Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • So, if I were looking for a 6" frame to replace my Meta 5….
  • rj
    Free Member

Would it be a Remedy or a Banshee Rune or an Enduro? I've ridden the Remedy which I liked a lot, but am I missing out elsewhere? (and no, the answer is NOT LaPierre)

simondbarnes

Remedy

Lapierre?

I ride an Enduro and it's bloody ace.

My mate rides a Remedy and that is pretty awesome too. I've not ridden it though.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Meta6

rj
    Free Member

Meta 6? Ridden and dismissed as lacking.

elbry
    Free Member

hunt down a intense 5.5

rj
    Free Member

Aren't they meant to be a trifle flexy at at the back end? Wasn't terribly blown away by the Tracer.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Why 6 inches? What do you want that extra inch for? More speed on the descents? Bigger drops? A stiffer frame with a few degrees off the head angle will smoke the meta on the fun stuff. Wouldnt be hard though I suppose. An inch of travel is irrelevant

WackoAK
    Free Member

You should try an Orange Alpine before making a choice.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

SC Heckler !

genesis
    Free Member

Morewood Mbuzi. They look real nice and ride just as good apparently, kind of an exclusive Orange Alpine if you will.

RoterStern
    Free Member

All the bikes you mentioned aren't duds. But all the advice being given is mute unless you elaborate on what your riding style is like. The new Remedy and Enduro have moved away from the 'freeride' tag and gone more 'all mountain'. That means in practical terms they have steepened up the angles to make them climb a bit better. But generally all these bikes make climbing a real chore.

But generally all these bikes make climbing a real chore.

Erm, no they dont. The Enduro and Remedy climb really well – in fact the Enduro climbs better than any bike I've ever owned.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Erm, no they dont. The Enduro and Remedy climb really well – in fact the Enduro climbs better than any bike I've ever owned.

I have test ridden both those bikes and compared to my race bike ( a Seven Sola) they are not very sprightly going up the hill (where I go riding it involves 1000+ metres of climbing in one go) so much so that I tended to avoid some of my favourite climbs because they seemed endless grinding up them in a granny gear. The descending was another matter entirely (in fact they suspension worked so well it took a lot of the fun out of it) but as I said it all depends on what you want to use the bike for which is the point of my original post.

grantway
    Free Member

Orange Alpine 160 has in the MBR test it killed the Meta 6
    for weight, strength, and a much better bike

Orange Alpine frame weight including RP23
    Medium 18 inch frame is 7lbs

mikey74
    Free Member

Vote for the Banshee Rune here…cause I have one, and it's great.

jam-bo

if i had the cash I'd replace my five with an alpine 160 tomorrow. ace bikes.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Have a look at the Chumba XCL, 'only' 5" of travel, but super tough and very stiff, but not heavy and can be built to around 29-30lb with sensible kit. Will work with 160mm up front if you feel the need 🙂

I have a few frames at good prices too 🙂

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/news24082009.html

rj
    Free Member

Hmm, I wasn't very specific there, was I? I want 6" because I have coil Lyriks to put on it although I'd be perfectly happy with less travel at the back, I want it for the odd uplift and for general trail riding where my Handjob is left a little wanting. The Meta 5 is a bit flexy and a bit short and doesn't climb particularly well so maybe the Enduro is worth having a look at if I can get a shot on one.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Forge197 who also posts on here runs Lyrics on his XCL, and i think he likes it! I am confident to say that you will struggle to notice flex in the XCL 🙂

Anyone else sick of si popping up with a Chumba on every single bike thread. I'm finding it slightly tiresome now.

jam-bo

does he pay a trade fee?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Anyone else sick of si popping up with a Chumba on every single bike thread. I'm finding it slightly tiresome now.

Not every thread, but a fair comment, i will leave alone now….

does he pay a trade fee?

an ad to go live soon, kinda of a 'trade fee'

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It is a bit tiresome.

druidh
    Free Member

I agree – it's all getting a bit much. Especially as we don't sell them here at The Bike Chain in Edinburgh.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for the Heckler..

steviep
    Free Member

Alpine 160 for me too. No problems climbing and descends fantastic!

backhander
    Free Member

I have test ridden both those bikes and compared to my race bike ( a Seven Sola) they are not very sprightly going up the hill

What? So they're not great climbers because these 30lb full sus 6" bikes aren't as good uphill as your hardtail race bike?
    The suspension took the fun out of downhill? You're supposed to go faster.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

Wouldn't mind if it was a good looking bike. Looking at the geo of the bikes mentioned I'd have the Orange Alpine, seeing as you mentioned climbing. Personally I'd have a blood or similar but then I care not for climbing performance.

rj
    Free Member

I've tried the Blood and really liked it. Climbs a lot better than it I thought it would, too. I'll see if I can get a shot on an Alpine although I don't know anyone round these parts who has one as a demo. I'll see if I can get a blast on an Enduro and a Rune too.

RoterStern
    Free Member

The suspension took the fun out of downhill? You're supposed to go faster.

Oh believe me I did go faster but it made the regular trails I ride a bit dull. You don't have to think about line choice just point and go.

Lol @ druid

grumm
    Free Member

Second hand Pitch frame? Very happy with mine.

Have to agree about si_progressivebikes – can't remember seeing him ever posting about anything else.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘So, if I were looking for a 6" frame to replace my Meta 5….’ is closed to new replies.