• This topic has 2,850 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • nathb
    Free Member

You can do it!

Only use energy to get into a good spot towards the end, before unleashing.

I want a report of 1 point at least!!

nathb
    Free Member

This should be you:

crosshair
    Free Member

Lol! Now we’re talking 😆

Lovely evening for it!

gray

Good luck!

crosshair
    Free Member

I think I will keep it brief tonight!

The pressure was on of course! And deliberately so. By calling myself out beforehand, I hoped it would focus my attention.

I scheduled an easy day at work and ironically, a bit like with a rest day with no cycling, I felt rubbish because of it! I knew a good warm up would sort things out though and I did around 8 miles of gentle spinning.
    Sure enough, by the end, I was feeling good!

Pre-race I had done things slightly differently. I didn’t stop at the garage for chocolate and Lucozade Sport or even a recovery shake
    and instead just relied on what I had eaten today.
    Breakfast was scrambled egg on toast, early lunch was a full English breakfast at the Farm Park, later lunch was Tuna on toast and just before I left, I forced down some cornflakes although for some reason I wasn’t overly hungry by then lol

The place was rammed! I think Leigh said 80 for the 2/3 race and we were closer to 50 than 40 I think.
    There were a mix of old and new faces as I scanned the start line and I did laugh out loud at the earlier comment about the field being full of 80kg monsters- there were probably 30 riders fitting that description and I began to worry about the result. Too late now- just have to have faith in my fitness.

I started well back and soon found myself drifting right off of the back! I laughed out loud about the prospect of getting dropped. That would make a good write up if nothing else.
    I clung to the belief of prior experience that said it would be 25mph average with a 27mph final lap. And so it proved.

I had met Leigh in warmup- great to put a name to a face, you seemed to ride a smart race so well done mate.

Sticking to the bore-fest plan, I entertained myself by trying different lines at the top chicane. At one point, I got bellowed at by a group of guys who were convinced my inside line was going to wipe them out- never fear chaps, I’m Hillingdon educated don’t you know lol
    I kind of see their point- it did look like there was nowhere to go but I didn’t even need to stop pedalling.
    So I stuck to swooping around the outside instead.

I would generally come past the finish line in last place or so, take a drink, move up to top third at the chicane, drift backwards on the downhill and then climb the hill at the rear of the bunch.

Breaks were attempted but the only good one was when four guys who all looked strong got away. I was soooooo tempted! Nath’s wagging finger sprung to mind saying “Ah ah ah!” so I left it to the group to chase down.
    Leigh came moving up hard down the left hand side at this point and it looked like you were going to go for it and bridge! Sadly, common sense got the better of you too!

It was of course the right decision- it was all back together by the end.

A surge occurred with 2 to go and I moved up almost as a leg-opener and then drifted back again.
    The Bell lap came and I tried to stay in the top half but I can’t overstate how competitive it was. The whole bunch was too fresh!
    As I predicted in another post, loads of people would soon fade so I held my nerve.
    A slight mistake on the hill, meant I panicked and did an 1120w dig to get back on the wheel.

I made a decision tonight to only have my average power per lap on display so I don’t have a clue how hard I was going at that moment but as a result of all that laziness, I felt great!
    I spotted Leigh front right and just surfed through the bunch, making up places all the time.
    A brief ease for the chicane and then off again and any doubts I had about the competition seemed ill-founded. I was moving up hard and fast and had the front group in sight.

I had been building up to this all day and visualised it a thousand times and in my head there should have been a proper ‘Grrrrr!’ moment as I clenched the drops and sprinted for dear life but I just kind of found myself sprinting without realising.
    As I rounded one group, I moved from right to left seamlessly through the hole and sadly, I probably went half a meter too far to the left as I felt a noticeable whack of wind resistance. I pushed hard to the line, still moving forward and as I relaxed out of my sprint position, I was in second place.
    Sadly, this was 20m after the line and I reckon I crossed it in 12th or 13th.

Always the Bridesmaid!!!!

nathb
    Free Member

Nice write up!

Why do I have a wagging finger now, I’ve never wagged my finger haha.

In the 4s my “rush” came from a few false attacks, but mainly the last couple of laps, the rest was build/warmup. I’m glad you’re starting to see how I got addicted to the latter now.

