Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • So if oil is leaking from around the U-Turn adjuster…
  • nuke

…on my RS forks having been kept upside and not from the positive valve itself, I need to top up the oil in the lowers…is that right? 😕

robhughes
    Free Member

where abouts is it coming from?
    ie which seal.
    solution.new o ring.drain and refill lowers 15ml of 15wt oil if there air.

nuke

where abouts is it coming from?

Oil is coming from under the u-turn adjuster. Took the adjuster knob off and its pretty oily around there.

I don't suspect its the u-turn air piston/shaft assembly. I'm guessing, when left upside, oil has leaked down from the the lowers between the stanchion tube and the air shaft.

kaiser
    Free Member

If you read the manual I seem to remember 3-5cc of ?wt oil should go in the top so it's probably that you need to replenish/top up rather than oil coming from the lowers. btw if I remember correctly the seal between the u turn knob and the +ve air valve is rather weird in that when you tighten the knob assembly back down (clockwise) the schraeder valve loosens so you need to tighten that the same way (presume it's left hand thread) to make the seal between the 2. bit difficult to explain really .

nuke

If you read the manual I seem to remember 3-5cc of ?wt oil should go in the top so it's probably that you need to replenish/top up rather than oil coming from the lowers.

Not really true…for the left leg of a u-turn air RS fork, oil goes in the lowers and in the air piston/shaft assembly but not in the top according to the manual. This is what was confusing me because if the oil isn't leaking out of the valve or leaking out of the air piston/shaft assembly into the u-turn assembly, then it has to be from the lowers.

kaiser
    Free Member

ok don't have time search for the details and i must say that RS manuals and vids on u tube can be confusing ( some of it doesn't make sense and seems to have not been proof read/edited properly. HOWEVER
    I have some 06 u turn air revs and the manual definately says:
    "left leg top volume 3-5cc/ml of 15 wt oil "
    that's what I put in and all is ok !
    hth's

nuke

"left leg top volume 3-5cc/ml of 15 wt oil "

Not disagreeing that it doesn't say that but it doesn't go in the top…when you have removed the air piston/shaft assembly and then removed the air shaft from the air tube, only then can the positive air chamber can be accessed to pour in the oil. The oil they are referring to as in the top leg is required in the postive air chamber and not around the u-turn assembly which is where the oil would be if you poured oil in from the top. hth 😉

kaiser
    Free Member

Ok ..may be wrong..I'll look into that. never had the air piston shaft out tbh .RS don't make things too clear do they. I've changed the seals oils and topped up the motion control beforehand with success . whatever you find out would be of interest to me. seems the norm that most manuals leave a lot of ambiguities …most frustrating!!

kaiser
    Free Member

btw ..watch some of the RS vids on utube. some of them (air service side?) are totally confusing .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘So if oil is leaking from around the U-Turn adjuster…’ is closed to new replies.