Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • So if you come across someone anxious / panicky & out of their depth at dusk…
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

… I’d thought, being level headed and all, I’d know what to do with most outdoors incidents tbh. But this evening in -4 icy conditions I came across a youngster (well half my age so not so young) on their own who asked for help with a puncture.

Once that was sorted we were chatting and it was obvious that the cold and ice / snow were terrifiying them. So we agreed to a social amble back to reality and got chatting.

Thing was every 30 seconds they crashed, face planted, otb, hit a tree….. Anyway it was a bit icy, but no matter how slow we went they were as tense as a bowstring. Every turn on the bars was 90 degrees one way or the other. Maybe 15 crashes later we were back to base.

Every corner, slope, camber. you could just see the shoulders rising, the fists clencing… smack! Ouch! We got back just before dark.

So basically – what can you do with someone that’s so wound up by a circumstance, even somewhere they’re used to riding, something they’re used to doing, what can you do / say to get them back to themselves?

cynic-al
    Free Member

leave them to die

druidh
    Free Member

Get them warmed up and get some food in them.

I’ve noticed that I when I start to run low on energy my concentration/judgement slips and I’m more prone to stupid errors.

Rscott
    Free Member

Hypothermia? maybe

Rorschach
    Free Member

Wot Al said…natural selection at work.They’ll never learn otherwise.

monogramman
    Free Member

how far from base were you?

Maybe would have been better to walk?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Oh – yes – and dang – never thought of the energy thing. That’s bad. Really bad.

buzz1024
    Free Member

I always carry a spare set of stabilisers for this very thing…….

warton
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

30 mins normally – but icey as * so probably an hour. Walking 2-3 hours.

#Edit – Im curious about the mental side of this though – someone well used to being out and about on a bike gets physhed and just kindof mentally shuts down.

legend
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    leave them to die

always got to use the pirate’s code in this situation

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Maybe would have been better to walk?

We did walk some of the steeper bits- to me that was scarier than on the bike.

tomhoward

You were going so slow the poor chap was having to trackstand every 5 seconds? Maybe he thought the stranger he’d just got help from was looking for a different sort of favour in return? Or a kidney…

druidh
    Free Member

Not so much a code – more what you’d call “guidelines”….

mrphil
    Free Member

Nice to see sarcasm on the first reply.

People can’t be perfect.

If the person has extra layers in the bag then get them on, if you have food or they do then get them to eat it.

Before getting on the bike get the body warm by either jogging on the spot and then swinging your arms to getthe body heat back.

Even motivation can help.

brooess
    Free Member

Sounds like you did the right thing: looked after them.
    Be calm and reassuring, take control in a calm way and get them home safe. Not a lot more you can do…

druidh
    Free Member

Yep. Seen it, but usually when out walking/climbing. You get low then loose judgement and co-ordination. Food usually works (at least for a while).

Kevevs
    Free Member

sounds like a crap rider. I’m no cycling god but y’know, sounds like a dick shouldn’t be let out of the house.

monogramman
    Free Member

You should have stopped to keep warm, next time look for a cave.[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDRA_P4wzIw[/video]

druidh
    Free Member

stevewhyte
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

leave them to die

If they are male, yes.

Female……………… 😳

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I dont think they were cold. Certainly never mentioned it and had all the right gear.

But energy sounds likely.

So what’s the tipping point for someone used to doing A/B/C and can suddenly mentally shut down / panic?

Oh – and thanks brooess – there’s not much else you would do really. Someone needs a hand etc.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

sounds like a crap rider. I’m no cycling god but y’know, sounds like a dick shouldn’t be let out of the house.

Another Yawn just for you.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

glupton1976
    Free Member

Folk go weird in all sorts of ways when they’re cold. Only thing I’d have done differently would probably be to introduce humour into the situation. Turn it into a who can have the daftest crash kind of thing. Introduces a bit of control into the crashes, and warms them up by stimulating their muscles around their core.

Where was this?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

sounds like a crap rider.

Oh dear.

