Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • So it looks like 10 speed really is on the way
  • clubber
    Free Member

World First! SRAM X-7 Goes Ten Speed

SRAM X7 goes 10 speed which as the article suggests means that X9 and X0 will too.

I guess that Shimano must be thinking about it too – presumably SLX, XT and XTR to compete with the relevant SRAM ranges (I know – please don't post any links that'll get this thread closed…)

Good news I reckon. 1×10 (11-36) may well be feasible for me once I'm a bit fitter again.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Looking forward to picking up lots of cheap 9 speed bits in the classifieds shortly.

njee20
    Free Member

Keep up, there's already a thread relating to the story, and it's been common knowledge for a while that XTR, XT and SLX are changing for next year.

clubber
    Free Member

Shhhh… that's just rumour njee…

zaskar
    Free Member

Wondering about the casette range!

I'm happy using 9sp and the middle ring for hills on commutes with luggage. Even used the granny ring on uber climbs with 20kg laden but reckon with time+fitness should be fine.

But on the mtb or roadbike I'm happy with the middle for hills and 10sp.

Thing is not everyone is! some are not fit or have injuries etc.

So will we have 38T on the back???

clubber
    Free Member

That's where you use a double!

njee20
    Free Member

No, there'll be 36s on the back, which combined with a double will give virtually the same range as a 3×9 with an 11-32.

If this gets pulled it's faintly ridiculous, the info's all out there. I won't link to it, but check the sort of forums frequented by weight conscious for lots of info.

In 1999 Shimano went 9 speed with XTR, XT and LX all at the same time, so it makes sense they'll do all 3 groups again for 2011.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Not wishing to sound like a troll, but does anyone (other than racers I guess) actually want/need 10 speed? Serious question, maybe I'm missing something here?

njee20
    Free Member

A number of people seem to want it, need it? Of course not, but we don't need bikes.

kimbers

i want it so i can drop my front derailier stick on a chain device and have one less thing to worry about maintaining and or breaking on my bike

zaskar
    Free Member

At least front mechs will be easier to position with just 2 rings lol

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

i want it so i can drop my front derailier stick on a chain device and have one less thing to worry about maintaining and or breaking on my bike

But you can do the same with 9spd…granted 1×10 would be slightly better, but if you're not 1×9 now i dont see the massive need.

BigDummy
    Free Member

need it? Of course not, but we don't need bikes

I do really, otherwise I'd spend a lot of time walking. The thing is, I used to have a bike with 21 gears which worked really well. Then I had one with 24 gears, which was OK too. Then I ended up with one with 27 gears which was worse in every way except for racing on, and was considerably more expensive. Now I'm going to end up with one which has 20 gears which are as good for racing on as the 27 were but which are in all other respects a total ball-ache. And it's going to cost even more.

I don't want to turn into sfb, but from the point of view of the enthusiast rather than the racer it's tricky seeing real advantages, but SLX (which is hardly a race-head's groupset) will be converted, ye say. 🙂

kimbers

But you can do the same with 9spd…granted 1×10 would be slightly better, but if you're not 1×9 now i dont see the massive need

well i run 1×9 on my commuter and im surprised how versatile it is
    its improved my fitness too!
    11-32 with a 44 tooth ring

and 36t 12-32 on my dh bike

my do it all bike is 2×9 24/34 x 11-32

but i reckon a 12-36 with a 36 up front could be 'the schnizzle' for off road stuff

tho 11-36 would be better

Edric64
    Free Member

I hope 7 speed stuff will still be available as it clogs less.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

well i run 1×9 on my commuter and im surprised how versatile it is
    its improved my fitness too!
    11-32 with a 44 tooth ring

but i reckon a 12-36 with a 36 up front could be 'the schnizzle' for off road stuff
    Yeah, 1×9 surprised me too, versatile and i only have to think about one shifter!
    Im just about to go to a 11-34 with 34 front. The 11t is useful and gives a higher gear than the 12t and 36 front.

oldgit
    Free Member

I'd be happy to go to 2X10. The 2X9 from Middleburn was a mare to shift but IIRC it was something like 46/26?

For my riding the granny is redundant and the outer is only used on fields, fire roads and tarmac. Plus I race.
    I'll probably try and phase 10 speed in.
    Looks like my lad will inherit some nice XT and XTR.

njee20
    Free Member

Then I ended up with one with 27 gears which was worse in every way except for racing on

In what way was it better for racing? And in what way was it worse in every other aspect?

And what will make 2×10 'more of a ball ache'?

I run 2×9 on my hardtail, 28/40 with an 11-34, which pretty closely replicates the FS with 2×10: 28/42 with 11-36. Big/big is a bit smoother on the hardtail, smaller sprockets so less of an angle with the chain.

10 speed may bring double set ups to more people, but frankly if you already run/ran an XC orientated double (ie not 22/34/bash) then you're not really gaining much.

