Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • So, if I wanted an AM full-sus 29er…
  • sillyoldman

Where are you Sancho?

singlespeedstu

I’m lovin my Tallboy LTC with a few mods.
    Slacking it out a bit with a works components headset and some angle reducing shock bushes has transformed it. It used to feel fine on Alpine rides now it feels even better than my Nomad.
    That ION 29er looks interesting though.
    Might have to get a test ride on one before we go away next year.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Another biased option. Commencal meta AM? £1020 for the frame with a fox rp23 direct from Commencal. Or £770 frame only

Or full bike Meta AM 29er 2012 mixture of XO and X7, Formula RX and even a reverb.

trusty

Loving my stumpy evo, got some pikes to try on it next. I would have had the commencal but both bikes I had from Crc had misaligned frames 😥

lock
    Free Member

Cube stero got to be one of the best for performance and value ,nirvana bike shop in westcott got a demo there’s not much on the stock bike that needs upgrading
    Tonyb

on one codeine when they decide to release it ?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

bigoldhillsroundhere – Member

on one codeine when they decide to release it ?

personally I wouldn’t buy the first run of a new frame from on-one

wait to the second/ third batch when the obvious design/ QA issues are sorted

chakaping
    Free Member

The Codeine can’t run a front mech and I can’t afford 1×11 mate, otherwise I’d be all over the CCDB version.

Some really good ideas on here though, including a few I wasn’t aware of.

Lots of wheel chat but what do people reckon on forks? Will a Revelation be up to the job of riding gnarly rocks?

I’d have thought not but having ridden one on my 29er HT it seems like the fork is less of a limiting factor than with 26in.

singlespeedstu

I find the couple of Revs I own a little flexy.
    My 34 is much better on steep rocky stuff.
    Having said that I’m waiting for a Pike to replace the 34.
    Then i’ll replace one of the Revs with the 34.

chakaping
    Free Member

And so it goes…

All roads would seem to lead me to a Pike – but not until I’ve sold off my 26″ kit. And I can’t do that ’til I’ve seen if 29″ is indeed the way for me.

I like the look of the new Mavic 821 UST rim for wheels, maybe built onto the new Hope Pro 2 Evo.

Chainline
    Free Member

@Singlespeedstu let me know if you want a bash on the Ion. I’m sure we can arrange something. Small differences to the production bike but not matrial to getting a feel for it.

singlespeedstu

I might just take you up on that.
    Cheers.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Might i add my suggestion of a Banshee Prime in raw!! Mate of mine had a go on it the other day and i rode i
    his 5 Spot, he was really impressed with it too mainly its movability and how stable it felt in the air and over rocks etc…… he is better than me and far more experienced so i’ll take his word for it ha!

Barry the banshee by Belles and Whistles, on Flickr

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My revs do flex some, but they’re not really the knarliest fork out there. After riding my mates Shinobi on fox float 36s I immediately noticed a difference. How much of that is down to the increased stiffness I don’t know, but I’m working hard to pull forward my Pikes upgrade. Not a completely disastrous fork for a 140mm 29erAM bike, but not as good as the more expensive and burlier options. I guess that’s obvious though.

Sancho
    Free Member

I’m in Leeds let me know if you want a go

Bigmantrials

This year I am hoping to build a slightly more agressive full sus 29er. My plan is to go down the Salsa Horsetheif route, the forks I am looking at the X Fusion Trace (51mm offset, 34mm stantions) and as for wheels I expect they will be carbon in some form or another! I have done quite alot of reading on the chinese carbon 29er rims and they seem to be holding out very well for lots of people, so I may go that route, or the Derby rims if they are available to be posted to the UK.

Chainline
    Free Member

@Bigmantrials you can get the Derby’s from a Richard@gravity-sports.co.uk.

Light bicycle are also bringing out a wider version of their rim/wheel.

chakaping
    Free Member

Got myself a cheap Zesty for the year ahead’s riding and I’m going to bide my time and demo some 650b and 29in FSers in 2014.

