Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • So I've handed my notice in…
  • ChuckMorris
    Free Member

… Eeek.

A little rash but I’m totally unhappy and it started to affect my personal life.

I’m looking at software development contracts and any advice from going 12 years permanent to contract work.

Anything I should put in place or avoid?

Thanks

frogstomp

Good luck, hope you can get the rash sorted out.

jimdubleyou

Don’t know how in demand your skills are, but you’re going to be up against people who have been contracting for a while. You’re either going to have to be very good, or a bit cheaper than everybody else.

From my experience, a bit of the latter can get you in the door a lot easier than the former. Once you’ve got a reputation / a bit of feedback on Linked In etc you can charge more.

Agents are in the business of making money for themselves. Getting you placed is secondary to that, so take everything they say with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I’ve lost track with the legislation that’s coming up, but it’s looking like your own Ltd is the easiest way to go wrt to IR35 / T&S etc.

Have a look here – http://www.contractoruk.com – for up to date info / a helpful (if sometimes brutal) forum.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Thanks for the link.

br
    Free Member

Handed in notice before getting another job/contract? I can only assume that you’re either brave/stupid or have a pile of cash to see you through until the next one…

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Stupid but happier.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Life is too short to be stuck in a job you hate. That being said some savings or as we used to call it FU-money is always handy. Contracting – just undercut established contractors, as you don’t have as much of that type of experience you shouod charge less initially. Good luck.

cranberry
    Free Member

It should work wonders on the rash.

Good luck – walking away from a toxic workplace is a wonderful feeling.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Good for you. I told my boss to shove it back in March. Got a new job while I was working my notice. It’s a more junior position but I’m much happier, have more energy, am more use around the house, and do more with my kids.

julians
    Free Member

Handed in notice before getting another job/contract? I can only assume that you’re either brave/stupid or have a pile of cash to see you through until the next one…

I’ve been contracting for 22 years now, and the viewpoint above is incorrect ime. You’ll win more contracts by being available immediately and not having to work a notice period.

I know that fly in the face of advice for seeking permie jobs,but were talking about contracts where someone has an urgent need for something now,not in 4 weeks.

I’ve *always* left every contract without something lined up, and always without fail something comes up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Good luck!

I got made redundant last month, TBH I wouldn’t have stuck around but the industry was in a hole so had to stay, then got given the boot.

Quite looking forward to a new job whatever it is now though as long as it turns up before the money runs out!

poly
    Free Member

What sort of development and where are you based?

poly
    Free Member

What sort of development and where are you based?

br
    Free Member

I’ve been contracting for 22 years now, and the viewpoint above is incorrect ime. You’ll win more contracts by being available immediately and not having to work a notice period.

I’m a contractor also, so well aware of the need to be ‘free’, NOW but we’ve many years of contracting experience. This chap will need to be lucky.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Java developer based in Chorley.

Im not against another permanent position.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’d imagine there’d be a number of Java contracts available in or around Manchester. Try the various jobs boards

I went from permie to contract about 18 months ago – enforced – but fell straight into a contract. Did umbrella for the first three months then went Ltd Company

Plus points- hourly rate is better, no corporate BS to swallow, no greasy pole to climb,you can take as much holiday as you like provided you don’t take the micky
    Negatives – no security (is there any anyway?), no sick pay, no holiday pay, sort your own pension out

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘So I've handed my notice in…’ is closed to new replies.