop in Brighton. A few places imported them

tazzymtb

my current SS toys

which is fitted with a prototype mirror polish RS8 from BETD/middleburn for testing

and the one constant singlepseed over the past 6 years in an otherwise ever changing collection

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘So, I've just bought a singlespeed.’ is closed to new replies.