Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • So I'm going to ask it anyway….
  • Kryton57

Whats faster, 29 inch wheels or 1/2lb weight off my 26er making it 1lb lighter than the 29er, assuming all else is relatively the same…?

(I certainly know which is cheaper. 🙂 )

Hypothetically then (or scientifically if you wish)…?

bikebouy
    Free Member

650b

You are sooooo 2013 😆

Kryton57

bikebouy – Member
    650b

It just so happens that a 650b bike I’ve been looking at that but isn’t the “want” bike is 25% of atm…

maxtorque

The fastest option is just to spend the same amount of money you were going to spend on the bike on training your legs!!

adsh
    Free Member

29er by a factor of many.

It’s not just the extra rolling speed but comfort and (at least in my case) modern geo being SO much more confidence inspiring for cornering and descending. My 26er front wheel responds to input from rider and trail so much it feels nervous. My 29er feels like it’s on rails and allowed me to race for 12hours. I have no way of knowing how I’d have done on my 26″ FS but I would have taken part and got round and tried to survive not raced that’s for sure.

Euro
    Free Member

Just 29 inch wheels or are they part of a bike? And why so hung up on being fast, faster, fastest?

tomhoward

It just so happens that a 650b bike I’ve been looking at that but isn’t the “want” bike is 25% of atm…

Yoo no speaka de inglish?

Kryton57

Euro – I is a racing serious like in 2015…

adsh – and the evidential data to support your factor of many? FWIW, my current bike is 0.5 degree slacker and only 15mm short in the TT than a Anthem Advance 650b, which undoes your Geo argument. And I raced it this year, with success relative to my ability in several different events including a 24hr.

Maxtorque, this is the conclusion I’m coming to very quickly, which is a cost saving healthy alternative…

Euro
    Free Member

What kind of races?

Edit, just seen 24Hr races. Don’t worry about being fasterest, get the one that’s easiest to ride for 24hrs. Bikes don’t win races, guns do (or something 😀 )

enfht
    Free Member

Does the 26″ include those huge clowns shoes or is that just the 29er?

Kryton57

Oh come on! They deleted my other thread!!

I was quite specific it wasnt a FS in disguise!!

Kryton57

Euro – Member
    What kind of races?

This would be used for 24hrs. I like comfort over raw speed over that duration.

mrblobby
    Free Member

This would be used for 24hrs. I like comfort over raw speed over that duration.

Would appear from your initial post that you are prioritising speed 🙂

Probably some places the lighter 26er would be faster (but probably not due to the weight) and some places the 29er would be faster. Depends on the course and the rider. Probably.

Kryton57

The 29er or the 650b I have in mind to replace the 26 are both FS as well. I’m happy enough with the 26 that it feels too expensive to replace it, which is where max torque’s post comes in as that’s the conclusion I was at, and am still at.

cookeaa

TimothyD
    Free Member

What s/he said. ^^^

I don’t know why…

adsh
    Free Member

Snake oil evidence.

3x 100mile rides – faster and more comfortable.

1x100mile race on very tough terrain – ain’t ever descended that fast or long on that sort of ground on my Flux.

Move from mid pack 8hr to top 10 (8th) in first 12hr race and I didn’t manage that increase by fitness alone from May.

Training doesn’t cost that much.Torqs day is £250 and worth every penny.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Interested to hear more about this. Did see this recently and couldn’t quite work out what you get for it. So you get a load of testing (assuming establishing thresholds, that sort of thing) then a bunch of theory on training, nutrition etc.? Do you actually come out with some sort of plan or just the tools to put one together?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There will be a new wheel size before you decide.

rickon
    Free Member

Bikes don’t win races, guns rappers do”.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

There will be a new wheel size before you decide.

haha

oldnick

My 26″ Anthem didn’t weigh a lot and I thought it was the bee’s knees…

…until I bit the bullet and bought a 29″ Scalpel.

Buy a 29er, make sure it has light wheels, learn to countersteer and Bob’s your uncle, fast rolling, fast accelerating and fast steering.

