Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • so its job time for me…
  • millzy
    Free Member

well i guess its time for me to find a proper job…

have got a degree in geography with marine studies… from a not so great uni,

really clueless as to what to look for in jobs, although i guess im going to have to accept that nowadays, i wont really have much choice in jobs i do as there is very little available at the moment!

i have applied for a few jobs with no success …yet..

what sort of jobs do you guys do that may interest me,

i like The SEA! sport, the outdoors, i like non repetitive jobs, non office jobs (though i understand office work is inevitable) im very sociable… i like renewable power and studying the environment etc…

hmmm

SaxonRider

Can I suggest you begin by not denigrating your uni? That’s the one you went to. Did you get something out of your time there? Are you more knowledgeable? More sociable? More mature? Then who cares what uni it was. Employers will be looking for a creative, thinking, energetic, interested, and interesting person.

Your last few lines suggest you are these things, so you should be fine.

Best of luck.

OwenP

Are you tied to any particular location?

What type of organisation do you think you would be happiest in? Big multinational (inc. structured career or graduate scheme)/ public sector (& regulation) / Not-for-profit and NGO’s like WWF / Contractors?

FWIW i work in environmental and engineering research. I’ve done some other stuff on the way, including being ‘field based’ (when i left uni i was convinced i wouldnt go to an ‘office job’ – how things change…!) All jobs have plusses and minuses. Start looking for what you want and end up settling as close to that as you can get.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Go work off shore. If I had just graduated and was aware of the possibilities that I’m aware of know I would. Do it for 5 years and save really hard.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Australia, Mining and geological industry.

Nuff said…

Macavity
    Free Member

Only a suggestion but if you like a challenge
    http://www.raleighinternational.org/work-for-raleigh

Flaperon

No job fairs at your uni? Go and talk to your project supervisor and see if he/she knows anyone recruiting. If you did a good job they might put a word in someone’s ear on your behalf.

Please don’t say you did 3 or 4 years at uni and it’s only now that you’re thinking about work.

camo16
    Free Member

Please don’t say you did 3 or 4 years at uni and it’s only now that you’re thinking about work.

You write as if you think the OP is unusual! 🙄

I did seven years at uni (inc. PhD) and after almost a decade in work I still don’t know what I want to do!

People with life plans scare me.

jam-bo

Offshore is booming.

hofnar
    Free Member

Don’t mind working two months away from home long hours and then a full month paid off time?

Think Dredging http://www.deme.be

More specific our renewable energy (we build wind farms http://www.Geosea.be

its bBlgian but they hire people world wide and send you all over the world to work.

OwenP

Lots of fun outdoorsy environmental jobs get advertised here http://www.countryside-jobs.com/index.html

Plenty of other sites out there which i’m sure you are checking! Don’t forget that some firms only advertise posts directly (own webpage etc), so don’t rely just on the big job sites if you know the firms you might like to work for. As above, there’s no substitute for word of mouth, so if you have any people you know from your studies….

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Probably doesn’t help but one of the professors at Nottingham (where I’ve just graduated from) had a degree in something related to marine studies. Ended up going into chemistry/chemical engineering and is subsequently making a lot of money as he has his own business (with another of the academics) along with being a chemistry professor all to do with green stuff.

So I guess you can always diversify.

Good luck anyway! 🙂

kevj
    Free Member

As mentioned above, offshore is booming and off the back of this, Ports are seeing more vessel movements on their quays.

Ports need a multitude of professions to operate smoothly and there is always the option to diversify once you are in.

millzy
    Free Member

all looks great, thanks guys

Hofnar, that company does actually look really interesting, have emailed them! do you work for them?

cheers once again fellow STWers!

hofnar
    Free Member

I work for one of the group company’s and have worked occasionally for Geosea on a windfarm build. I am not an engineer though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘so its job time for me…’ is closed to new replies.