Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • So I serviced my forks and now they top out with a clunk! Why?
  • Mugboo

I am attempting to sort out a knackered set of forks for a mate.

They worked fine but the stanchions were kaput.

I have put some second hand stanchions that are the same size on. They are Fox Float 140RL

I closely followed the instructions on the Fox website including getting the old oil out of the damper.

I have put 160ml in the damper side and 30ml in the air side. I guestimated the the float fluid in the top of the air side.

They go up and down smoothly but they top out with a metallic thunk. What have i done wrong? 😳

kaiser
    Free Member

on rockshox it’s often the negative air pressure needs topping up/ resetting.no experience with fox i’m afraid

Onzadog
    Free Member

My guess would be that you haven’t cycled them enough for the damper unit to fill with oil. Just bounce up and down on them a while on full rebound setting and it will pull oil into the unit.

Of course, if this was a while back and you’ve done a lot of riding on them and things haven’t improved, my advice is useless.

Or, have you got the correct combination of springs and spacers in there? Is there any unrestricted travel in them or is it just that there’s a bit of fast rebound at the top?

Mugboo

They are freshly rebuilt and I just put things back in as I found them. I did wonder if the oil just hadn’t reached the right bits yet..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Then it’s certainly worth trying to cycle the cartridge 20 times on full rebound. That should sort it.

Mugboo

Excuse the stupid question but is that slowest or fastest setting? Does it make any difference which way up?

jedi

rebound fully slow

Mugboo

Cheers.

Tried a few times both ways. I’ll go try again..

Mugboo

Right, so I have done that 25 times on slow and still no luck!

Should I have less air in so I can get them lower?

If it helps the lockout works?

What’s my next move?

andrewh
    Free Member

Had this issue on Magura Durins. Silly me had got the plastic spacers and top-out bumpers the wrong way round (at the bottom of the legs but inside) Amazed how much of a difference it made, they were horrible that way round!

Mugboo

Is there a wrong way round? I didn’t take them out but they defo got jiggled around and could have flipped over..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Certainly worth trying less air so you can fully work the cartridge. I normally charge the cartridge before refitting the top cap to the stanchion.

Unlikely to be wrong spring/spacer combo if you’ve not removed anything from the rod although if something (spacer) dropped off it would present like this.

Mugboo

One more go then with less air, fingers crossed.

andrewh
    Free Member

I didn’t think there was a wrong way but there is (Maguras anyway)
    Try yours the other way round and see what happens.

Mugboo

Still no luck so back to the drawing board 🙁

maxray
    Free Member

I know it’s time consuming but worth putting the old ones back on to see if it rectifies the problem? At least you will know if it is the rebuild or the new stanchions?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mugboo – Member
    I am attempting to sort out a knackered set of forks for a mate.

Let me guess? 🙂

Mugboo

It may be time confusing but it’s also good practice

Mugboo

Numpty alert!

Bro in law was round last night and noticed one of the old stanchions has something circliped in the end.. So I’ll try again 😳

LoCo
    Free Member

Negative spring plate/cup for the negative spring situated on the spring assmembly below the main piston 😉

wwaswas

oops.

Simon

😆

Mugboo

You live and you learn. Just some of us take a little longer….

Mugboo

Amazing what a difference it makes with that negative springemygiggamy!

Thanks again folks 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘So I serviced my forks and now they top out with a clunk! Why?’ is closed to new replies.