Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • So is this the start of the next recesion ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

My shares are down 12% in one day… end of the world ?

z1ppy

Did we every offically finish the last?
    Pure bloody greed i say… wanting another recession without finishing the 1st….

randomjeremy
    Free Member

BUY GUNS AND BEANS

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

GUNS AND BULLETS WOULD BE BETTER ADVICE

santacoops
    Free Member

Its all going to go to sh!t, the only survivors will be the bivvy heads as they have all the kit!

Northwind

It’s only money, it’s not like it’s wealth or value or anything.

Dobbo

randomjeremy
    Free Member

It’s all part of a global Illuminati conspiracy to make the baby boomers work until they’re 90 I tells ye

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yes

bikebouy
    Free Member

“We’re all doomed I say, all doomed”

Taff
    Free Member

We never left the last one so no it’s another dip

j_me
    Free Member

Are share prices linked to recession?

bikebouy
    Free Member

More to the point, did you post “ohhh look my share price has gone up”??

Only asking like.

Swings n roundabouts.

chugg08

If you listen to pessimistic Peston we’re doomed (again)

I’m certainly no financial whiz, but as bikebuoy says its all Swings n roundabouts. If you have the cash, buy index linked now, sell when it hits 5,900 again (in about a year), make 12%+ back

…or alternatively use the cash to get some new bling for your bike and go out and ride.

Which one will make you smile more? 🙄

simonm
    Free Member

Which one will make you smile more?

jus riding really.

uplink
    Free Member

We’re all in this together so we’re all feeling each other’s pain 🙂

Shares?
    I got rid of them all a couple of years ago when I realised they were causing more anxiety than they were ever likely to repay in added value/worth

noteeth
    Free Member

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
    Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;
    Little we see in Nature that is ours;
    We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!

Stoner
    Free Member

My shares are down 12% in one day

shonky portfolio composition I’d say…

FTSE 100
    5,315.60 -77.54 (-1.44%)

FTSE 250
    10,441.10 -129.54 (-1.23%)

FTSE All Share
    2,760.29 -42.22 (-1.51%)

TheFlyingOx

Kent Brockman: “Professor, without knowing precisely what the issue is, would you say it’s time for the STWers to crack each other’s heads open and feast on the goo inside?”

Professor: “Yes I would, Kent.”

toby1

AND there’s a typhoon about to hit China, *starts humming it’s the end of the world as we know it and hoping watching lots of post-apocalypse TV shows pays off*

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

. . . . was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

. . . . . . . . . . . hell no . . . . . . . . . . who’s with me . . . . . . . . charrrrgggggggggge!! 😀

GHill

was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I’m going to assume that’s a clever reference I didn’t get and save us all some time/pain.

simonm
    Free Member

no, its a straight quote from Animal house

simonm
    Free Member

Belushi

simonm
    Free Member

My shares are down 12% in one day

OK, maybe an over exageration at 12%… still its 3% now and dropping quick towards close… 3% is still a pretty Mahooosive amount of value isnt it ?

FTSE ALL-SHARE
    2,731.43 -71.08 (-2.54%)

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Well it certainly feels like panic.

It feels very much like 08 except the market now knows that central govts cant prop it up for ever…. they have no ammo left.

What’s the US going to do… QE3/4/5? Good one thats worked well so far.

Same here in the UK, interest rate at rock bottom what other tools can they use.

And as for Euroland… they are all of on hols for august, great.

Makes for an interesting in day though, especially when you do OK 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

Is this the start of the next recession?

In the UK….no.

There is a HUGE amount of uncertainty in the markets at the moment.

USD – 11th hour avoidance of default doesn’t really mean much. They are still on the brink. S&P and Moody’s reckon downgrade is likely by end of year.

EUR – position is clear as mud. Trichet speaks in riddles, but what we do know is that investors have lost confidence in EUR and it won’t be restored until there is some stability

JPY – seen as a safe haven for investors. As a result of USD and EUR troubles, JPY became even more overbought than usual. BoJ have been bricking themselves for some time and were already considering intervening. They now have (bought LOADS of USD and will flood market with JPY) as a kneejerk reaction to the Swiss getting in there first. However, the markets have already worked their way back to pre-intervention levels because, quite frankly, it’s still safer than USD and EUR at the moment.

CHF – similar to JPY, but the Swiss took relatively shock intervention. Concerned that CHF was massively overvalued (which it was), they’ve taken steps to correct it. But, as with JPY, investors are still finding a safe haven in CHF and the intervention hasn’t made a blind bit of difference.

GBP – bit of a non entity really in comparison to EUR/USD/JPY/CHF. Will take a bit of a beating against JPY and CHF, but no more than usual.

Most interesting thing today has been the NFP news from the US. Normally the biggest monthly market mover. But today, even though the news was better than expected, USD is still dropping.

Basically, MASSIVE uncertainity in the majority of markets is causing investors (government, insitutional, private) to go a bit nuts. Hence the markets are all over the place.

It happens fairly regularly (although not generally with so many events so close together), and is almost a “natural” correction.

But the bottom line is, IMO, this is not the start of a second recession in the UK. It’s the market correcting itself from an overvalued position in light of people actually realising that it was overvalued and traditional safe havens are no longer as attractive.

Shares are pointless IMO, unless you get given them by your employer. They are a bit like houses, you only make money if they appreciate.