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s just so dull! At least in a failed break you can pretend to be racing for a bit.
    Granted- moving forward through the pack at the finale was great! I enjoyed that a lot. I can see how with 4.6w/kg or whatever you used to have it would be even better 😆

My race-prep training session on Saturday was loads harder than tonight- which I guess is kind of the point 😀

I’m still not sure why I don’t get the full-on Neuromuscular sprint though. I more just ramp up constantly from 500w to 1000. I think I need to rehearse a few finishes.

crosshair
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/QDySGUFAom0[/video]

You popped up as a skinnier version of the Jurassic Park dude 😆

TiRed

Well done CH. Tonight’s 3/4 at Hillngdon was uneventful. I rode the E123. Stayed near the front, tried to bridge to the attack, but needed another 30 watts. Was off the bunch in no mans land for a lap or so. Worked hard on the chase, but to no avail. Attacked again with three. To go, but nuun sigma were having none of it. Tried for a sprint but I had little left. The HR trace tells me why. Fun though. Just need to recover for tomorrow’s TT.

nathb
    Free Member

I try and do sprints after 2-3 hours in the saddle, there’s a couple of short sharp hills that I use – perfect simulation.

crosshair
    Free Member

Awesome stuff TiRed! Sounds like you had fun!

crosshair
    Free Member

To be fair, the last three minutes of my Saturday Zwift ride after 90mins were very similar so perhaps I’m just expecting too much.

Zwift- 221w/251wNP for 90mins- last three minutes:

Thruxton- 223w/262wNP for 55mins- last three minutes:

Leigh2612
    Free Member

*checks BC for the hundredth time…..*
    CH cheers for the kind words. You seemed like a cool cucumber in the pack and very disciplined….I need to work on that!

crosshair
    Free Member

Way too much practice I guess 😆
    (Although not chasing that break cut me up inside 😉 )

The thing that really baffles me is the braking people do on the apex of that fast downhill right hander- it’s like they’re terrified of not being directly on someone’s wheel for a second so knock 5mph off of their speed instead!

I hate the way BC tells you you have a new result even though the results tab hasn’t been added 😆

Leigh2612
    Free Member

That annoys me too! I’ve got 2 showing at the moment and don’t seem to be able to do anything to clear them…!

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m gonna have to email them soon 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Ah ah!! We can see where Nath learnt his pack skills now 😆

And me my Aero position 😉 😆

nathb
    Free Member

😆

gray

You really need to charge your phone. HTH

TiRed

Guy in blue to the right looks good though 8) . May have been actually dying at that point. Don’t often get a suffer score of 120 from a 1hr race.

crosshair
    Free Member

Wow! Good work. My Thruxton race was 56 😆

TiRed

Slacker. I’m going to lower the bars by a cm which will slam them. The Propel has a long head tube and I’m a little more flexible. In the photos I’m on the drops throughout, so that’s actually more aero than spending half time on the hoods.

Really enjoyed the race, even though it all came to nothing. And it cost me on weds in the time trial, where I was about half a minute down.

Resting until Ride London (and a half) as I have a big commute each way)

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m gonna go Lazy++ again this week and try for a point and then if I get one, go back to trying random moves.
    I’m thinking if another four or five man break goes, I could bridge across, then recover whilst the bunch chases and then attack just before they make the catch. I’ve yet to hang it all out on the front and see what happens (although tests out training would suggest ‘not a lot!’ 😀 )

Then at the August Saturday 3/4 races it will be back to clinging on for dear life 😆

weeksy

I admire your determination CH… Although i do wonder what happens if/when you actually get the points…. Will that mean you’ve then acomplished and the desire dwindles ? Is there a longer term goal somewhere in there ?

crosshair
    Free Member

So the goal for the moment is one point. There’s plenty of racing left so hopefully that should happen.

Then rather than go after my Cat 3, the next goal is to try for a Cat4 win which I’m pinning my hopes on the Big Events race in October.

After that, I’d like to get my Cat3.

I really enjoy the racing because it’s so close. It’s taught me just how unfit I was and have been in previous years. In w/kg terms, I’ve gone from 3.2 to 3.7 and I won’t be far off of 4 by the time I get points enough to move up I think.
    But also, my riding (if not my position 😉 ) has improved so much too.
    If I’m honest- I could have probably become fitter a little quicker by not racing as much but I love the buzz of it.

It’s not really dedication- more addiction. It’s just bloody good fun ripping around on your bike. The carrot of a BC Point is just a bonus to make sense of it all I think.

crosshair
    Free Member

Also Weeksy, and as I’ve said before in here- it’s why TiReds list is so clever. It handicaps the challenges involved in racing.
    So Nath was able to tick off his list (apart from 10 😉 ) relatively quickly but now- he’s reset and has the fun of going after them all again at a higher level.

I guess the old truism about ‘it never gets easier, you just get faster’ applies to racing too. Nath, myself and Rupert Graham all started at the same time but are now poles apart. Ones winning the E,1,2,3 race, ones still stuck in Cat 4 and one only races on the computer 😆

nathb
    Free Member

Apart from I’ve only done 1 or 2 computer races in the last 2 months? 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Results are finally out and what an anti-climax: 13th again.

