Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • So, I'm getting into whisky….
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is rather nice.

No it’s not, it’s absolutely gorgeous.
    Hard to get, but nicely smokey and peated is Fettercairn Fior, but I’ve never seen it in the shops.
    On a lighter couple of notes, right now I’m loving Auchentoshan and Dufftown(*) Singleton.
    EDIT ..and Glenrothes, very nice – light and quite citrus’y

* “Rome was built on seven hills, Dufftown stands on seven stills”

Plus it’s bollox that whisky tastes different or that you’re missing half the drink, I’ve tried it, can’t tell any difference at all.

I’m not sure about taste, but Glencairn glasses work a treat on the aromas, and that’s half the pleasure of the drink

kcal

SWMS – £6.50.

or

Riedel – £40 for 2 🙂

Nick

Maybe it’s because my palate and sense of smell is so good that I don’t need a glass to concentrate the aromas for me?

That said, I am a firmly of the opinion that if you believe something is better, you probably do experience more pleasure and satisfaction from it, and vice versa. Like low oxygen directional speaker cables.

So maybe it’s my frustration with the drinking experience that these glasses offer that impacts on my perceived enjoyment overall, which negates the claimed aroma benefits?

Anyway, this is the glass I like to use, lovely and heavy.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What ever you end up doing, take it easy wontcha… A thick head in the morning is nothing to be proud of.

I’m glad someone said this.

I have always gone carefully, but I know a couple of people who have damaged themselves of an evening with a nice bottle and it’s ruined whisky for them. Which is a pity.

davetrave
    Free Member

Blog of a schoolmate of mine that might be of use/interest:

The Whiskyphiles

kcal

need a corrected URL dave — http://thewhiskyphiles.wordpress.com/

looks interesting on first read. My boss has an aptitude for tasting (!) and seems to be able to identify characteristics in regions and stills pretty well. I can’t imagine the practice he’s had though 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

Blog of a schoolmate

is he old enough to be drinking?

wookie
    Free Member

+1 for Lagavulin, always have a bottle on my shelf.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Jura Superstition
    Aberlour
    and my favourite – Macallan Gold 😆

davetrave
    Free Member

Cheers Callum – the work computer/network was playing up when I was trying to do that so gave up and went out on the new ‘cross bike for an hour instead…

is he old enough to be drinking?

Probably should have said, old schoolmate of mine…!

What ever you end up doing, take it easy wontcha… A thick head in the morning is nothing to be proud of.

I’m glad someone said this.

I have always gone carefully, but I know a couple of people who have damaged themselves of an evening with a nice bottle and it’s ruined whisky for them. Which is a pity.

Nevermind the hangover, it’s the bank balance that can be seriously damaged after a good session – once incurred a bar bill of over £90 just for myself on a rather indulgent and careless tasting session (Mezzo in Elgin so probably serves me right…).

Houns

Buy this and give me the flask

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Aberlour 10 is nicer than the Aberlour 12 IMO.

Jura is nice too.

athgray
    Free Member

As mentioned 18yo Highland Park stands out IMO
    Balvenie Doublewood
    18yo Caol Illa

Although whiskey rather than whisky I reckon Bushmills is a good introduction. Sherried and very smooth.

edhornby

I managed to drop on a glass of this in a pub in Newcastle the other night

it is SO GOOD !!!!

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-12821.aspx

Nick

Jura is the On One of Whisky, great value but you just know there is much better out there if only you are prepared to pay for it.

(Disclosure: I have a 456 and a Pompino)

salsaboy

This comes with glasses. 😕

kcal

Mezzo! should have headed round 20 yards and I’d have provided drams for half that ::)

‘cross bike, what’d you get?

davetrave
    Free Member

Felt F5X like the one in Fresh Goods…

Ha! Yeah well, maybe next time!

mudshark
    Free Member

Just picked up a bottle of Jura Origin for £22 from Tesco.

metalheart
    Free Member

Caol Ila and balvenie for me.

I did like 15 yo Laphroig (but it’s been about 15 years since I last tried it….).

But Caol Ila is my favourite…

sc-xc

I think my wife read this thread…

dantsw13

Normal tipple is a Laphroaig (Quarter cask) – I like the edgy seaweed flavour. For en easy drink for guests, I have a Jura Origin – nice and honeyed.

