• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hels.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • So its my first driving lesson today…. In the dark
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Unlike all of my friends I haven’t rushed out to get driving lessons. I left it a couple of years and fortunately put myself in a position to pay for all of my lessons in quick succesion if I choose so.

Would it be good to go for 2/3 lessons a week?

And any tips you can think might help me?

Looking to potentially buy a quad bike instead of car, I can still whack a trailer on it for my bieks when I go away 😀

Duane…
    Free Member

Quad bikes for road use are silly.

Driving lessons are good fun 🙂

13thfloormonk

On my second lesson at the ripe old age of 28. Its good fun once you get the hang of nice smooth gear changes!

Don’t want to space the lessons out too much, I had six days between first and second and wasn’t the sharpest this morning until I’d got a few manouvres under my belt.

jon1973
    Free Member

Would it be good to go for 2/3 lessons a week?

Do you have someone who can take you out to practice? I found that a lesson a week (this was years ago) and going out a couple of times with someone else makes good practice and is much cheaper.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

no one to take me out

Jamie
    Free Member

On my second lesson at the ripe old age of 28. Its good fun once you get the hang of nice smooth gear changes!

I started/past test aged 30. Once I passed, I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

hora
    Free Member

9 out of my 10 lessons were at night.

Quality of instructor is important too. Mrshora had £250 worth of lessons, I took her out and I was shocked that the Instructor hadn’t taught her to apply the handbrake at lights.

Taff
    Free Member

Do abuot 2-3 hours a week just to build up confidence and so that you don’t forget stuff. More if you can afford it but space it out. We all have bad days even after passing our tests and the last thing you want is a 4 hour block where you may make mistake that has an affect on the lesson.

bobbyspangles

good luck fella, and watch your speed! 😕

hora
    Free Member

When do you feel most alert? Are you a morning or evening-type?

You need mileage under your belt. Sitting in traffic is great but its getting a feel for the flow, speed etc that give you confidence IMO.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

most alert at about 6pm

donsimon
    Free Member

Like everything, it’s practice you’ll need. Learn how to do it correctly with the instructor, then practice and be sure that they are teaching you how to drive and not how to pass an exam. There are too many dangerous drivers out there already.
    I can still look back on my first driving lesson and smile…
    Good luck and enjoy.

BigJohn

Better to have your first lesson when it’s still light.

hora
    Free Member

His first lesson will be clutch bitepoint, driving in a straight line and brakes!

saxabar
    Free Member

I learnt earlier this year. I don’t think it makes much of a difference whether it’s light or dark, but try to make sure you’re not rushing from a stressful situation into your lesson. It only takes a cock-up or two to knock you from your stride. I also gave myself a few minutes before a lesson to visualise what I’d done so far so to to embed the basics.

hora
    Free Member

V.Good advice ^

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dark stops you looking at your feet to see what pedal they are on – you cant see em

– my mum got made to take a few lessons in the dark for this very reason !

Klunk
    Free Member

Do you have someone who can take you out to practice? I found that a lesson a week (this was years ago) and going out a couple of times with someone else makes good practice and is much cheaper.

yeah much cheaper for the learner, not so cheap for the someone.

hels
    Free Member

I helped a friend a few years ago who was learning to drive. Arnold Clarks will rent out learner cars on an hourly basis, dual controls. All you need is a licenced experienced driver (with nerves of steel !) with you. Tis cheaper then lessons and you aren’t risking anybody’s insurance, if you want to get a bit pf practice in before your test.

Not that it helped my friend, he had 8 goes (that he will admit to) to get his licence. Beta-blockers did the trick in the end to get him through the test.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘So its my first driving lesson today…. In the dark’ is closed to new replies.