Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • so if you knew how to re-monetise the music industry…
  • timc
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Not all the good ones though. Because the record labels made this thing called ‘The Music Industry’ and it is a fickle beast. As we know it in NO way rewards actual talent or musical quality, it is about making money which can be done best by focusing on things other than the music.

Not true & even less so the case now in 2011…

Lifer
    Free Member

No I agree with Molgrips, the Industry is more concerned with creating vacuous figures that can be used to sell perfume, clothes, alcohol, etc than creating music that people will still be buying in 20 years.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

The building firms made this thing called ‘The Construction Industry’ and it is a fickle beast. As we know it in NO way rewards actual talent or bricklaying quality, it is about making money which can be done best by focusing on things other than the cement.

timc
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    an interesting (and possibly irrelevant) point was made by a friend of mine the other day, he’s got a 5 piece band and the venue promoter (a shite) was trying to settle on a figure of less than £200 for a 1hr 40mins set of original material, his response was:

him: “do you know much about plumbers?”

venue: “erm, a bit, why?”

him: “how much do you think it would cost to get a plumber and four assistants out to do two hours work late on a Saturday evening then?”

venue: “gone knows, it wouldn’t be cheap”

him: “but you expect us all to come along, driving about 1hr round trip, bring all our kit, pack out your pub and entertain your punters for two hours, for peanuts?”

venue: fair point, £500 ok?

its all a matter of perspective.

and timc, I’m a recording & preforming artist.

fair play to your mate…

I run a large indie with close ties to a major, so look on with some interest, i suspect you dont realise how the playing field for releasing music is already level… its the PR / Marketing side of things that people will struggle to compete with…

Tbh i could spend the rest of the day enlightening the majority on here, but im on my lunch break at the moment! 😕

pypdjl
    Free Member

The music industry can complain all they like, but a business model that expects people to pay 7 quid for something that can trivially be obtained for nothing is asking for trouble.

RichPenny
    Free Member

IMO if something does get introduced as a replacement revenue stream, it’ll be controlled more tightly by the industry. Meaning that the smaller pool of money generated will still be used to promote talentless slop and there will be less cash for genuine new talent.

I certainly wouldn’t want all my music to be self produced by the band – loads of great producers out there who add greatly to recorded music. I also think people need to stop trying to justify stealing music to themselves. Just accept that you’re being a bit selfish.

timc
    Free Member

anything can be ‘obtained’ for free.

I presume you mean albums…

pypdjl
    Free Member

Yes. Given that you can pay 7 quid and download an album, or just download it for free, it’s not surprising that lots of people don’t pay! I’m not trying to justify it (I still buy CDs!), but that is the situation. Expecting everyone to just pay up to the same extent that they were pre-filesharing is wishful thinking.

timc
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone within the industry thinks that tbh

The world is the way it is & most people in this thread dont actually know what they are talking about 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Demand sets the price

True. Has demand gone up now that people are walking around with iPods glued in all the time, rather than just chillin with a few albums after work/school?

Not true & even less so the case now in 2011…

Fair point – I suppose I was being lazy in referring to part of the big blockbuster style music industry.. but does that not cover most of the top earning names?

RichPenny
    Free Member

I run a large indie with close ties to a major

Which one Tim? And can I have some free stuff 😀

timc
    Free Member

2 points really molgrips

Record labels don’t control the music industry in the way you suggest, Radio / TV / online / Press etc & most importantly the Public all mold the industry.

Rewarding Talent… obviously a matter of opinion regarding Talent. Adele best selling artist so far this year, you telling me she isn’t talented?

I presume you mean novelty artists or ones that you might argue are not as good, lets use the example of Mr Blobby being number 1 many years ago, is that the music industry’s fault, or the Mugs who bought it?

I really could explain in great detail but it would take me hours to cover all angles fully.

timc
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    I run a large indie with close ties to a major
    Which one Tim? And can I have some free stuff

Mainly Dance Music, so probably not something you would want 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Rewarding Talent… obviously a matter of opinion regarding Talent.

Ok I admit my post was flippant.

I have always appreciated that there are many artists that to my ears sound like trash but are actually very skilled. However I suspect that there are quite a few that are not.

How much power do radio stations actually have? I thought they were dictated to by the labels?

Always interested in learning about different industries 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

Come on tim, I’ll be impressed! Oh, and electronic music is at least 50% of my collection. I’m still interested 🙂 Our company runs a small label, so I get to hear the label manager complaining occasionally 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘so if you knew how to re-monetise the music industry…’ is closed to new replies.