Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • So, I've just bought a singlespeed.
  • treklee
    Free Member

I was after a dropper for the fatbike originally, and found one attached to a bike that happens to have no gears. So, how bad can they be to ride? Also, show me yours…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Love it. Mine’s currently dwelling at my folks, but I intend to bring it home around autumn for winter nightriding duties.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CgCSuY]First crash of the year. #mtb #2016 #ThetfordForest #flatearthsociety #singlespeed #singletrack #churchofsingletrack #berm #crash[/url] by Neil Cain, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vpnLi8]Clean climb on the ss. #MTB #summer #singlespeed #dust #view #iowshots #nofilter #nophotoshop #iPhone4s[/url] by Neil Cain, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oDEcHT]It’s not the Alps, but it’s what rigid singlespeeds were designed for. #massif #thetford #nofilter #singlespeed #singletrack #mtb[/url] by Neil Cain, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vAc9WZ]Climb cleaned on the #bringerofsuffering. #lensflare #iPhone4s #nofilter #nophotoshop #singlespeed #singletrack #mtb #lungstryingtoescape #steeperthanitlooks[/url] by Neil Cain, on Flickr

onlysteel
    Free Member

Welcome to a world of pain. After a while you start to enjoy it.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Once you get used to them a singlespeed can be quite relaxing for the mind.
    You need to figure out what gearing suits your riding best though.
    And you’ll never be chasing Strava KOM’s but then that’s not the point.
    Also, be prepared to have a twitchy finger/thumb until you get used to no rear shifter! 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Loved mine, a Niner One9 with all the RDO bits on it..wish I’d never sold it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

And you’ll never be chasing Strava KOM’s but then that’s not the point.

Well, downhill KoMs. 🙂

bigblackshed

Pain. Just……… PAIN.

You’ll either learn to love it or not. Either way just…. PAIN.

Now a quote from the Holy Book of Taz:

“Gurn like you’re shitting a pineapple”

shermer75
    Free Member

Now a quote from the Holy Book of Taz:

“Gurn like you’re shitting a pineapple”

😆

jekkyl

I have to admit there is something very tempting about a singlespeed mtb. It’s not a leap I have made yet but I am quite handy and have built up all my mtbs myself so I imagine it is something I’ll get round to. It would be only be for trail riding though, probably just trail centres and by trail centres I mean Cannock 😀

nedrapier

Hilly round here. SS is a great bike to take out if you’re in the mood for smashing up the hills and ragging down again.

Also a great bike to take if you’re not in the mood, but know a bike ride will sort you out. Twiddling a tiny gear isn’t an option. No choices, smashing up the hills is the only way. Get it all out! 😈 😀

tazzymtb

Welcome to the tribe, some simple things first. Ignore all the alpha male massive gear ratio stuff and find a ratio that works for you and where you ride. Some people are better at high cadence than slowly turning a 35rpm crankofwank up a long hill, but its all down to personal preference. Elliptical chain rings do make a positive difference on an ss. Stay away from absolute black stuff though as its made from cheese and you’ll end up with less teeth than Shane McGowan in about 2 weeks. Hills may hurt but don’t be afraid to get out and monkey all over the bars for extra barbarian points. Have a look at places like one cog cycling on Facebook as it’s a hive of scum and villainy but with helpful jawas and an old man may let you jiggle his lightsaber in exchange for information. Oh and most of all…… Don’t feed it after midnight and never…..never let it get wet

Klunk
    Free Member

love the cheapness, zero maintenance, smile gurn inducing fun of them.

spooky_b329

They are great 🙂

However, much more fun sharing the suffering if you can find like minded fools to ride with…especially when you first start out

tthew

OK, so what did you get?
    Love mine. Genesis High Latitude full rigid, (can’t find a picture)

gears_suck
    Free Member

[/url]20140524_182726 by gears_suck, on Flickr[/img]

postierich
    Free Member

Get yourself entered! 🙂
    https://www.ssuk17.com

gears_suck
    Free Member

I don’t get it. Time was there were no gears, no fat tires, no disc brakes, no bla blaa blaa.
    You get one, you ride it. This whole fanfare bollcocks about gurning and whiskey and all manly of manly things is superfluous bull crap. It’s no harder than anything else. Just a different mind set. You’re not special or harder or better than anyone else.
    Oh, and Stu’s misses could kick all your asses on one.
    So, get over yourselves, get your leg over the bike. Go out, ride and enjoy it.

Kato

Welcome to the fold singlespeeding brother. You will love it

sam3000

Ha!
    Best post ever gears_suck…
    A bike is a bike at the end of the day.

tazzymtb

Gears_suck I agree, and the bit about multi speed Stu’s misses. But my aren’t you a grumpy little soldier. You OK hon?

breadcrumb

My soon to be rebuilt Kona Unit-

It’s staying rigid this time but with some 29+ frontage. Looking forward to a good gurn.

Klunk
    Free Member

It’s no harder than anything else. Just a different mind set. You’re not special or harder or better than anyone else.

like to see you keep up with someone turning 44-11 on the flat running 32-16 😉

13thfloormonk

Love my current one, Charge Plug 1.

Doubt you could buy a faster bike (well, in a sprint at least) for the £350 I paid for it.

And it’s a ludicrous shade of pink 8)

xcstu
    Free Member

With a couple of years under my belt riding ss through most of the winter just loving it 🙂 p29

MoreCashThanDash

I’m loving the idea of going to buy a dropper and ending up buying a whole bike!

mountainman

I built one up from spares ,tatty old ali frame n forks from the ark and made of pig iron.Old chain set.
    Trouble is i’ve not seen it as my 17 year old son has claimed it despite having his own rockhopper down the shed .

Contemplating turning my Cannondale 29er into SS for next winter, then i’ll lock it away from others when not in use.

Rickos
    Free Member

I do it when I need a change and to stop me getting stuck in a rut. Good for restoring lost mojo too, just because.

Meant to be my Voodoo Bizango…

Here, old way – https://flic.kr/p/TcocYp

funkmasterp

I miss my SS Escapade. Really liked the one gear, no hassle setup. Just bimble or stand on hideous climbs and pick a ratio that suits you. Have fun OP and remember you still have three gears. Sit, stand and walk

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

Say goodbye to your knees

wwaswas

Single speed fat is really quite fun.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Anyone else got the ‘ V3: better knees in 5 days ‘ advert half way down this thread?

Liking the p29 pic………

bikebouy
    Free Member

Charlie the Bikemonger ran a few SS events, long distance stuff.

I met some great folks there, one or two used to be on here.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Great fun. When you burn your mates off up hills you can be all smug and should they drop you on long gentle descents you have an excuse.

kcal

Not the greatest pic of the Kilaeua, but here goes:

and in bouncier form:

kayla1
    Free Member

My Soul SSed using an ISCG adapter and a Stinger thinger-

70-ish miles in a day up to my mam’s and back? No probs! I love a bit of misery, me.

mlbaker
    Free Member

Can someone (tazzy) tell me more about oval chainrings on an SS? I’ve ridden SS for a long time but never even considered oval rings

drofluf
    Free Member

Can someone (tazzy) tell me more about oval chainrings on an SS? I’ve ridden SS for a long time but never even considered oval rings

I’m not tazzy (I think, but I’m not sure) but I was really sceptical at first but found it really made a difference. Felt odd to begin with but soon felt natural.

mlbaker
    Free Member

Cheers drofluf, does it alter/improve performance?

rOcKeTdOg

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘So, I've just bought a singlespeed.’ is closed to new replies.