Well done Leigh 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Went to the local APR again this week, with the intention of going with the fast group, however chickened out at the last minute and stuck to my normal middle group.

As it turns out, the fast group had a super strong rider this week, and he made a solo break off the front of the fast group. Feeling nice and fresh on the climb as he came past I made the somewhat foolhardy decision to join him 😕

In the next 10 mins I progressively regretted my decision more and more, until eventually being ridden off the wheel – on a downhill! So at this point with my legs in tatters, and my lungs long since being deposited at the side of the road, I sat up for a couple of mins easy spinning until I was caught by the fast group.

Slotted into the middle of the group no problem, and carried on towards the finish. Knowing my legs weren’t up for contesting the punchy uphill finish any more, I took one final long hard pull on the front before drifting to the back (and nearly off the back) and following the last wheel to finish 15s or so down.

So overall, quite a good confidence boost, and one that lead me to the BC Events page, and running across a race that may actually suit me!
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/165762/Ochils-2/3/4
    7 laps of a relatively hilly course: https://www.strava.com/routes/32185

Legs may be ruined for the season by the time i’ve done NC500 late August, but if they are still working, and there’s still some spots, I may just get a race license and have a go

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

fifeandy, i’ve “raced” this course with the vet men before. It is worth a recce if you want to race it, very tight sharp left hander out of Glenfarg into a short steep climb. Riders all over the place with dropped or broken chains and some just going backwards still in the big ring. I decided never to race that course again after a number of horse incidents which split the field, as well as a running race on the same course on same day, combined with the addition of junior men into womens and vets field. It was never a course that suited me anyway but sounds like it’ll suit you, just make sure you are always in the top 10 to avoid incidents. Not trying to put you off, Kinross organize a good event.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yeah, i’d definitely recce it, its close enough to home to go ride a couple of laps as part of a weekend long ride.
    TBH, I wouldn’t say it suits me exactly, the climb is nowhere near long enough – but its better than most, and certainly better than a crit on an airfield!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DGOAB on the forum! Shut the front door!

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Cheers CH, when you said 12th on the day I thought I passed you on the straight (must have been your stunt double!) So I was dreaming of maybe a point…..at least it took an extra 2 days to get the results up for me to sweat on it…! Fairly happy with 14th for the big STW 13/14.

crosshair
    Free Member

I remember passing you somewhere near the chicane but had no idea after that lol
    I had hoped for 12th as it would have been a pb but knew it was tight.
    So close!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Fifeandy, two for next year might be battle of the braes and tour of the glens, good hilly courses. What about hill climb champs or up the kirk?

TSY just like old times minus Jamie and DD.

crosshair
    Free Member

No Thruxton this week so have entered Hillingdon as a training race with the only goal of making it a tough ride and not getting dropped in the process 😀

nathb
    Free Member

I’ll come down to watch after work – providing I can leave on time.

Full of a cold so can’t quite go as quickly as last time!

mrblobby
    Free Member

CH, was planning on a local TT but I may pop over for that if I can get away in time.

FWIW a mate of mine who was cat 4 at the beginning of the year just got his cat 2 from one of the recent ORRL road races. Impressive stuff. He’s not super powerful and doesn’t have a huge sprint, but he is very good at reading a race and being in the right place at the right time and picking up points. I’d put this down to doing a lot of race like training with his club.

crosshair
    Free Member

MtBlobby- awesome! Let me know if you want a lift, I can get two bikes in no problem.

The biggest problem with comparisons is context I guess. One mans ‘not very powerful’ is what another spends a whole season training towards 😉

I think race sim club rides would be awesome training and a good replacement for just racing a lot. Whether it’s safer, more motivating or more enjoyable or even at a time suitable for your schedule all factor in of course.

For me, i want to be racing every week right now so I think a look at the other Cat races tells me whether I’m in the right place or not. Would I be active in the Thruxton 28 mph 2/3 race? Uh no 😀
    Am I active in the Hillingdon 3/4 race? Just about.
    Am active in a Cat 4 only? Yes at last 🙂

jb89
    Free Member

mrblobby –
    FWIW a mate of mine who was cat 4 at the beginning of the year just got his cat 2 from one of the recent ORRL road races. Impressive stuff. He’s not super powerful and doesn’t have a huge sprint, but he is very good at reading a race and being in the right place at the right time and picking up points. I’d put this down to doing a lot of race like training with his club.

Circa 285/290w for 20 mins in fact. So no excuse for those 300+!!! 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this’ is closed to new replies.