• This topic has 2,850 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • nathb
    Free Member

No worries @CH

I know it’s a bit of a trek but Richmond Park has been fundamental in my training. It’s relatively safe so one can stick a headphone in, there’s plenty of other cyclists to benchmark against, the hill is short and sharp so perfect for sprinting, there’s flat bits to practice aero sprints etc etc.

You just have to watch for the occasional idiot in a car who is cutting through the park, deer running in your path and strava weekend warriors who overtake in really lame places…

weeksy

I know it’s a bit of a trek but Richmond Park has been detrimental in my training

Wrong word in there ?

nathb
    Free Member

Haha 😳 that’ll teach me for walking on icey pavements typing away!

Edited 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good helmet sub £100? It doesn’t need to be a crossover type- I’ll keep my old one for MTBing so just mainly for Crit racing.

nathb
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Go aero. Sigmasport doing good deals on a Synthe right now. You can also get Air Attacks pretty cheaply these days.

crosshair
    Free Member

Doh! Me and my fat head. Sigma only have mediums.

mrblobby
    Free Member
    nathb
    Free Member

That’ll be warm in summer?!

crosshair
    Free Member
    nathb
    Free Member

😯 😯 😯 😯

weeksy

Robocop !

mrblobby
    Free Member

The visor is thankfully removable 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

You’ll be looking at skin suits next 😆

weeksy

The visor is thankfully removable

Maybe so, but he’ll still be known as Murphy forever if he gets it !

crosshair
    Free Member

I like it! Reminds me of my Caberg flip up m/c helmet with built in visor 😀

weeksy

nathb
    Free Member

crosshair
    Free Member

😀

crosshair
    Free Member

So Micky taking aside, is it appropriate or not?

nathb
    Free Member

Personally I think it’ll be bloody hot under there! I like my mojito, it was great in summer last year. Even if it does cost a few W in the wind tunnel department..

If you’ve got £100 burning a hole in your pocket some deeper rims may help you more?!

crosshair
    Free Member

No- it’s my birthday soon so thought I’d get somethin I wouldn’t normally bother with.

nathb
    Free Member

Oh haha.

I hear full length gloves are handy in winter 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

So Micky taking aside, is it appropriate or not?

I’ve got an Air Attack (not with a visor!) I like it, it’s my day to day helmet. I’ve never found it too warm, at least not in the UK. Worth a few watts over a vented helmet. And it’s not that expensive. TiRed wears one too I believe 😉

TiRed

I raced an Air Attack for two seasons, well technically I raced two, because I crashed one at the last Winter Series Race through a metal sign, and slammed the second into the road over the bars in a Surrey League Race. Lost consciousness temporarily both times, but no lasting head injuries or even concussion. If you have a Giro-shaped head, they are an excellent helmet and size the same as their other helmets (I’m a medium). Not at all hot in summer, believe it or not. Nicely crash proof, and they are aero, and you do notice the difference head down into the wind. Not as aero as a skin suit, mind.

I haven’t replaced the bright yellow one yet. I chose white for kit matching first time around, then yellow for easy spotting in photos 😳 . They are superb, but I’ll probably go with a Synth this season, just because a few of our team are now wearing silver/white ones. My head is not Kask shaped.

crosshair
    Free Member

I don’t really feel the cold lol
    I normally wear my Sealskinz shooting gloves for Brass Monkeys and endurance rides but 50 adrenaline packed minutes aren’t really worth worrying about 😉

Cool, thanks all. I think I’ll give it a shot. The Yellow one would match the TFC kit 😀

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not as aero as a skin suit, mind

I don’t think STW is quite ready for crosshair in a skinsuit 😛

crosshair
    Free Member

Don’t start 😀 Next investment will be a whole new build. Ive just bought a wheel anyway 😉

Yay! In for Saturday now 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Woo see you Saturday then!

You going to go for that build then? Ready for April? 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Let’s see how the rest of the series goes 😉

nathb
    Free Member

CH, was it this guy you were talking to?

http://www.davehaywardphotos.com/Cycling/Cycling-Circuits-/Imperial-Winter-Series-E12-3rd/i-2NS5ZwG/A

I think that’s Rupert Graham – the guy who lapped the 4s in the first two races, a legend!

Looks like he upgraded his ride too: http://www.hughesartandphotos.com/Photos/Cycling/Cycling-20162017/IWS-2016-2017/Imperial-Winter-Series-1/IWS-2016-7-1-MenCat4/i-Cq93qT5/A

mrblobby
    Free Member

That guy doesn’t look like your typical cat 4 rider!

nathb
    Free Member

How come @mrblobby?

Have you seen how pro I look out on the bike 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

You won’t be cat 4 for long 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Ah yes, of course it was him!! I thought he looked familiar 😀

nathb
    Free Member

(I was joking at me looking pro lol)

Quite happy in cat 4s for the IWS! E123 looks scary haha.

If I ever do get to 3s then I know if he can’t do it I definitely can’t!! 😈

If I do get up to 3s I’m going to add a splash of colour to my bike.. but where? 😆

weeksy

I doubt it will come as much of a shock to anyone who knows me, but after seeing the recent potential Garmin/Stages/Bkool data, i’m giving this serious consideration for an afternoon out.

Sure, i’m a big lad, as a big lad even on the small hill i’m going to be destroyed by the lightweights…But i’m hoping too that if the power calculations are where they seem to be the on the flat i may just be able to hang a wheel for a lap or 2…. Maybe…. maybe maybe…

I’ve emailed the race secretary to see what i do or don’t need regarding a British Cycling licence, as i don’t have one and they’re about £40 that i don’t really have spare right now after an expensive heating problem at home… but if we can overcome that aspect of things AND when the new Wahoo arrives it shows me in a 45 mins Zwift race that i can put out 300w or more for the total, then what have i actually got to lose by giving it a go? Worst case, i go out, i do 1 lap being able to hang in there on pure power and i get blown out and am never seen at Hillingdon again LOL… at least i’ll know… at least i’ll have given it a try.

Until this last few days i’ve been of the logic of “if i can’t get anywhere near Crosshairs times on Zwift, then why would it be any different in the real world…” The simple answer is, it wouldn’t be… i’d be bombed out the back very quickly…. But if i can see in actual terms when running the Wahoo, i can get closer to him… Then why not.

nathb
    Free Member

Last week after E123s CH & jesper got out on the course for a few laps until hunger got the better of them.

But maybe worth bringing your bike down and seeing what you can do a lap in on your own, or even on mine/CH wheel, as a simple benchmark?

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this’ is closed to new replies.