Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • So if you call the Samaritans…
  • peteimpreza

Do you get genuine help or is it all Bible orientated?

druidh
    Free Member

Depends on why you call.

e.g. – if you’ve been swallowed by a whale……

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have never called so don’t know for sure but a school friends mum was a samaritans volunteer and I thought she was a trained person who wanted to help people. Don’t remember religion being a major driver for her.

pudd
    Free Member

They ideally shouldn’t do anything except listen. Unless you ask them to.

If you think you need to call them, then i suggest you do so. Now.

ads678

I was really depressed once and went to sit on the train tracks, then I thought “what am I doing” and called the samitans, the person answered the phone and told me to stay on the line!!

garage-dweller

True story or not thats awful…

mattmbk
    Free Member

My mother volunteered for over 10 years and I can guarantee any advice she may have given would’ve had absolutely nothing to do with religion. They are there to listen to your problems and not pass any judgment. If you think you need to ring them please do so, sooner rather than later.

wallop

Oh druidh… 😆 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

I volunteered briefly – no way would they give you any religious crap – or any crap – the concept is that they listen/talk.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I gave the Samaritans phone to a prisoner twice last week while on nights (quiet week!) Wouldn’t have thought there’d be any religious connection about it. (knowing the prisoner, who’s a manipulative CONniving, err….person)

ads678

Apologies, shit joke I know but I just couldn’t resist it.

My mum volunteers for victim support. Most of the people volunteering are people that have had experience themselves. They do go on training courses to become qualified counselors and i’d assume this is similar at the samaritans.

Agree with what was said above though, if you’re this king of ringing them for help don’t hang around here, pick up the bloody phone!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I loved the joke ads.

Depression/suicide is no fun so a sense of humour is defo needed.

MrNutt
    Free Member

They are there to listen, it can help.

peteimpreza

Thanks for the advice.

I think I can get through tonight but tomorrow will be a different proposition.

I will look up their number now.

scotchegg
    Free Member

08457 90 90 90

Just call now. Don’t put it off.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Yeah man ring em please, its no good keeping it in, i had to call when my wifes brain surgery went tits up, helped me a lot and im all the better for it.

maccruiskeen

or is it all Bible orientated?

Samaritanism is more closely related to Judaism – if they were to have a book to bask it would be the Samaritan Torah. 🙂

The guy that founded the Samaritans charity is vicar but its not a religious exercise as such, beyond the non exclusively christian notion of selfless helpfulness.

The point of the service is that its confidential and non-judgemental – non-judgemental to the extent that they don’t even have an anti-suicide agenda (although the vast majority of callers aren’t calling for that reason)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Been there, done that, just give them a ring. From what I remember she just listened and encouraged me to talk. Didn’t offer any advice but allowed me to get it all out and think a bit more clearly.

pingu66
    Free Member

If you think you need to call someone Samaritans is a good start.

You may need longer term support such as counselling.

Samaritans is a great step and they will listen and talk. They are there to help YOU. Just don’t put it off.

Whatever you need make sure you get it buddy your not alone in this and many here have probably been there. I certainly have.

jamj1974

Call them – they are only there to help by listening and do not push religion in any way. If you are feeling desperate, depressed or don’t know whom to turn to – they can be a real lifeline.

I have talked to them before…

J

jamj1974

Oh and check back in on here if you are up to it. For a forum of people who don’t necessarily know each other in the ‘real world’ I have seen people on here rally around each other tremendously. When the chips are down – people on here really show they care.

Look after yourself,

J

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Don’t forget to book an appointment with your doctor if this is more than just a ‘blip’. We men are notoriously bad at chatting to the doc about anything, especially mental health, and unlike women who (yes I’m generalising…shoot me) who tell their life story to their work mates daily, us guys tend to be a little more private.

As Bob used to say, “It’s good to talk”. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its not religious and they just listen – i volunteered with them

Worth calling but not quite help either so also seek help

FWIW many callers were just moaning miserable people who had no friends because they were miserable pessimistic types who no one would listen to.

We were not allowed to hang up so you would get regulars who would just call and moan and moan and moan about everything and nothing

rudebwoy
    Free Member

FWIW many callers were just moaning miserable people who had no friends because they were miserable pessimistic types who no one would listen to.

must be a moaners paradise– if you not allowed to hang up !– surely you must get depressed yourself if you have to listen to that sort of thing incessantly– did you have caller display? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

pre caller display but I did give it up quite quickly as I did not feel like i was helping much and they bored the hell out of you

wwaswas

As above – talking to them may get you through an immediate crisis but it’s not going to be a long term help.

I hope the OP got what he needed last night and is able to visit a healthcare professional today.

Lost my brother-in-law 2.5 years ago because he wouldn’t ask for help. After seeing what his kids and my sister went through I’d not wish it on my worst enemy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘So if you call the Samaritans…’ is closed to new replies.