Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • So…. Is 29+ dead already??
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Just been browsing.as you do. I MAY have been looking at semi fat trail riding bike packing kind of things suitable for days out short blasts or longer jaunts.

I was looking at the surly krampus (though the braze ons on the ecr are great) as it seems to fit the bill. But then so many bikes now seem to be 27.5+. Such as the bargaintastic looking marin pine mountain 1 due out soon

But is it just a case of it being an easier option as The 27.5+ fit in general most 29er frames of existing users and it also makes it easier for designers

Or is there a valid reason why the 27.5+ seem to be the new big thing with the 29er+ falling by the wayside

nemesis
    Free Member

Well, 650b is the perfect compromise so b+ is obviously perfect for plus sizes too..

kelvin

Seen ONE 29+ out in the real world, and it looked fantastic it must be said.

The fact that 275plus bikes can also take 29 wheels is such a great bonus though, hard to ignore that.

Northwind

29+ is always going to be a niche within a niche but I can’t see it dying off. I don’t think it’s really a direct competitor to 650b+ any more than it is to fat bikes, mind, they all hit different marks.

eddie11
    Free Member

I really don’t know. I think brand managers have ADHD these days. The race to have the next new thing is so quick that the last new thing becomes obselete before they’ve moved into mass production. [/old man mode]
    I’m yet to see a proper 27.5+ tho. They all seem to be running wtb 2.8 tyres which the Internet seems to think is nothing more than every other mftrs 2.4.

scotroutes

A 29 x 3″ tyre is a pretty tall beast so the market is really quite limited. Hardtails (given the need for under-saddle suspension clearance) and the taller rider. Look at a 29+ hardtail that’s been built for a shorter rider (say less than 5’8″) and it looks completely out of proportion.

650+/27.5+/B+ therefore suits more riders, can also take a 29 wheel and can be built as a full-suspension model with still a decent amount of travel.

I my case (5’7″) the need for under-saddle luggage space always ruled out the 29+ option. Hence I now have a lovely B+ frame to drool over build up.

I reckon there will always be a 29+ market but it will be quite niche in comparison to B+.

jameso

^ this is about it, it’s a packaging issue. If you’re tall enough to make it all fit in the bigger 29+ wheel will roll a little better when loaded up. Carrying speed or rolling efficiently with 20-odd lbs strapped to the bike makes the high-volume tyre cush and as large an outside diameter you can get worthwhile. I think B+ is more common now because bikepacking concerns are a niche thing compared to making a fun trail bike.

firestarter
    Free Member

Best I stop looking at that marin due out before I accidentally put a deposit on one lol

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I hope not, I’m awaiting my new bike at the minute!

But with the amount of R&D wtrek (usa’s biggest bike brand) has put into the new stache, I doubt it very much…..

firestarter
    Free Member

The luggage thing makes sense tbh

takisawa2

My mate knows a thing or two, & is bloody good on a bike. He’s just bought a Stache. His Highball got sold a week later. He reckons it’s simply brilliant.

Me, well I tried a Krampus & it’s good, but the plain cro mo frame set felt a bit…well, felt a bit dead, if that makes any sense. The 29+ concept is great, but I think after all the bally hoo of the Krampus launch it seemed an age till anyone actually got one, & they built pyramids quicker than they launched a proper mid winter useable 29+ tyre. Did the enthusiasm wain a little due to that ?
    The ECR is a sound option if your lugging kit, they’ve just done a drop bar one (Surly/Salsa…?)…

27.5+ was always going to appeal more, as it fits most 29er.
    I’m running 29+/27.5+ on my 29er, & it’s simply spot on for me.

To the 2.8″ is same as 2.4″, yes in terms of width, but there’s a heck of a lot more volume in the height of the 2.8. Plus, the temptation is to just chuck a 2.8 on any rim, but what you get is a teardrop shaped profile that squirms a bit if really pushing it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve had a Krampus 2 years now, was there a delay coming to market? they showed it at Interbike 12? was available early 13?

Dirt Wizard almost became a running joke

more tyre manufacturers on board now, Manitou making a sus fork(s)

sure aint dead, never been massive though 650b+ has had a bigger push behind it though

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh my…..how have I never seen stooge????

johnnystorm

650b+ is obviously more popular as the same old bikes can be punted out with different wheels and it’s “new”. 29+ would require a bit of thought and R&D and time is money.

bonesetter
    Free Member

firestarter – Member
    Oh my…..how have I never seen stooge????

