Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • So I've bought my first cyclocross bike…
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

Always been into mtb and never really had much interest in the drop bar variety (with the exception of watching the Tour). With the increase in “adventure “bikes and disc brakes my interest increased. The last straw was the reintroduction of the CTW scheme at my work and my potential 8 mile commute mostly on towpath. The bike’s been fantastic (Giant TCX SLR1) and so much quicker than the mtb. I seem to be a convert!
    Quick question for those already hooked; I no I won’t use it in the same aggressive way as an mtb, but do you still use a chain protector on your chainstay or will a 46/36 set up give sufficient clearance not to worry about chipped paintwork? I know, I know, but I’ve still got new bike syndrome to contend with!! Any advice greatly appreciated.

allfankledup

Yes, put one on – a neoprene one will be fine

I started to find my chain catching when back-pedalling / chain was dirty.

Chain was dirty as the Bike was getting used a hell of a lot more than my mtb ever was.

swhoward

What AFU said. I have a neoprene one on mine that does the job.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Good call. Any excuse to adorn the new bike with trinkets! Thanks.

cookeaa

I didn’t have a spare chainstay protector, so I wrapped it with an old length of bar tape, looks odd and a bit bulky but has a good damping effect, old inner tubes, leccy tape, Heli tape, I’ve seen all sorts used and work but yeah, protect the stay the mech will wibble about and the chain will make contact…

antigee

…”any excuse for a trinket”

would have thought the OP could be banned for considering a chain protector as bling
    though I’d consider being a witness for the defence

edhornby

As cookeaa says, a length of innertube cabletied on does the job nicely

badgerbater
    Free Member

Not bling, but more the additional “stuff” that you justify spending on a new bike! It’s all good…

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I put a lizard skin one on
    Cross bikes are great don’t go mad on the descents great for climbing just makes some rides more interesting.Been down the Purbecks on mine all week great done some great rides by the sea and over the hills far better than using my 29er down here.Enjoy.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Just ordered a lizard skin thanks. Yes the bike takes a bit of getting use to; the Spire brakes aren’t as snappy as hydraulic mtb brakes. And I know that at some point the toe overlap with the front wheel is going to catch me out when I least expect it! But it certainly puts a smile on your face; loving the honeymoon period!

badgerbater
    Free Member

Hasn’t happened yet, but was wondering if I ever needed lower ratios for continuous steep climbing what the current rear mech would take? I think it’s a short cage with current 11-28 cassette and 46/36 up front. If I decided to change to say a smaller 34 ring what could the existing mech cope with at the back?

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve just put a 32 on the back on my TCX SLR. Kept the front as it was with the stock cross chainset although I’m thinking about a smaller inner ring. The top jockey wheel is almost touching the teeth of the cassette when in the big ring and 32. Not an ideal gear combo and i only find myself in it if I’m not concentrating but otherwise, it’s all good.

stever
    Free Member

Have you rammed the B tension screw all the way in Monksie? I’m in the same boat with 32 cassette and medium cage mech. It’s just about OK 🙂

badgerbater
    Free Member

According to Shimano a short cage mech, which I’m pretty sure I’ve got, will only go to 28T on the rear. However, it will accommodate a 16T difference up front. So the cheapest option would be to fit a 32T up front. But from what you are saying, it sounds like these rules can be broken!

monksie
    Free Member

Eyup Steve! how’s it going?
    I didn’t think of the B screw until you said it. Then I did. It worked. Top jockey wheel clears the 32 tooth cog now. Thanks.
    It’s working fine for me with the 36 front chainring, 32 tooth cassette and the 105 mech (pretty sure it will be the same length cage as yours). Especially now the B screw is screwed.

stever
    Free Member

I love a happy ending! Alright thanks Steve, alright.
    Mine’s 34/46 front (you may be limited to 34 on the chainset badgerbater) and 11-32 on the back with a 105 mech. I wouldn’t exactly *recommend* it – it’s definitely noisy – but just about do-able. I wanted to put a 34 cassette on for the 3 Peaks but never got around to fiddling with a new mech.

badgerbater
    Free Member

@Stever, as you say, 34T looks like the smallest the RS500 chainset will take, unless anyone has a work round! Not sure I like the sound of an 11-32 with a short cage.

monksie
    Free Member

Works perfectly (and now quietly) for me. I did 65 miles on it today. No problems.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘So I've bought my first cyclocross bike…’ is closed to new replies.