• This topic has 27 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ji.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • So Ive finished the Fire and Ice Saga..what next?
  • smogmonster

Ive just finished the final book in the Fire and Ice Saga, and need some inspiration for what to read next. Something along the same lines would be great, an Epic tale across a few volumes. Any suggestions?

beanum

Julian May’s “Saga of the Exiles” is excellent and has recently been reprinted I think… It is Sci Fi but only just..

Wiki

There is a related “Galactice Mileu Trilogy” and a book “Intervention” to bridge the two.

Wiki

hallz
    Free Member

Joe Abercrombie’s “The First Law” Trilogy…

slackalice
    Free Member

Raymond Feist – Rift War Saga

Still one of the best IMHO

kimbers

+1 for the first law trilogy, say one thing for logan nine fingers say hes a c…..

if you have time to kill Robert Jordan’s wheel of time series will keep u going until the next rr martin and at least its finished

nbt

The first law is great, as above
    wheel of time is good
    Patrick Rothfuss is very much worth checking out, although he’s only published two books so far

Robin Hobb’s done some great stuff
    Janny Wurts has written with Raymon Feist, the empire trilogy is a spinoff from the riftwar, but her solo stuff in the wars of light and shadow is great too

tmb467
    Free Member

I found Neal Stephenson’s The Baroque Cycle really good
    Quicksilver, The Confusion and The System of The World

Baroque Cycle

homer

I’m on the second of the Dark Law trilogy at the moment. Some great characters, and a dark humour in places. Recommended.
    We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged.

wwaswas

Steven Erikson – Malazan empire series. Brilliant books.

mogrim

wheel of time is good

Not that good, could have done with some serious editing in some of the later books.

Orcs by Stan Nicholls is pretty enjoyable.

fd3chris
    Free Member

+ 10 for Julian may, best read I’ve had in a long time, must be now rereading them for the 5th time.

Northwind

Ash, by Mary Gentle- maybe a bit over-clever in places but it is fantastic.

Roger Zelazny’s Amber series… The first 5 in the series especially. It’d feel fresh and exciting if it came out today, never mind 40 years ago.

Already recommended … Joe Abercrombie is excellent- it does get a bit samey over time though- the same characters get used and used, sometimes with different names and faces. Definitely fits into the George RR Martin genre of “fantasy in which everyone is a dick”

Wheel of Time- yep, has good bits but they’re a bit drowned in the bad. Reading the Brandon Sanderson ones really does show up how badly Jordan had lost it. Not really sure I’d recommend it, too much of an investment in time. Radio edit required 😉

Speaking of Brandon Sanderson- again a little bit formulaic, it’s the same recipe every time- think of some interesting form of magic, write a story round it. But when it works, it works.

Haven’t read any Ray Feist for a while, I ended up not being able to tell which ones I’d read and which ones I hadn’t, they’re all basically the same. X of an angry Y. But the first few are excellent, as are the Janny Wurts crossovers.

gab344
    Free Member

Someone has just asked G.R.R. Martin the very same question on his blog. This is what he had to say about it :-

http://grrm.livejournal.com/316785.html

fasthaggis

If you haven’t already ..

Stephen Donaldson
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

john_drummer
    Free Member

Julian May’s “Saga of the Exiles” is excellent

+1

Stephen Donaldson
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

+1 – but it’s a harder read than May’s books

fd3chris
    Free Member

Agree with you there John but worth sticking with as it’s also a fantastic read.

john_drummer
    Free Member

indeed it is

deluded
    Free Member

Has anyone read ‘The Lies of Locke Lamora’ the first of the Gentlemen Bastard series by Scott Lynch? It’s on my read list – seems well recommended.

househusband

If you something a bit more light-hearted – Chris Wooding’s trilogy; ‘Retribution Falls’, ‘The Black Lung Captain’ and ‘The Iron Jackal’..?

Saccades
    Free Member

Robin Hobb’s done some great stuff

haha, female mentalist badly writing the thoughts of a young lad with a cop out deus ex ending and some bollocks about ships.

I’d rather read more of that terry goodkind rubbish (which is halfords apollo levels of bad) or poke my eyes out with a blunt thing.

darrell
    Free Member

Tad Williams

AD

Old but well worth a look – The Winter of the World Trilogy (Anvil of Ice, Forge in the Forest and Hammer of the Sun) by Michael Scott Rohan.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Tim Lebbon’s “Fallen” is pretty good. one off book but set in a world called “Noreela”, and there are IIRC three other books set there – all stand-alone if I read his website correctly

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

The lies of Locke lamora is a good read but he only wrote the first 2 books and then went off the radar due to personal problems, Joe Abercrombie is a good read in a similar vein. I started out on Raymond E Feist, David Eddings and David Gemmell. Eddings and Gemmell may be a bit easy reading for some but if you want some good heroic fantasy and great characters I’d start there along with Magician by Raymond E Feist. Terry Goodkind’s Wizards first rule started off great along with Jordan’s wheel of time but both got lost along the way.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

The left hand of god is worth a read by Paul Hoffman although he messed up the finish by copying his ‘favourite’ battle from history rather than inventing his own.

kimbers

ji
    Free Member

Otherland by Tad Williams? Like some of the others it loses its way a bit in the middle, but is a great sprawling SF/fantasy read.

wouldn’t recommend wheel of time, as the writing is pretty immature.

KJ Parker wrote several interesting books, but not quite the same epic trilogy type.

…and of course there is Tolkein!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘So Ive finished the Fire and Ice Saga..what next?’ is closed to new replies.