This thread’s been really helpful though, so cheers all.

llama

Horsethief with traces

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Anymore photos of that llama?

peasant
    Free Member

The Horsethief IS my next bike how much does it weigh llama ?

dexterbexley
    Free Member

I’ve got a Banshee Prime and Kona Honzo and they’re both amazing bikes. Coming off a 26″ enduro, I thought I’d have to slow down a bit on the Prime, but I’m a lot faster on the same trails. Short back end and long front on both bikes means they can be thrown about and both are tough as hell.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Lester – Member ive just ordered a titus Rockstar in carbon from On-One to go with my fireline 29er

Great bike, I have the aluminium version… a very flattering ride

chakaping
    Free Member

Resurrecting this thread because I’m taking the plunge.

Those of you who ride mid and long-travel 29ers – how do you find a 140mm fork compares to a 26in 160mm fork on rugged terrain?

Was gonna go 150mm (frame is 130mm rear travel), but now tempted to just get 140mm as the geometry might be a bit better and they’re in stock now.

Thoughts welcome.

z1ppy

I think the Thumper frame adding to the thread (130 rear travel/140 up front), does have it’s own thread (close due suspected ‘advertising’ I believe) but it still should be mentioned.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes it looks a marvellous frame and a crazy bargain.

But let’s talk about forks now.

😉

z1ppy

Opps apologies, thought you were just bumping an old thread (so I just added info), didn’t realise you were the OP!

chakaping
    Free Member

NP – the reference to the Thumper is quite appropriate actually.

weeksy

chakaping – Member

Resurrecting this thread because I’m taking the plunge.

Those of you who ride mid and long-travel 29ers – how do you find a 140mm fork compares to a 26in 160mm fork on rugged terrain?

Was gonna go 150mm (frame is 130mm rear travel), but now tempted to just get 140mm as the geometry might be a bit better and they’re in stock now.

Thoughts welcome.

Like everything, it’s impossible really as geometry, position, shock etc play a massive factor too.

My previous was a 170mm Bionicon 26″ and I don’t feel any more ‘under-biked’ on my AM29 with 130mm that’s for sure. It’s a similar sort of sit back AM geometry on both, so both just batter their way through things.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve recently upgraded my 140mm revs to 150mm Pikes with 51mm offset and its a very noticeable and significant improvement. Not only are the Pikes noticeably stiffer than the revs the handling of the bikes is also significantly better. The affect of the Pikes with 13mm more A-C length a degree or so slacker HA and a slightly longer wheelbase has definately worked. The front end feels like it bites in better giving more confidence in looser less grippy terrain, and the bike is more agile. Also when things get steep the bike feels better and instils more confidence. All subjective stuff – I can’t back up with improved back to back times or explanations referring to geometry, but it is simply better than it was before. I went for the dual Position forks so on steep climbs I drop the front to 120mm and the bike is a much better climber than it was before also. So a win win basically – apart from the hit to the bank balance that is.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a Pike either way.

Suppose I’m mainly thinking just about rock-gobbling performance.

In my experience there’s a tipping point from 140mm to 150mm on 26in bikes, where the bike stops hanging up on rocks and stuff.

But of course the 29er wheels roll way better, so 140mm might be more than adequate. Hard for me to tell on my 140mm 29er HT, because the rigid rear end limits my speed.

weeksy

come try my Meta out if you’re down south and a large.

chakaping
    Free Member

cheers for the offer, I would do but I’m oop north and medium

🙂

Yetiman
    Free Member

Aaaargh – I just wrote a huge reply about my experience changing from 160/170mm bikes to a long travel 29er and I’ve gone and lost it. I knew I should’ve typed it up in Outlook first before posting it 🙁

Basically, in conclusion, 140mm forks on my Helius AC 29er were more than capable, 150mm Pikes were betterer, and I’m now on 160mm Pikes. It’s still early days on the 160mm Pikes but I reckon the 150mm Pikes were the sweetspot (with 145mm of rear travel).

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s good info cheers.

Leaning toward sticking with the 150mm Pike I’ve ordered I think.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘So, if I wanted an AM full-sus 29er…’ is closed to new replies.