Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • So I was about to go out and ….. no drive from the rear hub ?
  • RobinL

It was ok the other night but I knew that there was some play in the rear hub ( I could feel the slight movement in the rear wheel ) but this morning all kitted up, Strava started on the bike and pedal but no forward movement !

I could spin the pedals both ways without any drive, I’m no bike mechanic but does this mean the freehub is b*ggered ?

The freehub is less than a year old and has only done about 1000 miles – that doesn’t sound much to me !

Any ideas – it will be going to the LBS – I won’t be attempting to fix it, I’m just wondering what the problem is and if that’s normal wear and tear ?

legend
    Free Member

What hub is it? Many of them are a piece of p*ss to take apart and have a look

char34
    Free Member

pawls or pawl springs

qwerty
    Free Member

Spray copious amounts of WD40 around it whilst spinning it, nothing to loose.

Not frozen is it???

ontor
    Free Member

Strava started on the bike

there’s your problem 😉

It’s easy to take apart if it’s hope or the like – probably a sticky pawl – or it may be that some water has got into the freehub and the pawls have stuck in place. Very easy to fix.

br
    Free Member

I won’t be attempting to fix it, I’m just wondering what the problem is and if that’s normal wear and tear ?

Why not? Just take it apart and you’ll see why it doesn’t work. Then ask us how to fix it.

Next time, you’ll know and be more prepared.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The freehub is less than a year old and has only done about 1000 miles – that doesn’t sound much to me !

That’s Loads/Not a lot/some/quite a bit/hardly anything – mountain biking doesn’t go by the numbers like road bikes, it depends what, how & where you road how good/bad the seals are and some luck.

Whats the hub might be a 2 minute job.

mrelectric

I had a DTSwiss hub OEM AM1700 for Canyon where the freebub barrel began to rotate within the ratchet piece thingy . It was a clintch fit only. New hub in steel ok now but a poor design. Needed higher torque, got worse in the cold & was hard to track down.

mrelectric

I had a DTSwiss hub OEM AM1700 for Canyon where the freebub barrel began to rotate within the ratchet piece thingy . It was a clintch fit only. New hub in steel ok now but a poor design. Needed higher torque, got worse in the cold & was hard to track down.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘So I was about to go out and ….. no drive from the rear hub ?’ is closed to new replies.