Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • So I thought to myself, if anyone would know, it'd be the STW crew
  • aa
    Free Member

At what age is it appropriate to have a child as a passenger on a scooter (vespa type thing). Is here a legal age minimum? ta

iDave
    Free Member

I assume you’re not in Mongolia?

Mr_C
    Free Member

There are only three stipulations for pillion passengers in the U.K. –

1) They must wear a correctly fitted, safety approved helmet.
    2) They must be able to comfortably reach the foot-pegs (and if that means raising the foot-peg mounting points to accommodate a child on the pillion seat, that is perfectly legal).
    3) If they are under the age of 17, they must have a parent or guardian’s consent to ride as a passenger on the motorcycle.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There you go – someone knew

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There you go – someone knew

And it wasn’t a medical professional.

Mr_C
    Free Member

And it wasn’t a medical professional.

I used to be, if it helps.

And that picture what iDave posted – that’s perfectly legal assuming the baby’s hat is CE marked.

grantway
    Free Member

Think the passenger would have to be 18 years of age.
    Unsure if the rider would have to have a full motor cyclist licence too
    rather than riding off of a car licence.

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mag-uk.org%2Fcontent%2Fpr%2F2004%2Faugust%2Fpillion_riders_aug04.doc&rct=j&q=pillion%20riders%20law&ei=ZFxoTu6FNcjA8QOs54TdCw&usg=AFQjCNHR4GZFYqJzFYgZPesJC1_eRNv5BA

there is no minimum age for a child to ride as a pillion passenger on a motor cycle. The decision remains with the rider, who is legally responsible for ensuring that the child is safely supported. Existing legislation places a number of controls on the carrying of pillion passengers

Only motorcyclists who have passed a motorcycle test can carry passengers. (Regulation 16 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999)

The machine must be equipped with suitable supports or rests for the feet of the pillion passenger. (Regulation 102 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986)

Pillion passengers must be capable of sitting astride a proper seat securely fixed to the motorcycle.

This may require specific adaptations to accommodate young children. (Section 23(2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988)

A pillion passenger must wear a safety helmet. (Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998)

The decision to carry a passenger on a motorcycle remains with the rider, who is legally responsible for ensuring that the passenger is safely supported. (Section 23(3) of the Road Traffic Act 1988)

Any passenger must be carried in a manner so that no danger is caused, or likely to be caused, to any per son on the vehicle or on the road. (Regulation 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986)

It is an offence to use a vehicle when the number of passengers, or the manner in which they are carried, is such that it involves a danger of injury to any person. (Section 8 of the Road Traffic Act 1991)

tomaso
    Free Member

You need a full license to carry a pillion. Although the pillion’s feet need to touch the pegs you can buy riser kits that lift the footpegs up. You can also buy a harness that tie the pillion onto the rider.

An old mate of mine used to nip to shops from his mountain home in Wales down a long gravel double track and unclassified road to the village shop with his 6 month old boy zipped up in the front of his jacket.

I’ve no intention of taking mine on the back for a while although I do threaten to when the mother in law winds me up as it drives her f#*!in potty :mrgreen:

nmdbase
    Free Member

Stupid idea IMO

rocketman
    Free Member

Used to regularly take rocket jr to school on the motorbike from the age of 5 onwards.

mogrim

FWIW in Spain it’s from 7 onwards if it’s with the father/mother, and from 12 if not.

I take my kids on the back of my bike every now and then, and have since it was legal. I’m not sure I’d have wanted to take a kid much smaller on the back, although that’d depend a bit on the road I suppose. As long as they don’t wriggle too much, and know how to hold on. Don’t forget their arms might not be long enough to go round you, so you need a decent belt or a backrest. And if you’re going with the belt you need to be careful they don’t loosen their grip too much just before you decide to overtake…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘So I thought to myself, if anyone would know, it'd be the STW crew’ is closed to new replies.