But even if that were true – what makes someone shutdown when they “panic”?

druidh
    Free Member

Remember when you first started riding? If you were anything like me, you froze/went stiff at the first sign of anything techy or pulled on your brakes inappropriately. Going slow over rocks and roots is guaranteed to end in spills. Once you’ve had one fall and the brain can’t get the body to relax it’ll keep happening. Cold and lack of energy hits your cognitive ability so you’ll start to see “problems” that you’d usually ignire.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

glupton – the humour thing sounds good! Somewhere near you btw!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

druidh – I think you may be right, arms stiff – pushing danger away etc. So someone doesnt do that normally – does the cold make this worse?

Kevevs
    Free Member

ok, that was a bit much. but come on, people should know what they are doing. Messing about on a bike in the middle of nowhere in freezing conditions isn’t a joke. There has to be some accountability!

glupton1976
    Free Member

The symptoms of hypothermia can vary depending on whether it is mild, moderate or severe. The severity of hypothermia is determined by how low your body temperature has become.

Mild hypothermia

The early symptoms of hypothermia are often recognised by a parent or carer. This is because hypothermia can cause confusion, poor judgement and a change in behaviour which means the affected may not realise that they have it.
    If someone has mild hypothermia (generally with a body temperature of 32-35?C), the symptoms aren’t always obvious but they can include:
    constant shivering
    tiredness
    low energy
    cold or pale skin
    fast breathing (hyperventilation)

Moderate hypothermia

Moderate cases of hypothermia (generally with a body temperature of 28-32?C) can include symptoms such as:
    violent, uncontrollable shivering (although shivering can stop completely at lower temperatures as the body is unable to generate heat)
    being unable to think or pay attention
    confusion (some people don’t realise they’re affected)
    loss of judgement and reasoning (someone with hypothermia may decide to remove clothing despite being very cold)
    difficulty moving around
    loss of co-ordination
    drowsiness
    slurred speech
    slow, shallow breathing (hypoventilation)

Severe hypothermia

The symptoms of severe hypothermia (a body temperature of below 28?C) can include:
    unconsciousness (comatose)
    shallow or no breathing
    weak, irregular or no pulse
    dilated pupils

The individual may in fact appear to be dead. However, under these circumstances the individual must be taken to hospital in order for it to be decided whether they have died, or are in a state of severe hypothermia. If this is the case, advanced medical intervention may still be able to resuscitate them.

ampthill

ok, that was a bit much. but come on, people should know what they are doing. Messing about on a bike in the middle of nowhere in freezing conditions isn’t a joke. There has to be some accountability!

Hmmm…

Thats a slippery slope. Charging for mountan rescue, no free A & E wif you were jumping

druidh
    Free Member

Lots of mountain accidents happen when something fairly innocuous goes wrong but a bad decision will be made because brain function is being affected by cold, hunger and tiredness. Bad decision follows bad decision….

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No worries kevevs – but my point is that this was someone who rides all the time, knew whats up, but for some reason – mentally shut down. Not some numptie on a bso. They had the good sense to ask for help tbf – but the mental calculations somehow shut down. That really is what my Q is about.

thebunk

Might he have got mild concussion from a crash before you got there? Had that skiing where a mate who previously seemed fine at skiing was crashing every 30 seconds and asking where his gloves were…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks glupton.

There was no shivering, no mention of cold fingers/ feet, but the other moderate symptoms may kind of add up.

Duuno if its just a simpler thing of kind of just giving up / tagging along with someone to do the thinking but loosing all coordination.

druidh
    Free Member

If you are interested in how stuff “goes wrong”, I can recommend The Black Cloud by IDS Thomson. Happy to let you borrow my copy.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it does sound like hypothermia or something. anyway, the guy is ok so it’s a good result 😀

Duggan

Well played OP for helping them.

I imagine he was very grateful, I’m sure most of us on here have for whatever reason had one of those moments where you can begin to feel panic rising slightly within you, and it’s a pretty unpleasant feeling.

glupton1976
    Free Member

All that matters is that the situation was resolved to a healthy conclusion. Even with the “correct” gear on you can get pretty cold pretty quickly if you’re moving slowly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘So if you come across someone anxious / panicky & out of their depth at dusk…’ is closed to new replies.