Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • So it's Daves last day at the office
  • binners

What will his legacy be? What will he be remembered for?

I think it’ll be:

1) The stupidity of promising to deliver a referendum, never actually believing he’d have too, so taking us out of the EU by mistake 😳
    2) Erm…..
    3) No….. thats it

Did I miss anything?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There’s your box of roses now **** off

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Dave and Boris go on an all day bender around the capital. Topping off with stealing a bendy bus and driving it into Tony Blair’s garden.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonefishin
    Free Member

I’m not much of fan of the conservative party in general but if we include the previous government, i.e. the coalition, then the same sex marriage act gets a big thumbs up from me.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The big society?

The northern powerhouse?

5thElefant
    Free Member

A vaguely remembered figure who was around just prior to the collapse of the labour party?

And something to do with a pig.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep, looking like an utter berk when the referendum result came in, and putting his John Thomas in a pigs head. Cheers for the memories Dave.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tom B – you do realise where the pigs head story came from don’t you?

Binners, certainly looking forward to PMQ. It should be quiet amusing

Ultimately, all political careers end in failure and his achievements (the one that surprised me was that coalitions can work in the UK) will be overshadowed by two moments of panic – first with the Scottish referendum and the frantic last minute promises and second and far more importantly Europe. Unfortunately, he failed in his mission to prevent the Tories being split on Europe (who wouldn’t) and has now fallen on his sword.

I was always agnostic towards Dave as it was always very difficult to understand what he stood for – hence the early Labour chameleon jibes – but I also believe that looking at recent developments, he might well be missed and his statesmanship recognised belatedly.

As always, be careful what you wish for….

Still he now can make some serious shreds!!!!!

matt_outandabout

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Who’s the loser in that photo?

user-removed
    Free Member

I was always agnostic towards Dave

No-one’s suggested he’s God you know…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

He put his party before the country,had a referendum to keep his back benchers quiet & divided the country.
    He’s the bloke who set in motion the end of the union,that’s ironic for a tory..
    He’s the PM who was to weak to get a good deal for the UK from the EU.
    I think he’s the worst PM we’ve been lumbered with.
    Here’s hoping we also see the back of his Bullingdon club chums..
    Good Riddance!!

mefty
    Free Member

you do realise where the pigs head story came from don’t you?

You know the source?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

No-one’s suggested he’s God you know…

I thought that was teflon Tony?

Tom-B
    Free Member

thm please enlighten me…..

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, aside from the biggest public spending squeeze, worst state of the NHS, poorest provision of public services, most unreasonable squeeze on immigration, increasing university fees to their highest ever level, forcing the disabled back to work, overseeing the first doctor’s strikes in 40 years, increasing the gap between the poor and rich massively, leaving the EU and generally shafting the country I don’t think he’s left much of a legacy that half a century of grief, struggle and hard work won’t fix.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Given the issues and crises that he’s presided over and failed to resolve, I suspect that Cameron will be ranked alongside the likes of Eden and Chamberlain. Unlike the latter, he will be alive for some considerable time yet, so for decades ahead he’ll read about his premiership being described in very uncomplimentary terms.

Either that or he’ll be regarded as some sort of Julius Ceaser type character, if he’s lucky.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crickey munrobiker, one some of those actually stand up to scrutiny

Mefty, 😉 as Ms Oakeshott knows only too well, the source was flakey indeed. Her backtracking on the story makes the BSers backtracking look amateur!

mrmo
    Free Member

from

Greenest Government Ever

to

get rid of all the green crap

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crickey PMQs covered across multiple channels – BBC1, ITV, Ch4 before we get on to digital!!

dragon
    Free Member

End of the day his legacy will be ok but unspectacular. He sure isn’t the worst PM by a long, long way.

He’s the bloke who set in motion the end of the union,that’s ironic for a tory..

1) It don’t believe it will happen but we shall see.

2) if it does then Blair takes a lot of credit for giving the SNP a platform by devolving power and then taking us into the Iraq war which no one wanted and is now destroying the Labour party.

jimdubleyou

When was the last time we had a “good” Prime Minister that actually achieved their stated aims?

I can’t remember one.

Coyote
    Free Member

Who’s the loser in that photo?

