• This topic has 2,850 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • nathb
    Free Member

How come @weeksy?

These are just pub numbers – don’t really translate into racing, all my numbers quoted are from strava estimates as I didn’t have a PM with me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Strava estimated power calculator… 🙂

Getting your fitness up to a level where you stick in with the bunch is an easier goal

It’s not even fitness really, it’s just learning how to read the race so you can ride more efficiently.

Indeed, i could install a 500W motor and still never trouble 1400.

With the motor I might get close 🙂

gray

I managed 1kW for a couple of seconds yesterday. I was doing a zone 2 ride but got a bit bored 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I redeemed myself though in the 2x 200m sprint races with 1470w and 1459w maximums respectively.

Makes mental note to ensure that CH is out the back before the last lap 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

If a fast guy or two throw a few attacks in- that seems inevitable 😆

weeksy

I won’t attack then if you ask nicely 😈

crosshair
    Free Member

Please do! The sooner you’re back to the car the better 😆

nathb
    Free Member

I detect some rivalry! 😆

weeksy

LOL i think that’s been well established in advance.

The rivalry is there and in full effect. If we ride and CH gets dropped and i last even 2 sec longer than him, that’s an absolute win for me 🙂
    It’s funny, i may not even see him when i’m out there, but he’ll be at the forefront of my thoughts when i’m not thinnking of how i’m about to die anyway.

I gave the Isaac the once over yesterday… It’s all running nicely and sweetly. I still can’t get all 10 gears on the way down with the Campag, but it’s only 9th i miss…. I can’t see myself needing 9th on a flat course though so i can live with it, if i really really need 9th i can hit the button and quickly trim it back, so no massive issue.

Left have been resting since Tues arvo, but i may need to cycle 10 miles into Newbury later to get my car.. but i’ll likely talk Mrs Weeksy into giving me a lift. My right leg calf muscle isn’t quite 100% at the moment, but it’s close enough. After this weekend and the weekend afters races i’m going to get back into stretching after riding, i stopped for a while due to tweaking the muscles, which either co-incided with me getting the foam roller/stretching or me adjusting the seat position. At the time i set the seat back, plus stopped the rollering/stretching, so i’m not sure which has helped. But i’d like to give the stretching/rollering another go. But not yet as i don’t want to risk it leading up to the 2 big events.

crosshair
    Free Member

Here come the excuses 😀

I’m not losing any sleep over it- I’m just impressed you’ve signed up for it. No doubt you’ll stay in bed if it’s a bit cloudy anyway 😉 😆

weeksy

I’ve resigned myself to the fact i may be getting wet. The actual handling in the wet and cornering etc concerns me a lot more than the actual rain/dirt. I’ll be there though buddy… i’m all ready.

I’m losing sleep, pretty much every bloody night !

tiim
    Free Member

Good luck this weekend ‘Team STW’ lets get Nathb those extra few points so he leaves us 4s in piece 🙂

I shall not be around this time as I am away learning to build a frame at Downland cycles (A long aimed for trip).

Looking for some more races later in the year, once I can actually finish in the pack I’m prepared to travel a bit more.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have fun with the frame building tiim. Would love to do that sometime.

Spent a bit of time last night building up the bike for the weekend. Might be ready in time. Did it while watching Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne on the telly and getting some inspiration from a rampant Sagan 😉

scaredypants

and getting some inspiration from a rampant Sagan

forget it; you’ll need way more than a week to grow hair & beard to match that

crosshair
    Free Member

There’s almost enough of us to just blockade the front of the bunch leaving Nath free to TT to victory 🙂

weeksy

I’ll be honest with you mate.. IF and i of course mean IF i’m there at the end, one of you two will be getting a lead out until my heart explodes 🙂
    It’s all fantasy of course…. but by golly …. i’ll do my best for you lads if i happen to be in that position.

crosshair
    Free Member

Seriously- take the road bike out and ride at 28-30mph solo for a couple of minutes- then come back here with a reality check 😆

nathb
    Free Member

Too much pressure!!

At the mo I’m 50/50 whether I’m going to race – had a cracking migraine since Wednesday morning… 😡

fifeandy
    Free Member

At the mo I’m 50/50 whether I’m going to race

Attack from the gun, pain in the legs will soon eclipse the pain in the head 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

To much sprinting on Tuesday night 😉

weeksy

take the road bike out and ride at 28-30mph solo for a couple of minutes

If i could do that i’d be attacking from lap 1 !

mrblobby
    Free Member

At the mo I’m 50/50 whether I’m going to race – had a cracking migraine since Wednesday morning…

Nooo! Good chance to get your 3rd cat. Hope it clears.

take the road bike out and ride at 28-30mph solo for a couple of minutes

Do it for over 20 mins you’ll make a decent time trial rider 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

@Weeksy- Lol! Hardly- the race is a bit longer than that! Seriously- that will give you a feel of the surges involved.