Im after some new glasses for xmas – hopefully not more than £20 a pair.

Saccades
    Free Member

Royal Locnagar (sp) (I’ve tried a couple, all nice – my dad’s favourite)
    Scarpa 16 yo, was being sold cheapish on the ferry, v smooth – not seen it since to get more.
    Glenmorangie (I’ve tried a few, all nice – my port version got necked with coke… Still not happy).
    Woodford Reserve (I know, a bourbon but very nice, intense and then really complex – I like a dash of water with it)
    Jameson reserve – brilliant.

Not impressed with Glenfiddich 18 yo or any of the peaty (read TCP/medicinal) ones from islay.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I know nothing about whiskey really, just what I like the taste of. Not a fan of the smoky (Island) whiskeys, but definitely prefer the highland whiskeys.

MacAllan Gold – Personal favourite after trying a few in Edinburgh

Just started attending the village whiskey club and one that surprised us all was Hibiki 12. Everyone liked. May treat myself.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I was a bourbon drinker for years and only over the last few years got in to Scotch. Still not too keen on anything overly peaty, I like Oban but I have a Caol Ill than I find a bit much.

Recently discovered Jananese whisky and I’m a big fan of the Hibiki 17year old. Going to try and try some of the other (cheaper) Suntory whiskys next.

sc-xc

My research thus far has determined:

Dalwhinnie – favourite so far
    Jura Origins – nice, smooth
    Glenfiddich 12/15/18 – Nice, not so nice, not so nice
    Glen Moray – OK, a bit harsh
    Arbelour – nice, smooth, easy to drink
    Macduff – lovely, really smooth but too expensive to have more than a couple!

I have a Glenmorangie to try tonight.

I have been recommended Monkey Shoulder – it’s a blend but apparently very good. Will give it a try over Christmas.

Not bad for a month!

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ok I will try to spell it correctl,y Bruichladdich think that’s how it is spelt. Go for the 18yr it is awesome.

I used to buy my grandad a different single malt each year for Christmas and I remember finding one that was black in colour, oddly it was called a black whisky in the description but I can’t remember the brand. Anyway, it was soooooo peaty and so thick, very different but nice to try something different once in a while.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I used to buy my grandad a different single malt each year for Christmas and I remember finding one that was black in colour, oddly it was called a black whisky in the description but I can’t remember the brand.

Loch Dhu?

http://www.loch-dhu.com/index.htm

SamB
    Free Member

I have been recommended Monkey Shoulder – it’s a blend but apparently very good. Will give it a try over Christmas.

I picked up a bottle of this going through customs last week. Not worth it for £30, tastes like a middle-of-the-range blend IMO. I’ll stick with whatever’s on special in Waitrose from now on!

Cougar

Going to try and try some of the other (cheaper) Suntory whiskys next.

Yamazaki’s a good ‘bang for your buck’ drop, really quite nice.

Incidentally, has anyone tried Penderyn recently? I sampled it when it first came out and my overriding impression was “it might be alright once they’ve finished it.” Since then the frankly outrageously cheeky pricing has put me off trying again.

Cougar

Monkey Shoulder’s reasonable, but as SamB says, there’s far better ways of spending £30.

gordimhor

So I am getting into whisky. . ….Welcome to a world of taste sensations, mellow feelings , good company, relaxing by the fireside and Poverty 😆 N+1 doesn’t just apply to bikes you know! 🙂

gordimhor

The Singleton (Dufftown) is excellent easy drinking.

dantsw13

The Islay malts are certainly an acquired taste – which I have!!

fatyowls
    Free Member

Closet pissheads thread! 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The Singleton (Dufftown) is excellent easy drinking.

But only, (like I’ve said a zillion times before on whisky threads) If YOU like it. I didn’t like Singleton, but I like MOST of the Islay’s.

One man’s meat is another man’s poison. Simple.

bazingaeuan

Your next holiday should be to Islay…

dantsw13

[/url] Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

This thread has got me in the mood!!

Tonight is a Jura Origin, as I drank all my Laphroaig with the lads around my new firepit a few weeks ago post ride!!

Haze

Buy loads, any you don’t like send to a good home 😉

(Aberlour or Ardmore particularly welcome)

sc-xc

Just had a glass of arbelour Daz…

I’ll bring a flask out on our Xmas ride..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘So, I'm getting into whisky….’ is closed to new replies.