Not entirely sure but I think it’s David Cameron.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

mrmo
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member
    When was the last time we had a “good” Prime Minister that actually achieved their stated aims?

I can’t remember one.

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Slightly OT, but i think this is the real issue in the UK, and Brexit isn’t the solution. It might mean politicians have one less excuse, but was the UK really a wonderful place in the 70’s?

stewartc
    Free Member

Thought he did OK on how we dealt with the immigration issue relating to Syria (putting money into the camps not encouraging reckless immigration), put his career on the line in regards to the referendum (a key part of his election pledge and the only opportunity the UK people had to voice their thoughts on the EU as all main parties were pro) and putting military action to the vote instead of arbitrarily going gung ho.
    Otherwise a bit meh, the UK has had worse PM’s.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

PMQ is quite amusing

avdave2

you do realise where the pigs head story came from don’t you?

You know the source?

The horse’s mouth?

gordimhor

PMQ is no different today from any other occasion, particularly since Corbyn became Labour leader, a noisy opportunity for the boastful Cameron to play to his gallery and to avoid actually addressing any issues. It’s Shakespearean full of sound and fury .

Rockape63
    Free Member

PMQ is no different today from any other occasion,

Only to bitter and twisted people like you!

matt_outandabout

PMQ is quite amusing

It was indeed. Radio Scotland ran it in full it seems…

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

I think he’s been a pretty good PM given he’s held the role through a period of unprecedented economic turmoil.

Things I’d call out as successes during his tenure:

– The UK has overtaken France to become the 5th biggest economy
    – More new jobs created in the UK than in the rest of Europe put together
    – A record number of working adults
    – Started a very long overdue of welfare, albeit spending is now higher than it was despite “austerity”
    – Managed to convince the country we’ve had austerity when the opposite is true
    – Strengthened rights for same sex couples and despite significant resistance from his own party
    – Led the UK’s first coalition government – and for 4 years and 6 months longer than most “experts” predicted
    – Crime is down
    – Spending on healthcare rose in real terms – the “ringfence” commitment was held.
    – The reduction in the size of local government / quangos hasn’t resulted in the sky falling in yet.
    – Honoured his commitment to abide by the will on parliament on military action in Syria even when this commitment was abused by shameless cheap politics by Ed Milliband
    – His wife have up her business interests when he took power and maintained a dignified / low profile throughout – in stark contrast to Cherie Blair

He also took a pay cut at the start and waived his right to the Prime Ministerial pension which is worth £65K a year from the point he leaves office.

All in all not a bad job – and for that he’s had to put up with frankly disgusting baseless stories like the Pigs head that his political peers have used with abandon even when they know the story to be untrue.

spekkie
    Free Member

Just heard a nice speech on the radio. I assume it was his outgoing speech.

tomhoward

I particularly enjoyed the ‘Give my regards you your mum’ comment from Corbyn…

BoardinBob

Was having a think about this last night.

Given the economic mess the conservatives had to deal with, and the subsequent criticism of austerity as the solution, what would labour have done if they had been in power, and would we be in a better or worse state (ignoring Brexit)?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What time is the firing squad?

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

the same sex marriage act gets a big thumbs up from me.

So that’s what they do on their wedding night…

kimbers

Not much to shout about
    His pledge to be more Blair than Blair rings pretty true, hes pretty much continued the work of New Labour…
    Accademies, privatsiing the NHS, hes pummled the poorest hadrest to try and keep his core vote happy, paving the way for the demogogues to blame immigration and brussles for their dire economic prospects, same sex marriage was a nod to his compassionate conservatism 😉

It really doesnt matter though

his legacy is his utter failure to put to bed the Tory party’s internal division over the EU, has helped divide the nation and plunge us into yet more economic uncertainty, when we’d never really recovered from the 2008 crash.

Ultimately hes one of historys biggest Losers

cranberry
    Free Member

With “I was the future once” he showed class, the pissy faced SNP woman showed that class can’t be taken for granted.

lunge

I think he’s done OK on number of issues. But, he will be judged, like Blair and Iraq, on just 1, Brexit. Now, there are a lot of people out there who will see this as a big positive, not me, but there are some and in those quarters he could be seen very positively indeed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘So it's Daves last day at the office’ is closed to new replies.