Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • So I want a Whyte 529/629…
  • cookeaa

But just the frame.
    I’d really like to build one up this coming winter as I’ve finally decided to chop in 26″ wheels when summer is over, I will be replacing an ancient 456-SS with a waggon-wheeler.

The 529 looks to have the sort of geometry, layout and ideally a reduction in weight that I’d want, unfortunately Whyte aren’t selling it as a bare frame, and I’d like to build one up…

So aside from watching ebay/classifieds for a 2nd hand frame, what are my other options?

I’m after a Cheap “Trail HT 29er” frame; Long, Low, Slackish (~66/67deg HA) for use with a 120-130mm fork, probably Aluminium just to keep weight and price sensible, what else is out there like the Whyte?

z1ppy

what chance of finding a whyte… you have none, I’ve been searching for around 2 years, to replace my medium 929 with a large 5/629 (though wasn’t desperate), and like you didn’t want the extra heft of steel.
    Decided that the 2016 version was around about perfect geometry, then the 2017 version appeared and appealed to my inner child (just put a slackset on my FS). I’m hoping that the 2018 version is unchanged, as I’ve just acquired a 2017 529 frame from a a fellow forum user..
    There are lots of 2015 (or earlier) about, but finding a 2016 is like gold dust, or you have to act quick, as missed out a couple of BIN ebay sale by dithering. You don’t tend to find them frame only, as the level of kit is quite poor (IMO), and the majority I think are bought by the “bike to work” crowd, trying to sell there little used bike for premium prices

cokie

For what it’s worth- I love mine. Go to bike for me (despite having some other nice metal in the garage). Very competent bike and love the geometry. I do about 100-120 miles a week on it of mixed riding. Originally bought as a winter hack, but that soon changed.

I did the same thing- sold off everything and built it up as a frame only. Very pleased. I opted for the Whyte because the geo seemed spot on. I haven’t seen anything out there that compares for this price point. I’ve built it up with Sram/Shimano 1×11, Pikes, Hope hoops, dropper and wide bars. Perfect. I think the whole build is around £1350 and perfect.

With the Whyte 2018 range just being released, you might get a discount on the 529..

Either way, worth it.

[Renton has a large frame sitting in his garage. Whether he’s selling, I don’t know..]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

..renton’s is sold 😉

I enquired about a brand new one, but Whyte themselves are out of stock, not to say that your LBS (or others) might still have an unsold one.

cokie

Congrats Z1ppy! Awesome bike. You’ll love it. You also got a lightly used & clean example 😛

NormalMan

Have a word with Mboy on here. He knows Whyte stuff really well.

cookeaa

Well this is the thing, I thought I was being stupid Whyte can’t be the only company making a frame like the 529…

I did spot Evans are currently doing their Ramin 4 frame for just £100, its listed as having a 69* HA but with a 480mm A-C rigid fork, which would go back a bit with a ~530mm suspension fork, and further still with an angle-set perhaps, but then so would the ~72* Seat angle, it seems like it’s intended more for those rigid forks, I’m discounting that idea as it’s more like polishing a turd than getting the right frame first time…

The Dartmoor Primal seemed like an option, but again the angles are a shade more upright at the Headtube and slack at the Seat tube than the 529…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

renton’s is sold

So much for him getting some decent mileage on it….

z1ppy

cookeaa – totally, there nothing quite like it, hense my patience stalking.

Nobeerinthefridge, hey don’t blame me for that!
    I’m gunna abuse it! 😈

StuF

Buy the whole bike and flog the parts you don’t want?

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/79639/Whyte_629_29er_2016_Bike

cookeaa

Tempting, but that’s the 2016 frame, didn’t the HA go back a degree from 2016-2017? that’s kind of the frame I want…

I know I’m being a picky bugger, but this is going to be a Winter build project, I’d rather start from a bare frame, plus some bits I’m likely to carry over and assemble than buy a whole bike and probably end up just riding that as it comes for a bit…

renton
    Free Member

Yep mine is sold, hopefully to someone that can appreciate it more than I did.

I just couldn’t get on with it, not the bike in particular but hardtails in general.

Get some pics up Z1ppy.(nice meeting you the other night BTW)

renton
    Free Member

Cookeaa the head angle got slacker from 16-17 plus reach got longer !

The new 2018 model 529 is the same colour but the 629 is in a much better colour than the 2017 model.

If you can get on with a hard tail then go for it.

cookeaa

Cheers all.

@Renton/Z1ppy;
    If it’s not too cheeky to ask what sort of price does a used 2017 whyte 529 frame change hands for?

Just so I know for future reference…

pigyn
    Free Member

*shameless promotion but also I love them*
    One of these? I am just about swap my parts over from a Loki to try something a bit slacker.

http://pedalsbikecare.co.uk/shop/2017-ns-eccentric-djambo-evo-alu-2927-5/

Slack, long, low, fun, cheap..

coomber
    Free Member

Those ns frames look brilliant.

z1ppy

Indeed, wasnt aware of Ali NS, TT is a bit small in large but overall if I’d known of them, I’d have considered it.
    Cookeaa, email in the profile

Renton good to meet you too, HT build isn’t a major priority, but will sort it soon enough & post the obligatory pictures.

Poopscoop

Glad I dipped in this thread.

Love that NS Eccentric Djambo frame (in black).

Might have just found my Winter 29er HT frame!

cookeaa

Hmmm, that NS Djambo is a contender perhaps.

Cheers Z1ppy, Renton already PM’d me.

Northwind

Hah, I was tempted to get my offer in on Renton’s the day he said he’d bought it 😆 Never ridden one but they look like bloody brilliant bikes with pretty half-assed parts attached.

That Djambo looks sound

balfa
    Free Member

Love the look of the NS Djambo. Shame they don’t do it in an XL! 🙁

leythervegas
    Free Member

Sent you a pm Cookea

cookeaa

Yet more digging found this:
    Octane one ‘Prone 29’

Don’t really know the brand, but weight and angles are in the ballpark, only thing is the TT seems a bit shorter size for size, but for £200 it’s certainly affordable…

Northwind

Ooh, interesting- Octane One are a relative of NS IIRC.

Bit short of wheelbase/long of seat tube, I want the seat tube of the small and the reach of the medium or large, not sure I’d get away with going up a size…

(the reach is pretty middle-of-road, i think the TT’s just short because it’s got a reasonably steep seat angle)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘So I want a Whyte 529/629…’ is closed to new replies.