My new favourite saying- you don’t get dropped because you can’t ride at 25mph for 50mins. You get dropped because you can’t ride at 30mph for two 😉

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Took the stupid decision of:
    A) Going to work
    B) Cycling to work – thought the cold air may help. Turns out every bump felt like banging my head against a wall!!

If I don’t race I’ll be there for support, banter & sympathy haha!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Know some on here like their numbers, so thought I’d post this…

By the numbers: What does it take to be competitive at the cobbled semi-classics?

Based on pro data from the first two cobbled classics.

While some of us may be able to hit some of those numbers for those durations, doing it in the context of a 5 hour race is something entirely different!

crosshair
    Free Member

Met office app saying 6mph southerly and cloudy at the mo….

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks very good for Saturday. Friday looks dismal I shakedown ride for bike build might be the race!

nathb
    Free Member

Those numbers are difficult to relate too @mrblobby, but very impressively non the less!!

Shouldn’t mention the weather pre race guys, you know the rules 😆

I’ve just changed my stem to a 120mm one, annoyingly its not as deep as my old one so I’ve had to stick an extra 5mm of spacer above it. 😥

No time to test I’ve set it right as I’m out for dinner straight after work tomorrow.

Migraine appears to be shifting 🙂

weeksy

Whats your thoughts on in-race punctures guys ? Do you take a tube, whip it off and replace withing the 2 mins or so lap you’re granted ? Or is it simply game over ? Just sorting all my kit out for tomorrow, so wondering if i want to be having a tube in my jacket to replace ? Sure, if it happens in warmup then i’ll swap assuming i’ve for enough time. I’ve removed the MTB peak from my spare helmet 🙂 so i won’t look quite as green as i would have 🙂

Gearing checked, pedals checked, everything i can do has been done.
    All that’s left to do is get on the bike and pedal.

crosshair
    Free Member

There’s no lap-out rule anymore (although the comms at Hillingdon Imperial allowed it for this year as they said it was ambiguous) so either grab a spare wheel from the start/finish and rejoin for the experience or call it a day get ready to watch Nath’s sprint. Not worth carrying anything…..

weeksy

OK, coolio. When you say ‘grab a spare wheel’ i assume you mean one of my own ? Not that they have random spare wheels sitting there ready just in case ?

I have a spare rear, but i don’t have a tyre for it 🙂 So wouldn’t really help me.

I’m also having an internal debate on what to do when i get spat out the back. Do i try and hang on until lapped but still at my own version of ‘race pace’ or do i do what you’ve recently started with and ease until caught again and then have another try at holding on… Or indeed, do i just call it a day at the time of being dropped… I guess a lot will depend on how i feel, who if anyone gets spat out when i do etc etc… I’m not really sure i’ll know what i may or may not do until it happens.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m also having an internal debate on what to do when i get spat out the back.

Obviously 1 crucial element in that decision.
    Has CH been dropped yet? If no, leap in car and go home asap claiming some mystery ailment. If yes, keep at it as a finish is worth bragging rights 😛

mrblobby
    Free Member

Obviously 1 crucial element in that decision.
    Has CH been dropped yet? If no, leap in car and go home asap claiming some mystery ailment. get back to the car, let the air out of one of the tyres, and claim you were going well, finding it easy, and probably on for some points until you got a bloody puncture!

🙂

gray

All this talk is making me wish that I was joining in… next year I promise! Best of luck to all of you – hope you have a great time.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m sadly lacking in excuses this week!!

I haven’t trained through…
    I’m not ill…..
    I don’t have a meeting to go to afterwards…..
    My bike is in full working order….

Must try harder 🙁

crosshair
    Free Member

@Weeksy- there are normally some neutral wheels kicking around…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

I haven’t trained through…
    I’m not ill…..
    I don’t have a meeting to go to afterwards…..
    My bike is in full working order….

Hmm…

Been quite a hard week of training… tick
    I have a cold and sore throat… tick
    I have kids activities I need to get back for… tick
    My bike is still half built… tick

I’m sorted for excuses 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

See, you’re a better Crit racer than you thought 😆

nathb
    Free Member

Come on guys, shouldn’t mention that P word!!

@weeksy – peaks aren’t allowed anyway I don’t think.

@all – I’ve got a good list of excuses at the ready 😆

I’ll be in my standard red jersey with white stripes tomorrow so easily identifiable – say hello 🙂

Tactics wise – hopefully the lack of 16 mph winds means that normal tactics apply. Sit and do nothing for 38 mins then engage…

weeksy

LOL if i’m going to puncture or not, it won’t be because i wrote something on the internet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this’ is closed to new replies.