One thing that markets always do (particularly on a smaller timeframe) is go up, and then down, and then up, and then down, and then up….forever and ever.

Trade forex. $4 trillion traded every day.

I made a killing today without lifting a finger while everyone holding shares has just resigned themselves to the fact that they’ve now got to hold them for another 6-12 months just to make back the value lost in the last week.

😆

simonm
    Free Member

nice…you should do this for a living !

grum
    Free Member

Can I just please have a good exchange rate against the Euro in time for my holiday?

To the OP – boohoo, my heart bleeds 😛

peterfile
    Free Member

USD – 11th hour avoidance of default doesn’t really mean much. They are still on the brink. S&P and Moody’s reckon downgrade is likely by end of year.

Wow. That was quick! S&P have downgraded to AA+ a few hours ago. Bloomberg news report

I genuinely didn’t think they would get in there that quickly.

S&P and Moody’s ratings aren’t gospel, but LOTS of people do pay attention to them. A bit like The Times university league tables. You might not agree with how they arrive at the result, but you’d still be unlikely to attend one of the universities they list in 200th place!

This article is quite clear/simple at highlighting the main effects that may occur as a result of a downgrade (I don’t mean that you guys would have trouble understanding it if it wasn’t simple though, it’s just that the mechanical effects on the market are actually quite hard to get your head round, this article just sets out the “real world” effects)

US downgrade – 5 effects

This is a significant issue for anyone with open currency positions at the moment. Forex market is closed from late on Friday night until the Asian session on Sunday night. What that means is that the market will “gap” (where the price it opens at will be have a gap between where it left off on Friday night). This isn’t uncommon, but there’s nothing you can do about it. If you were shorting USD, you’re laughing, you’ll make an absolute killing. If you were long in USD/JPY or USD/CHF in particular (which quite frankly was a silly thing to do right now anyway) you’ll lose some serious wedge on Sunday night unless you had some stop losses in place.

I’m long GBP/USD, which means I should wake up on Monday morning with some lovely, and rather unexpected gains. But not quite as much as if I was in CHF or JPY.

Happy trading!

kaesae
    Free Member

Let’s face it, the philosophy of me! Me! ME! doesn’t work, we have tried fighting amongst ourselves over everything and nothing.

Maybe it’s time we found a way to work together and sort this shit out ❓ that said I’m of to make the most of what ever freetime I can beg, steal or borrow 😀

hh45
    Free Member

IMO – Yes. This last week has felt like October 2008 that is quite scary. Sadly I think we have all been suspending disbelief these last ten years. How did we kid ourselves the economy could be so good and that if if it went wrong then a Keynsian dollop of taxpayer money would right it? Debt is debt and has to be paid back. It’s going to be a long and slow few years I expect.

KT1973
    Free Member

randomjeremy – Member
    BUY GUNS AND BEANS

Posted 18 hours ago # BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    GUNS AND BULLETS WOULD BE BETTER ADVICE

Better still, buy Guns ‘n’ Roses and ROCK THE $H!T OUTTA THIS RECESSION!!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

peterfile – Member

Is this the start of the next recession?

In the UK….no.

That’s quite a prediction – I had no idea that economics was, despite Karl Marx’s assertions, so predictable. It makes you wonder why the last US administration, even though it had access to probably more Harvard trained economists than any other government in the world, was unable to predict the credit crunch and was forced to take such spectacular panic measures in response.

donsimon
    Free Member

I concur.

It makes you wonder why the last US administration, even though it had access to probably more Harvard trained economists than any other government in the world, was unable to predict the credit crunch and was forced to take such spectacular panic measures in response.

Two responses to that, either they did and chose not to do anything or the banks were lying?

peterfile
    Free Member

That’s quite a prediction – I had no idea that economics was, despite Karl Marx’s assertions, so predictable. It makes you wonder why the last US administration, even though it had access to probably more Harvard trained economists than any other government in the world, was unable to predict the credit crunch and was forced to take such spectacular panic measures in response.

I try not to read too much into the tone of posts on the interweb because it’s easy to misread, but I think your post was basically saying “if the experts can’t predict it, why do you think you can?”.

Nothing is certain, my prediction (like everyone elses) is pure speculation. That’s how the markets move. I wasn’t trying to assert fact, that’s impossible.

USD and EUR losing value, JPY and Swiss intervention, FTSE 100 losing value…..isn’t (in MY opinion) the signal the start of another recession in the UK.

It’s certainly an indication that there may be trouble ahead, but I’ve watched pretty much every market on earth lose value a number of times, and it doesn’t always mean that a recession is looming in the UK.

I’d say there’s about a 50% chance i’m right 😉

grantway
    Free Member

Never been out of recession just been avoided.

Interesting one will be what country goes Bankrupt first.
    As no one has anymore money to give out and support others
    and hopefully be the end of the Euro dream.

totalshell

never been out of recession in rochdale.

donsimon
    Free Member

and hopefully be the end of the Euro dream in its current form.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the €uro and the €urozone, the problem is the lack of common fiscal policy that is the problem. How can it be possible for a litre of diesel to cost €1,25 in Spain and €1,45 in France? Who in their right mind thinks that raising the raising interest rates to curb inflation in Germany is going to help Spain?
    The €uro has helped develop economies but now is destroying them, all in my uneducated opinion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So is this the start of the next recesion ?’ is closed to new replies.