Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • So I'm tight, I'm building up a budget dh hardtail, how cheap can I go on brakes
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

They will work but deore 596 and later have much better feel probably better to pick up 2nd hand set of those.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I’d probably go secondhand SLX

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Deore…… win most reviewers over .

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Thos ebrakes are fine, plenty power, buy and forget.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Deore,merlin had them on not so long ago for £60 a pair!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

be reet, save the cash for something critical, like stickers

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I have a deore set on now changed over from Formula RX after the back one started playing up – my rubbish knowledge meant I just thought buy a new set. Nowhere near as powerful as the formulas they replaced. Took a while to bed in too. I’d say find a second hand set of formulas (or at least something more powerful seeing as one of mine broke!).

moneytrain81
    Free Member

Deore m615 and chuck some 180 or larger rotors on. Job done. When most reviews say things along the lines of ‘all the brake you will ever really need’, then you know they are good.

Also, being tight is one thing, but being foolish and buying important parts that aren’t adequate to save a few quid is just daft.

nick1962
    Free Member

They look like the newer version of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-brakes-br-m486/rp-prod87334 of which I have two sets and would definitely recommend.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Just remembered there are the 506 which are old style calipers with new style levers, OEM on a lot 2015 bikes. Think they are £40 a set should be worth it.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Just get done Derore M615’s. £65 a pair from Merlin and plenty powerful.

augustuswindsock

I’ve got a front one of those (or similar) and a rear formula oro I’d be happy to let have at a reasonable price kimbers if you’re on a budget?

bombjack
    Free Member

TBH if you don’t care about logos they will be fine. I’ve run a set as spares when my formulas decide to go all Italian on me, and apart from being heavy they are fine. Fit them with big rotors and you’ll be fine.
    I don’t think they are any better or worse in performance than other Shimano discs I’ve tried or owned, they don’t look as nice, but on a beater DH bike does that matter?
    BJ

nickc

With big enough rotors they’ll be fine

deviant
    Free Member

Deore 615, can usually be found for £60 a pair online somewhere.

I wouldn’t save money with poor brakes on a DH bike!….180-203 rotors and they’re plenty good enough.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Everyone is saying fit them.with big rotors they’ll be fine . I’m 15 stone and mine were fine with 160mm rotors. And I’m quite mad on a bike.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Everyone is saying fit them.with big rotors they’ll be fine . I’m 15 stone and mine were fine with 160mm rotors. And I’m quite mad on a bike.

kayla1
    Free Member

DH hardtail? Build it up singlespeed, thereby saving money on the geary bits and buy some Zees!

jonostevens
    Free Member

+1 for Deores. Incredible value for money.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Deores? Yes, but he’s not asking what’s the best value, he’s asking will the Altus brakes be OK.
    Yes. They will. I’ve got a set on my fat bike with 160/180 rotors and they’re perfectly fine. You don’t need anything any better. Just buy some.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Why is everyone assuming deores are better than these?

fooman

£30 for a pair of new Shimano hydro brakes? Win I say.

edhornby

I’m about to get a set for my cargo bike… For that price on a DHer, get them to build the bike to get going and then save up for a new saint on the front

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘So I'm tight, I'm building up a budget dh hardtail, how cheap can I go on brakes’ is closed to new replies.