Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • So I've converted to tubeless. Now how do I get them off?!!
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve converted my DT 5.1d rims to tubeless using the Eclipse tubeless kit (same as the DT branded one), and fitted Bonty XR4 tyres. Now I’d like to take them off to fit the mud tyres for the winter.

How on earth can I pop the bead of the tyre off the rim seat??!! It took over 80 PSi to get them on there, so I imagine I need similar force (somehow) to pry them off.

Solved the problem on the front wheel by building another wheel, but I can’t justify a 2nd Roholoff!

Suggestions gratefully accepted.

oldnick

Just try the usual method.

bigblackshed

Brute force and ingorance.

HTH.

*Try one of the Pedros downhill tyre levers. Looks like a spoon handle on a big screwdriver. Have to use one on my hybrid rims. They grip the bead very tightly.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The usual method being what?

As in push the tyre bead off the rim all the way round, then lever it off? Problem is I can’t push the tyre bead out of the rim seat as the Eclipse rim tape has a ridge running around it to get a better seal

oldnick

Ah, the dreaded bead lock, my apologies. In that case borrow a time machine and buy tubeless tape instead, I started out when rubber bands were all there was and ditched them asap.

If you can’t borrow a time machine then the Pedros lever is probably your only hope.

Doesn’t help this time but different tyres have different tightnesses of fit, and you thought there were only 3 sizes 😉 Trial and error unfortunately, but as a rule of thumb you shouldn’t go over 40psi to seat a tyre…

Slosh loads of soapy water into the join of the rim and tyre and see if that helps to shift it, failing that put just enough air in it to stop the rim grounding and ride it in small circles on the grass until it falls off.

Good luck 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Brute force finally pulled it out of the bead, and then it all fell off. And then had to do the same for the other side….

Eclipse tape is great, when installed. Bugger to get it seated, and a bugger to get it off, but it stays on!

Now to get the replacement tyre on…

oldnick

If you have a mate with a decent tyre library try a few different makes, thinking about it my 5.1d’s were utter b@st@rds to fit Bonty Jones’s onto, so maybe avoid them ;)(Had to use tyre levers to get them on – the shame!)

Plus if you tear a tyre out in the wilds you want to be able to bung a tube in if the sticky string can’t fix it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘So I've converted to tubeless. Now how do I get them off?!!’ is closed to new replies.