Sancho
    Free Member

id be happy with 7 speed 2 x 7 with a quality light weight set up, i dont need all the ratios i have and find I have to double or triple shift when riding, so I may seem like a grumpy old git but I dont want 10 speed mtb kit.
    Im happy with it on the road bike mind.

fontmoss
    Free Member

nope you're all wrong. one gear is the future. No need to shift and counter shift, light weight system and minimal maintenance, what's not to like?

Northwind

"Not wishing to sound like a troll, but does anyone (other than racers I guess) actually want/need 10 speed?"

As long as it comes with a 36-11 cassette, I'll be all over it i think. Though I'd sooner have a 36-11 9-speed cassette. Either way I'd use it to hike up the front rings without losing the lower gear, lovely.

bigrich

i think its mostly designed to get people to buy new groupsets by dangling the carrot of betterness

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

bugger, that means alivio will be going 9 speed. Where am I going to be able to get 8 speed stuff from?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I run an 11-34 cassette. Not sure 11-36 is going to bring me any real advantage. Certainly not enough of an advantage to throw away the granny ring.

I'll stick with 22-34 as a bottom gear thanks. I like the chanllenge of trying to ride up stuff that would be quicker to walk.

Maybe I'll run the 10 speed 11-36 with a triple when stuff needs changing but I'm not going to rush out and buy it now. In fact, I'm going to start saving now so I can buy cheap 9 speed XTR shifters and Xt cassettes!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

2×10 might be a bit better range than 2×9 which I have on both my MTBs. I might even consider going 1×10 with a guide instead of a front derailler.

ourmaninthenorth

What BD said.

And it's interesting that lots of cross racers still prefer 8sp for the robustness of chains over 9sp and especially 10sp.

I think I've just turned into an old curmudgeon.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"one gear is the future…. what's not to like?"

hills?

Northwind

"one gear is the future. No need to shift and counter shift"

Just as much need, just without the ability to meet the need.

alpin
    Free Member

#
    njee20 – Member

No, there'll be 36s on the back, which combined with a double will give virtually the same range as a 3×9 with an 11-32.

then just leave it as it is. i run 2×9. if i were to run 2×10 i'd get an extra TWO gears. that'll make the world of difference!

pedalhead – Member

Not wishing to sound like a troll, but does anyone (other than racers I guess) actually want/need 10 speed? Serious question, maybe I'm missing something here?

i don't. i question the need for 9 speed when i see my mate on his old rusty GT with 2×7….

is more always better?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Isn't Stan of no tubes fame playing around with a 6 speed rear wheel so it cane be dishless with fewer spokes? He seems to think less is more.

avdave2

1 x 14 here but reckon 14 X 1 would be even better.

I_Ache
    Free Member

That means I should be able to go for a 34t front ring and an 11-36 to replace my 32 and 11-? 1×9 and still manage to get up the hills while being faster going back down them.

I just hope it arrives before my current drivetrain dies.

Oh and does anybody have any idea if a 9spd mech will work with 10spd shifters/cassette/chain? It used to work when I had a 8spd mech and the rest was 9spd or is 10spd to precise?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bigrich – Member

i think its mostly designed to get people to buy new groupsets by dangling the carrot of betterness

Is the correct answer, Its all about increasing sales by increasing need and I would be prepared to bet its all incompatible with existing stuff

Ti29er
    Free Member

Don't forget Shimonao have a new rear casette: 12-36, partly in response of the 29er evolution.

Personally, I think it looks like a very good, logical evolution of the whole 3-9 set up we mostly have at present.
    I assume the chains might be a little narrower (?) & therefore lighter (?).

TJ – that's how businesses make money afterall (nothing wrong with that at all) & it'll sell like proverbial hot cakes!

oldgit
    Free Member

This is a racers set up isn't it? I said I'd get away with it for my local stuff, but I'm not sure how usefull it would be for 'all' my mountainbiking.
    And there's almost a sense here of adapting your riding to suit the kit.
    Needs a good looking at I think, so in the meantime I'll tinker with cassettes and continue to swap between a Ultegra and XT cassettes.

ahwiles
    Free Member

this is bad news.

everytime they squeeze another cog in the back, it means more time fiddling around with cable tension trying to keep them in sync.

(more cogs in the same space means less room for error).

i really don't see how this improves anything for anyone, it's just getting silly now, like 5 bladed razors…

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Any news on an XT double yet? Dunno if i can stretch to the XTR unit!
    Thanx Max

angryratio
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I quite like the idea, although

8speed – chain and cassette easily 'lasted' a year

9speed – chain and cassette barely 'lasted' a year

With 10s Im actualy going to have to take shares out in chain companies and replace them every few months because persumably 10s cassettes with their spiderless design arent going to be as cheep so can't just run them into the ground for 12 months.

Presumably deore is staying 9 speed?

clubber
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I would be prepared to bet its all incompatible with existing stuff

I'll take that bet up – tenner?

Shimano road 10 speed is all back compatible (except for the very latest Dura Ace and possibly Ultegra due to different cable pull) – eg 10 speed cassette fits on a 9 speed wheel and the chain works with 9 speed chainsets and the rear mech is the same.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘So it looks like 10 speed really is on the way’ is closed to new replies.