I have no pseudo scientific bollocks to back all this up, just the arse-dyno, and if it’s convinced then I’m convinced.

LoCo
    Free Member

All of our endurance team use 29ers

kimbers

Unless you’re riding/racing techy dh/enduro type stuff its 29er all the way

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you actually tried a 29er yet?

If not, please put us all out of our misery and do so.

adsh
    Free Member

Interested to hear more about this. Did see this recently and couldn’t quite work out what you get for it. So you get a load of testing (assuming establishing thresholds, that sort of thing) then a bunch of theory on training, nutrition etc.? Do you actually come out with some sort of plan or just the tools to put one together?

AM Lactate threshold and FTP test on the col de westbury – ouch!

Lunch – tasty

PM establish your goals and current training regime, do the theory on nutrition (surprise!), training, periodisation etc with some help to build a plan.

You also get their products at trade.

They bend over backwards to help. It’s the best value for performance gain I’ve spent. Really class outfit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks adsh. The value to performance gain thing, assumes that comes form applying the knowledge gained. Is there any follow up with it? Is it the sort of thing that would be complementary to coaching, or does it take the place of coaching. How clued up on training were you beforehand?

Oh and…

Have you actually tried a 29er yet?

😆

sandwicheater

The red one, the red one is always fastestest. I’m surprised you had to ask.

Yak

29er.

My missus did some pseudo scientific back-to-back ‘strava’ spend justification testing and concluded that my lardy inbred 29er was 10% faster than her lightweight scandal 26er over a typical mixed terrain loop. There was probably a lot more than 1lb difference too. Anyway she sold the scandal and got a 29er.

Kryton57

PM establish your goals and current training regime, do the theory on nutrition (surprise!), training, periodisation etc with some help to build a plan.

Done. I practised this last year, and on Sept 1 (Sept to Aug being my “season”) I created a 11 month periodised plan with a, b an c classified races in 2015.

Yes I’ve ridden a 29er – a Tallboy for 10 mins and quite a few hours on my own 29er SS.

Anyway, subject to testing I’ve made my decision as to what I’ll be riding in next years races, so thanks for the re-affirmation of my own thoughts.

I’m oot…

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve made my decision

Don’t keep us in suspense!

adsh
    Free Member

Mr Blobby – drop me an e mail

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, will do.

Kryton57

mrblobby – Member

Don’t keep us in suspense!

Plus the HT has already had the XC Racer Shop experience applied to it, just awaiting delivery. That’ll be used for short course racing approx 1hr-3hr & backup.

njee20
    Free Member

Do you not think that ^^ would be quicker than the 26″ bike for XC races? I do.

Kryton57

njee – yes p’raps, just don’t tell my wife. I love my enigma and the frame was a 40th present from her so it needs to have a place in my life 🙂

My new Mt Zoom skewers are hovering angel delight fashion in front of me as I speak…

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ that doesn’t look very “Whyte” to me, looks Black and Orange.

By that reckoning, clearly it’ll be faster cos’ it’ll be new and your legs will be happy and your brain will be excited.

Next season however… You’ll need another new bike.

Make that 650b 😛

Kryton57

bikebouy the alternative is this Anthem 650b, but I just can’t fall in love with it, despite the fact I could get one now £1k cheaper than the Whyte:

mrblobby
    Free Member

bikebouy the alternative is this Anthem 650b, but I just can’t fall in love with it, despite the fact I could get one now £1k cheaper than the Whyte:

Do you need to fall in love with it? It’s a tool for racing. Buy it, thrash it, then sell it on when you fancy something different.

Really don’t understand Giant dropping 29 on their XC race bikes. Seems madness when it’s what everyone wants to be riding.

Kryton57

Do you need to fall in love with it? It’s a tool for racing. Buy it, thrash it, then sell it on when you fancy something different.

You have a point. And the cost differential buys a lot from the XC racer shop 🙂

Is 650b really the future though, or faster than 29ers? 😀 *ducks*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘So I'm going to ask it anyway….’ is closed to new replies.