Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • So I upgraded my drivetrain…
  • medoramas
    Free Member

I run 3x 10 on my Merida. It came with nice Deore M612 crankset, which has done about 20k km’s with one replacement of the big and middle ring. I’ve also been running Deore 11-36t cassette, Deore chain and BB.

I had to refresh the chain and cassette, but due to some awesome offers and discount codes I managed to source an SLX crankset with BB (the same ratio as M612), M540 pedals (the old M520 did not want to come off the old cranks…), SLX cassette and XT chain – and I still much paid less than a RRP of the crankset itself.

It’s all looks very nice and shiny, also (as expected from fresh components) it runs and shifts perfectly.

But while working on the bike I did a little test – I weighted everything that was coming off and the new bits, with the same configuration (chain links number, spacer on the BB and all that little things). And it turned out, that I have reduced a weight of my bike by a massive… 106 grams. 😀

If I had to pay a full price for the bits I would be a bit upset, haha! My plan wasn’t to reduce the weight in a first place, but to basically refresh the ride – all the weighting was just a sort of experiment. However it proved one thing in which I always believed in – Deore Uber Alles! 😉

djglover
    Free Member

Cool story bro

molgrips
    Free Member

That sounds about right tbh.

globalti
    Free Member

I spent about 3 hours swopping the old Ultegra 6700 gears and brakes on my roadie for new 6800…. I’m amazed at the improvement in braking and shifting; it’s given the bike a whole new character and the 11 speed cassette has slightly closer ratios, which I like.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You replaced your transmission and are now upset about something you didn’t care about before you bought it?

You’re in the right place.

medoramas
    Free Member

Scienceofficer if you read my post carefully, you’ll find a bit where I said that I would be a bit upset if I had to pay the full price for the items. 8) But because I didn’t – I am more than happy with the “upgrade”! 😀

It looks awesome.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘So I upgraded my drivetrain…’ is closed to new replies.