What’s the underside of that rock look like? 🙂

dovebiker

I built a custom rigid titanium 29+ 2 years ago – even at 5’4″ I’ve no problems dealing with the big wheels – it’s the fastest-rolling MTB I’ve ridden. Takes a bit of getting used-to in the twisties, but once up to speed, it really rocks. Ride it in my local XC races and get comments like “a bike that bike shouldn’t go that fast” – I’ve had people riding duallies crash on the loose and rooty stuff because they don’t appreciate how much more grip I’ve got – running the Knards tubeless at 8/10psi. Knards are less good in really muddy conditions, but then I take my 5″-tyred fatbike out to play…

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve been paying no interest in mtbs for a couple of years tbh bonesetter as I’ve got a cx/tourer but I’ve just moved to a new station at work and a few of them have mtbs so I’ve been having a look as I’d not keep up with them if I went for a ride on my 95 ss cindercone 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Hence I now have a lovely B+ frame to drool over build up.

Whattizzit?

wiggles
    Free Member

This is why I choose B+ bike over the trek, just the general lack of parts and tyres compared to loads of new B+ stuff.

Also the fact I can run 29″ (if I want to) without needing longer forks or screwing up the geo

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Hopefully it isn’t, my Travers Rudy Fat will be here soon!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Look at a 29+ hardtail that’s been built for a shorter rider (say less than 5’8″) and it looks completely out of proportion.

5′ 7.5″ here, I don’t agree

As mentioned above, on Knards it rolls for every

JohnClimber
    Free Member

hummerlicious – Member

Hopefully it isn’t, my Travers Rudy Fat will be here soon!

See photo above, 3600+ miles in and loving it

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Sweet, I can’t wait! I’ve got a mid november delivery date….

What’s it like with a Rohloff? I’ve never used one. I’m going 2 x 10 to start off with, but may consider one when all that wears out

scotroutes

RD, it’s this

somafunk

That looks very nice scotroutes, what is it?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I appreciate it’s no volume, but Jeff Jones is plugging steadily away at 29+.

And that Salsa Deadwood looks too good not to get a bit of traction.

rOcKeTdOg

Scotroutes, travers?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

hummerlicious – Member

Sweet, I can’t wait! I’ve got a mid november delivery date….

What’s it like with a Rohloff? I’ve never used one. I’m going 2 x 10 to start off with, but may consider one when all that wears out

The Rohloff is perfect if you’re lazy like me and CBA’ed cleaning your bike. Just lube the chain when needed with PTFE lube and brush the dust/mud off when you have time.
    It makes the back heavier when lifting it over gates but once it’s up to speed you can’t tell it’s there.
    It was set up with a belt drive for 600 miles as a test rig but failed in mud. the chain and cogs that replaced the belt are still going strong 3000 miles and 18 months later with an oil change in the spring.
    So the difference it starting to pay for itself already.
    I’d defiantly have the same again

JohnClimber
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Scotroutes, travers?

Looks like it is

traversbikes
    Free Member

The 29+ is far from dead and is ideal for taller riders. The New Travers Rusty frame will come in 27.5+ S, M and L and 29+ M, L and XL

scotroutes

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Scotroutes, travers?

pact

Looks lovely(and thanks to brant for all the guidance) but the big test will come when I get my act together to build some wheels. That’s for another thread though as this is B+

brant
    Free Member

Cheers. It was a fun one.

rOcKeTdOg

travers rusty = steel?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The 29+ is far from dead and is ideal for taller riders. The New Travers Rusty frame will come in 27.5+ S, M and L and 29+ M, L and XL

It’s good for smaller riders too, I’m only 5’6″ and ride a small Krampus

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why does everyone seem to assume that 27/29 plus is for this “adventure” or “bike packing” trend? coughbullshitcough 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

I was looking for a rigid mtb with a bit more squish than my shand. Ideally a 29er with hub gears with salsa anything cage fork mounts and cheapish.

Think genesis fortitude adventure. But genesis dropped it. So what else? Ah no hub gear but clearance for big tyres if needed/wanted. Oh they’ve dropped that too. New one steel 27.5+ with alu forks. Humph… 🙂

So 29er possibly 27.5+ clearances hub gears and plenty of mounts. But alas cheap. What is there. Other than a used fortitude adventure lol

1-shed
    Free Member

My Krampus will soon be mounting ladies garden this may be an adventure,no bike packing will be involved. Should I start a what tyres thread?

firestarter
    Free Member

I don’t even know what you just said she’d??

MussEd
    Free Member

Mounting a lady garden? Wrong forum bro.

traversbikes
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

travers rusty = steel?

No Titanium, it is replacing the Rudy Fat

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘So…. Is 29+ dead already??’ is closed to new replies.