Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • So I'm thinking of buying a VW T5 (HELP)
  • billysugger
    Free Member

Been to look at one today.

There’s just one major thing putting me off. It’s the 130 bhp trendline but it’s back door badge says 104. All the insurnce companies (10+) I’ve contacted in the last day have asked me to confirm it’s this when I’ve given them the reg, the company who are selling it have the log book on which it says it’s a 130. Thing that makes me a bit suspicious is the salesman telling me they sometimes come from the manufacturer with the wrong badge on. Sounds a bit dodge to me.

There’s a couple of small scratches here and there but it’s a 3 year old van. FVWSH and a 3 month warranty.

Does the salesman’s claim make anyone else suspicious or has anyone else had experience of this?

LoCo
    Free Member

may have been chipped

billysugger
    Free Member

It’s on the log book as 130 and it’s got the 6 speed box tho

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Secondhand replacement door? If the log book and everything else agree I would not worry about the badge.

LoCo
    Free Member

Then that begs the question as to why the rear door was replaced rear end shunt?

billysugger
    Free Member

Yeah I’d thought that. Everything lines up well

petrieboy

Maybe get the engine number and ask VW UK or the the forums? Or get the dealer to confirm in writing and if you find out later it’s not as sold, take it back or get a discount.
    Id say it’s as likely the logbook is wrong as the badge being wrong from the factory.
    Insurance co databases are often wrong – I’ve had my A4 come up as an A6 on some of them.

billysugger
    Free Member

I’d just got out of an old Landy into this and the clutch pedal felt pretty soft. I seem to remember working out of one that felt the same. Being hyrdaulic should this be expected.

I’ve been looking at spending basically 3/4 years savings and I don’t want to buy a lemon. I know there’s no guarantees.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Well, on the basis that they don’t do a 6 speed box on the 4 cylinder 104 engine in T5’s I’d say it’s a 130, could be just as simple as the wrong badge, mine has no badge….

slimjim78
    Free Member

dont buy it?

theres lots of import VW’s which dont always add up and/or have different specs.

salesmen will tell you whatever they can to secure a deal, and theres always another deal to be had elsewhere

billysugger
    Free Member

It is a good price.

Log book says UK car and it’s got a full VWSH.

I know there are others but I’ve been looking for 5/6 months and the only swb 130bhp with mileage this good has tended to be more expensive and sold within a few hours of going online. I tried to view a couple of times to be told the seller had taken a deposit on the van unseen.

I mean who does that!?

billysugger
    Free Member

I think I’m going to go and make an offer for it. Been dwelling for months then when something that looks right comes up I get cold feet. I’ve read somewhere else on this forum there will always be good and bad cars. I’ve done this before and taken the time being thorough only to buy a car that’s had massive unforeseeable failure.

Is there any incentive for making cash sales any more?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Love those motors, wish I had space for one at home. If you don’t mind me asking, what sort of age and how much money required? Also does the extra bhp make much of a difference? Could you not get a remap on the lower power engine??

large418
    Free Member

Have a very good test drive, looking/feeling for any kind of driveline klunk/klonk/knock or shudder – any sign, walk away. Also check the warranty history, as there are good vans and not so good vans.
    My T5 is great, but in 60,000miles has had under warranty:
    turbo
    sliding door lock
    exhaust pressure sensor
    3 x dual mass flywheels (at least one was faulty)
    both driveshafts
    2 x clutch (the 2nd replaced after the dealer damaged the input shaft oil seal)
    rear number plate lamps (first MOT under warranty!)

As I contributed to the last clutch/DMF replacement (total cost £1500), I get a 2 year warranty on those parts – might be worth it!

There are vans out there that have never had anything go wrong, but you need to go in with eyes wide open and don’t be swayed by supply issues or shiny paint.

Also, check out London sellers – next years Low Emission rules might mean that older (Euro 3) vans are going cheap – from what I have been told van drivers inside the M25 might need to be Euro4 (DPF) to evade the Low Emission tax (or something like that – worth looking into)

Also, if your van is a 6 speed (check it is, not just a 6 speed gearknob), then it is a 2.5, and either a 130PS (likely) or 174PS (not likely). 174’s command a real premium, so the seller will be using this.

I love my van – had it 2 years, and it’s a decent camper conversion, but if I hadn’t spent so much time on the insides, I might have swapped for another more reliable van.

billysugger
    Free Member

It’s just over £11k, 56k.

It’s a sweet looking thing.

I’d thought of a chip on a 104 to take it up to 130 but I wanted something I could give an easy life for the next few years and still manage to sell on plus I love 6 gears.

Is your scooby 6 speed? My bro’s just had his tuned by some famous tuner in Kent. Faster than youknowwhat off a very shiny shovel now.

billysugger
    Free Member

Cheers large. Very useful

large418
    Free Member

Oh yes, if you buy it, and it needs tyres, I have a set of good (6mm plus) tyres on steel rims going for not much. Even have wheeltrims!

billysugger
    Free Member

The only other thing is the softness of the clutch. It seems really easy to use but as I said before I’d just got out of a 98 Discovery.

Would you say they are like that in your experience large?

It’s a tricky one because it could have had nothing done under warranty then everything fall off on the way home (exaggerating and I’d be ok because they’re offering 3 months warranty)

The only other thing I’ve seen is an 08 Vito at Evans Halshaw but I’ve owned the previous model and the auto box amonst other things gave me nightmares

large418
    Free Member

Clutch is not a “men with big thighs” type clutch – pressure to operate is similar to a car. When the clutch is let out, any jolts or lack of smoothness then it could end up being expensive with the DMF failing in the future

a11y

Just check it actually does have the 6-speed box and that some nugget hasn’t just fitted a 6-speed gear knob 😆

(I’ve heard of it being done – or urban legend – person who test drove didn’t get above 50mph so didn’t think to stick it into the “6th” ratio)

My T5 is the 130 and it’s worth the extra over a 104 purely for that extra gear ratio: minimises the extra fuel consumption of the 130 over the 104 particularly if you spend a lot of time at higher speeds/revs.

As large418 says they’re very car-like to drive in terms of lightness of controls, etc. Even the LWB model doesn’t require much more thought compared to a car (just a tad wider around sharp corners in town and you’ll be fine).

trail_rat
    Free Member

billy

its night and day between my peugeot partner van and my 87 land rover 90

the 90 is a propper thunderthighs to change gear and the peugeot is lighter – cars are generally even lighter still !

billysugger
    Free Member

a11y I had it in sixth after about 400 yards :-). They’re ace. Set off from snail pace in 3rd.

Made them an offer. He said someone was due to go look at it later (maybe/maybe not) but I wouldn’t be devastated to miss it at the price it is now. It’s right at the top of my budget.

We’ll see.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘So I'm thinking of buying a VW T5 (HELP)’ is closed to new replies.