Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • So I sneezed and now I can't move.
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Driving home this afternoon and I sneezed, instant back pain/spasm smack bang in between my shoulder blades. Couldn’t drive anymore and the wife had to take over. I’m posting this from my deathbed in agony hoping someone can suggest a miracle cure/confirm I’ve not contracted the dreaded cat aids.

I can’t take ibuprofen as they play havoc with my guts.

Ps the wife thinks it’s hilarious. Cheers love.

MrOvershoot

Ummm I have a friend that slipped a disk sneezing!

Please seek some proper medical help not STW cat aids pseudo doctor stuff

sweepy
    Free Member

If she’s anything like my wife she finds it hilarious now, by tomorrow you will be ‘milking it’ and she will have the hump.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Go to the nearest walk in and get checked out, back problems aren’t to be trifled with.

ton

customer sneezed whilst walking into my work, fell to the floor in agony, turned out that he slipped a disc.

tjagain

Its not uncommon to have severe back pain after sneezing. You “whiplash” your spine when you sneeze Personally unless you want some prescription only painkillers I wouldn’t bother the NHS at this point. give it a few days to ease and if it doesn’t go to your GP. why? because there is little treatment for back pain.

Most cases of back pain do not require medical attention and can be treated with over-the-counter painkillers and self-care.

However, you should visit your GP if you are worried about your condition or struggling to cope with the pain.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Back-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Get in the plank position ! endure the pain, in fact enjoy the pain, plank that pain away !

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have three prolapsed discs, sneezing scares me silly. I have to adopt a plane crash brace position when the a sneeze is pending.

Sandwich

The first question asked when you contact the GP with back problems will be about your bowels. If you still have control not too big a thing if you become incontinent you’ll be seeing a surgeon really quickly.

StirlingCrispin

If anything, and I mean anything, is numb get to A&E now.

If not, get to a doctor ASAP.

tjagain

Or perhaps read the NHS advice I posted above and take a rational decision based on that. Unless there is obvious nerve damage all a GP will do is give you painkillers and tell you to keep moving. Why – because thats the treatment for back pain.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I slept on a rickety camp bed on a slope a few weeks back, woke up one morning in agony, lower back pain right down into leg, was mental – had to hop, couldn’t even bend to put shoe on. I got two burly friends to alternately lift me off the ground so my weight could hang/stretch spine. First one arms interlocked back to back, they bent forward – arching my back until my feet left the floor. Some slight relief. Second attempt, I crossed arms, they embraced me from behind and leaned backwards lifting me for a few seconds. I felt something ‘go’. I was walking again! Almost instant relief. Disclaimer – am not a doctor/medical practitioner and so cannot recommend any of this.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks, will give it a few days and see how it goes. Just can’t get comfy or keep still. The wife thinks it’s hilarious having to help me off the couch.

Nothing is numb, just very sore. It seems to be more in my right trap now, I imagine it’s going to be worse in the morning.

bigG
    Free Member

Borrow someone’s TENS machine, those little electronic pulses sort my back out quickly and with no drugs.

Last time mine went into spasm I was in the shower, my wife was equally amused by my Richard the Third type hunching around as I tried to dry myself..

chakaping
    Free Member

Take some valium if you have any kicking about.

IANAD.

senorj

Drink Guinness until the pain eases.

MoreCashThanDash

I have to adopt a plane crash brace position when the a sneeze is pending.

My lower back is a weak spot and since a terrible sneezing incident at work I “prepare” when I feel one coming on.

As above, it will ease off in a few days. Then maybe see a physio to see if there is an underlying cause/weakness that needs addressing to prevent a recurrence.

Previous highlights of back problems for me include having to crawl to the toilet for a pee and barely being able to aim over the edge of the bowl 😳 and those mornings when your back is so tight you can’t reach round to wipe your arse….

Bear
    Free Member

Tore a hole in my throat somewhere sneezing, got to be careful…….

zippykona

Press your filtrum(?) really hard ,til your eyes water, and that will stop sneezes.
    Was invaluable when I broke my collar bone.
    I,ve done my lower back. Have been icing it,I feel some cat stretches will be nice.
    Good idea or not?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I gave myself whiplash last year sneezing, where my trap meets my neck it was uber painful especially when trying to sleep, it look about two months to get over it. I think I must be a ferocious sneezer as I often get a dead feeling in my left arm like I’m about to have a heart attack.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have three prolapsed discs

Shit dude, I do NOT envy you! Actually I do a little. I have seen your house 😉

doris5000

my wife was equally amused by my Richard the Third

😯

i wish my wife found my bowel movements that amusing

revs1972
    Free Member

Second attempt, I crossed arms, they embraced me from behind and leaned backwards lifting me for a few seconds. I felt something ‘go’. I was walking again! Almost instant relief.

Sounds like an Alan Partridge sketch. 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

sounds like the onset of cat aids.

jools182
    Free Member

I sometimes get muscle spasms in my ribs on one side after sneezing. It’s also happened when falling off the bike. Don’t you just love the ageing process?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sounds like an Alan Partridge sketch.

Even better, being Spanish he shouted ‘Olé!!’ at the point of release. Am quite certain that translates as ‘A-ha!!’

WillH

Back when my wife and I were courting, she sneezed whilst ironing an item of clothing one morning, and tore one of her intercostal muscles in the process. Hit the deck in agony, squawking for help. Having recently got out of the shower she was only wearing a towel, and refused to let me ring for help until she’d got dressed. And she needed a wee too, so I had to carry her to the loo, then the bedroom, dress her, then ring the doctor (after all this messing about we at least realised it wasn’t an emergency, so didn’t need to ring 999).

The doc did a house call, gave her a prescription for diclofenac and said to stay in bed until it got better. Given that she was in agony just with breathing, it was an uncomfortable few days until she could move again.

So, while a torn muscle is thoroughly unpleasant, it’s way better than a knackered disc, so here’s hoping it’s just that!

edward2000
    Free Member

Nobody said MTFU?

franksinatra

Longstanding back issues here, going back to hitting a wall whilst playing squas about 20 years ago. Didn’t get physio at the time, everything stiffened up or isolated itself and I still have problems on and off now.

Last time it ‘went’ I was on silly painkillers and totally off the scale sore. It was like I had been shot and did actually pass out at one point. Nighttime was the worst so I decided to become a temporary alcoholic to see me through the night. It really worked. I opted for Strathisla but any quality single malt will do.

Stick with spirits though as less chance of needing a wee in the night.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘So I sneezed and now I can't move.’ is closed to new replies.