Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So is the Snow Stud really just a road tyre then?
  • Northwind

Tried my Schwalbe Snow Stud offroad for the first time today, and it had almost no redeeming features Studs generally don’t touch the ground except when cornering unless you run really low pressures- too low for offroad use. And it’s worse at snow than any mud tyre I’ve used. I originally got it for the commuter, is that actually all it’s supposed to be for?

Got an ice spiker on the way anyway, looks like I might make that 2 ice spikers but I’d figured the snow stud would work on the back of an mtb.

druidh
    Free Member

I reckon the Conti Spike Claw is a better compromise for on/off road use.

The problem with snow is that it’s all so variable. I reckon they probably work well in countries where it is colder and the snow has a harder consistency. It all gets so wet over here that it tends to stick to the tyres.

If you want to try the Contis, let me know. I’ll mostly be Fatbiking this winter so I shouldn’t need them. I have the 120-spike version (none down the centre).

imnotverygood

Are you sure the studs aren’t touching the ground? At 30psi they are definitely hitting the road at that pressure. Having said that, I think it is more of a commuter tyre although I have used it off roads & I thought it was ok. As druidh says, it partly depends on the type of snow.

zilog6128

So is the Snow Stud really just a road tyre then?

It is the cheapo option! Ice Spiker Evo is where it’s at.

druidh
    Free Member

From the description on the Schwalbe page for Snow Studs….

SNOW STUD
    The Perfect winter tyre. The spikes are not on the tread centre, but arranged on the sides, in the area of greatest contact pressure. When properly inflated it can be used under normal, ice and snow free, road conditions. By lowering the air pressure the tyre gains optimum grip on icy roads.

Northwind

Yeah, I can see that- might well work better in harder packed snow, today was almost all soft or fairly slushy (though mostly still riding on snow rather than just cutting through it to the ground under, as sometimes happens).

It’s listed as an mtb tyre on the Schwalbe website so I’d kind of assumed it’d do an mtb job but then it’s reasonable for it to be a “When you commute on the mtb because it’s a bit iffy” mtb tyre I reckon- I’ll keep using it for that.

Thanks for the offer on the Contis- I’ll pass for now but much appreciated. I’ll see how I get on with the ice spiker.

I got some use from the studs and was quite impressed by that when it happened, but definately not touching the ice most of the time- spun up like any other. Got them to touch down by dropping a lot lower, maybe 20-ish, but was going to flat in no time like that.

Was quite deflated! I started the day all smug, then got to watch my mate just getting on with business on his barons 😆 The swine.

bigjim

Ah I thought that might have been you, I passed you on my way to the red as you were climbing to the black. My ex gf has those tyres on her commuting bike for on-road use. I think the problem today was the snow was soft and wet and just too slippery. I was all over the place on worn high rollers!

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve got 1.6″ conti Nordic ice 240 for the 29er I figured the thinner tyre would also help in soft snow but not had chance to try them yet

Northwind

bigjim – Member

Ah I thought that might have been you, I passed you on my way to the red as you were climbing to the black.

Ah hello! Yep, I was the Soda. We’d spotted your highroller tracks earlier as the only marks going out to the black and saluted you- boundary trail was pretty nice but we ended up slogging back in to the red after that.

Sanny
    Free Member

For ice, more studs = better! 😀 I run the Conti Nordic 240s on my cross bike and they are great. I ran a 120 on the back previously but the reducing tyre pressure thing is a faff and I don’t like changing punctures in the cold if I can avoid it. I’ve been able to ride uphill on sheet ice when folk haven’t been able to walk. They really are that good.

Last winter, I ran a set of Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros on the MTB – they live up to expectations though the stud loss rate on them is a fair bit higher than on the Conti’s. I had an issue with mine earlier in the year but fair play to Schwalbe, they gave me a brand new set of replacement tyres so I’ll happily big them up.

Ice tyres make a huge difference in my book. If you’re buying them, I’d recommend going for the maximum number of spikes you can afford. Weight isn’t really an issue compared to riding like an uptight jessie and being scared of falling down hard on the ice. You’ll be a lot faster with the spike tyres despite the weight penalty.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Anyone seen any good deals on 26″ spiked tyres for the road commute? They’re all pretty expensive. I’ve seen all the diy threads, but do diy spiked tyres have any longevity?

zilog6128

I’d recommend going for the maximum number of spikes you can afford. Weight isn’t really an issue

In fact with the Schwalbe tyres, the Ice Spiker is only 15g more than the Snow Stud (despite having considerably more spikes) and the Ice Spiker Pro which has even more spikes actually weighs less. You get what you pay for!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ive got 120 spiked conti claws , not worth the tungsten thats in em all that happens is you lean lean lean and by the time the studs grip you have too much momentum that they just slide across the ice and you hit the deck 🙂

Also got 240 spiked winter marthons – total peach of a tire. On road , off road …. Ok its no minion but it handles predictably in snow and ice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So is the Snow Stud really just a road tyre then?’ is closed to new replies.