Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • So if you want a wide, carbon, light-ish but tough bar…
  • Northwind

…and you can get a Crank Bros Iodine 11- 780mm wide, 215g- for £80 new… Is there anything else you should consider before pressing buy?

It’s not the lightest option but then it is pretty dang wide, I suspect i’ll end up cutting it down but not sure- using a 745mm bar and I feel like I could go a hair wider. But you can always cut down, you can’t cut up 😉

BearBack
    Free Member

Gravity Light CSI flat bar by choice on all my bikes.

740mm wide enough for XC/AM/’enduro’ duties.. light and plenty plenty strong!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does carbon matter?
    http://bikethomson.com/mtb-aluminum/
    780mm stiff and nice. Gone from 745 to 760 and now at 780, the hacksaw has never gone near them.

Northwind

Ah, should have said, not looking for flat- the bike suits/needs 20/30mm of rise. Could use a tall stem or spacers obviously but I’d sooner do it with rise.

I’m swithering about width to be honest- I’ve been on 711mm Eastons for ages and they felt right but I borrowed this 745mm bar off a mate and though I’m not sure I prefer how it feels, it does seem to work.

Carbon not essential, but… 300g is good for an alu bar of this size but then they’re as expensive as the carbon options I’m looking at so that’s a very hard sell.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is always the Minaar Bar
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Enve-Minnaarbar-Greg-Minnaar-Replica-808-millimeter-Carbon-DH-Handlebar.html
    Loving the thomson bars, stiff & tough.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Easton havocs on mine. 750 wide 20 mm rise. No idea of weight.

ricky1
    Free Member

I’m looking to go for the mt zoom carbon 711mm at 118g,anyone got them?

honourablegeorge

Those CB Bars are supposed to be unpleasantly flexy at that width.

Easton Havocs can usually be had form Merlin for not much more.

stevede
    Free Member

Carbon Havocs for me too, I’d trust them a lot more than a crank bros bar!

matther01
    Free Member

Mt zoom 740mm sub 200g, sub £80…and matt black too.

dantsw13

Happy with my mt zoom carbon risers – they were on my Heckler in Les Gets last summer and survived.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve actually got some Crank Brothers Iodine II bars in 740 that I don’t need. 30mm rise. Not used that much….

Northwind

Cheers Rickon, would be going with their gnarbar though but appreciate the offer. @honourablegeorge, cheers, hadn’t heard that- the iodines have a rep for flex but then they’re dedicated xc bars.

I’ve got a set of Havocs on the dh bike (ironically cut down to 720mm) and yep, they are nice. Though, a fair bit more expensive. I’m a long-term Crank Bros pisstaker but they’re usually OK as long as there’s no moving parts 😉

The Mt Zooms are nice… Sub-200g ain’t the half of it, 165g apparently! That’s on a par with the Strut, which was the other major contender. Cheers for that, on the list.

plus-one

I’ve got set of the exotic 750mm flat bars £60ish pounds or thereabouts ? Ok the graphics aren’t the prettiest but it’s very light and not noticed any unnecessary flex but I’m not a big chap 😀

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve got some MT Zooms are 740, they noticabley flex, but are mega comfy. They feel and look fragile, but I really bet they’re not. Plus you’re buying from Ant White, who’s a proper nice guy.

scotsman
    Free Member

Renthal

dantsw13

I have a set of exotic carbon risers too – very similar to the Mt Zooms.

ricky1
    Free Member

So now I’m torn between havens and mt zooms,I knew I shouldn’t have had a read of this thread 🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

For about £30 more you could have the Renthal carbon bar and that is 180g or if you fancy wider for the same money a raceface sixc which comes in at 785 and 220g.

The Renthal comes in 4 heights and the raceface is 19mm and comes in different colour decals. My money would be on the raceface.

br
    Free Member

Renthal Carbon Lite is 740mm wide and 177g, in 40mm riser. Replaced some Easton DH carbons (711mm and 220g) that I’d had for 5 years, the Renthal’s are stiffer.

If I had a choice of Renthal vs CB, it wouldn’t be CB.

Northwind

OK, so closure- got the Crank Bros, because I wanted the width. They came in under weight at 200g, look really nice, have been ridden a few times, bashed off a bunch of trees and crashed once- finish seems durable too. All in all, very pleased with em. Still not 100% sure if I’ll cut them down or not, they’re wide enough to have real downsides but I got used to the feel pretty quick and the way it pulls you into an aggressive natural stance is mint.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘So if you want a wide, carbon, light-ish but tough bar…’ is closed to new replies.