• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • So, I've been a BB7 evangelist for a long time, but I'm wavering…
  • IHN

I went to BB7s after eventually getting pee’d off with the hydro discs I had at the time – Hope Mono Minis. It seemed that there was always something up with them; sticky pistons, rattly levers, leaky reservoirs, constantly rebleeding (and it’s associated faff) etc etc. After a while I just thought balls to it and bought some BB7s which I’ve been happy with for the past five-ish years

However, I’m aware that times have moved on and the BB7s are probably not as powerful and are probably heavier than a modern hydro and modern hydros are probably more reliable than my old Hopes and maybe I should think about going back to hydro brakes.

Am I right?

If so, what are the de-facto, fit-and-forget, they-just-work hydro brakes?

scotroutes

Shimano Deore

Joe

SHIMANO *end of thread…*

and if you had tried shimano originally… you would have never bought your bb7’s in the first place.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    takisawa2

Nah. BB7’s. 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Shimano Servo-Wave brakes are probably your best bet for having a large gap between pad and rotor, which is something you can do with BB7s and speed-dial levers, which means you get less problems with rubbing pads.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fitting your brakes correctly means

which means you get less problems with rubbing pads.

I like my bb7s but i equally like my x2 race and mono minis , none of them seem any less powerful than the other

Fed up of shimanos though , 3 sets now with leaky calipers. Utter garbage. Older xts , servowave xts and xt4pots

If they made seals and i could fix em then no sweat but maki them disposables just crap.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I used to have some Hayes Stroker jobbies on my bike and one day we rigged up a camera to the bike that was looking behind and a mate and I raced down our favorite trail. On reviewing the footage I noticed how ‘on’ or ‘off’ my Hayes brakes were and that the rear wheel was locking up all the time.

I then swapped them out for a set of SLX servo’s and wow, what a difference. I now have them and some XTs on all my bikes. Never need any work and if they do, I can never be bothered and my LBS charge peanuts to re-bleed them as they are so easy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Fitting your brakes correctly means

which means you get less problems with rubbing pads.

I am meaning that when ridding muddy conditions a larger gap helps to avoid rubbing.

I remember a Swinley Gorrick race discussed on here where the conditions were really muddy and loads of people were having to give up after only a couple of laps because they had gone through their pads and their spare pads.

One of the finishers reckoned his servowave Shimanos helped as they didn’t have the constant mud grinding of people with other brake types.

BB7s with speed-dial levers wound out allow you to do this also.

soulwood
    Free Member

SHIMANO *end of thread…*

and if you had tried shimano originally… you would have never bought your bb7’s in the first place.

This ^ I had Hope mini’s, shimano (which leaked oil over the disc after 6 mths) then the very best (!) Magura which dragged and squealed and moaned constantly. BB7’s now on all of my bikes and they work great. No bleeding, no fuss. Great for all year round riding and that includes commuting through salt covered roads.

IHN

I like my bb7s but i equally like my x2 race and mono minis , none of them seem any less powerful than the other

That’s interesting. Are you using the same size rotors on them all?

So if the power thing is moot, I guess its done to weight.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘So, I've been a BB7 evangelist for a long time, but I'm wavering…’ is closed to new replies.